Grilled Pork Loin

Options
Having trouble calculating the calories. On the package it says 190 per 4oz. serving. None of the grilled pork loins I see on here have that many calories. Is it because if you grill it there are less calories? Or should it just be the calories on the package no matter how I fix it.

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Use the information on the package.
  • amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options
    use the package information. I eat it ALL the time and LOVE it, grilled or in the oven...
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    why would you not use the package information????????
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    Grilled pork will have more calories per ounce than the same pork raw.
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    Also- Are you using a food scale to measure that 4oz?

My pork chops last week were over 8oz each. 4oz of meat was a sad reality check for me.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    chill21516 wrote: »
    Is it because if you grill it there are less calories?

If you start with 4 oz and grill it, it will end up smaller, because it will lose a lot of water.

For example, using entirely made-up numbers to illustrate this:

Raw is 200 calories for 4 oz (and the package information is for raw unless it says otherwise), or 50 calories per oz (I'm using 200 just because it's easier to divide evenly).

When cooked it's only 3 oz, but still 200 calories.

Therefore, the calories per oz for cooked are 200/3 or 67.

If you weigh out 4 oz of *grilled* meat, then, it would be 268 calories.

Of course, you also need to log separately anything you add to the meat when cooking, like oil or a marinade.

I think one common source of underestimating meat--in addition to not weighing it, of course--is using raw entries for meat that is weighed or measured when cooked.
  • chill21516
    chill21516 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Adding a food to the data base is kinda a pain. But the pork loins that are on there all ready are less in calories and unfortunately I did not notice the difference until I all ready used what was there several times. The same thing happened with sliced cheese. Even with all the wrong information I have lost 40 lbs. since Feb. My original goal was 60. The last 20 seems to be getting difficult. So correct information is important. Adding another food to the data base seems like a pain, but that's what I'm gonna have to do to keep it accurate. Thank you for all the help.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Since you are using foods with package information, do they not have the brands you eat?
  • Kexessa
    Kexessa Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    ASKyle wrote: »
    Also- Are you using a food scale to measure that 4oz?
    4oz of meat was a sad reality check for me.

Once I started using a scale almost everything turned out that way for me. You don't really know how small the serving size on the label is until you weigh it out.
  • chill21516
    chill21516 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have a very nice food scale. I use it all the time. I am in a wheelchair so every single calorie counts. I can't believe the success I am having with Myfitnesspal. I tried every diet in the universe. Been overweight for 16 years. Basically this calorie counter is just portion control and apparently that is what works for me. We just recently discovered that pork loin is cheap and easy to fix and WAY better for you than beef. But I threw the package away before I entered it and all I could remember is 4oz. was 190 calories. With all the brands that are all ready in there every single one of them were less. That is what made me question it. The next one I get I will definitely get the info off the back and enter it in the database correctly.