Any advice or tips?

Options
_daylinsoto
_daylinsoto Posts: 21 Member
edited July 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
recently I have gained a lot of weight and I am now determined to do something about it since I looked in the mirror and don't feel happy as well as now I am in the plus size section. I am 18 years old I do work but just 5 days a week and around 6-8 hour shifts I mainly have a lot of free time since I have no kids! Today is my first day and I am open to receiving any tips or advice that I can do.
Thank you in advance!

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Welcome.

Read the first post in this forum entitled "Most Helpful Posts".

If any questions come up, just ask.
  • HealthyHappy619
    HealthyHappy619 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    ^^^this

Also, any goals that you make a priority are goals you can achieve!
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    The best thing that you can do is to keep moving...and to start tracking everything!

Over time, tracking can teach you a lot about what works and does not work for your body.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    The Most Helpful Posts are a great place to start. My only other advice would be to take babysteps. Start slowly. Don't try to change your entire life in one day. Doing that is the reason many people fail. Make one small change, like logging every single thing you eat and make it a habit. Then tackle something new once you're comfortable with that. Also remember that motivation is fleeting, you need commitment and determination to see you through. And weight loss is not linear, you will lose more some weeks than others and it's completely normal.

Best wishes to you!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Eat at a deficit and you'll lose. Most important, get a food scale. Good luck!
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Losing weight isn't the key to happiness....Happiness is the key to losing weight...

The most important ingredient in food preparation is your MOOD.

There is perfection in imperfection.....

I weigh my food,
    I look in the mirror often and love myself NOW..
    eat simply, add a bit of this and a bit of that...and enjoy the process of fixing food.

• _daylinsoto
    Options
    Annr wrote: »
    Losing weight isn't the key to happiness....Happiness is the key to losing weight...

I weigh my food,
    eat simply, add a bit of this and a bit of that...and enjoy the process of fixing food.

How did you weigh it? Like let's say I weigh a piece of fruit what do I do with that?
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options

I weigh my food,

How did you weigh it? Like let's say I weigh a piece of fruit what do I do with that?
    Many of the food entries have an option for weight measurements. Weighing your food ensures greater accuracy with your diary entries which should help you keep losing weight since you'll have a better idea of what you're actually eating.

Many people will either choose a generic option like "1 medium banana" or "1 cup of watermelon" but the problem is, how big is that banana actually and how much watermelon is really in the cup. If you cut pieces smaller, or mash food down into the cup there will be more in there so you could be eating a lot more calories than you think you are.

The ideal method is to use a digital kitchen scale with a tare function then add the entry into your food diary using ounces or grams.
  • _daylinsoto
    Options
    Great thank you! I'll be going to the store soon to buy it.
    SueInAz wrote: »

I weigh my food,

Many of the food entries have an option for weight measurements. Weighing your food ensures greater accuracy with your diary entries which should help you keep losing weight since you'll have a better idea of what you're actually eating.

Many people will either choose a generic option like "1 medium banana" or "1 cup of watermelon" but the problem is, how big is that banana actually and how much watermelon is really in the cup. If you cut pieces smaller, or mash food down into the cup there will be more in there so you could be eating a lot more calories than you think you are.

The ideal method is to use a digital kitchen scale with a tare function then add the entry into your food diary using ounces or grams.

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    The more healthy foods you eat, the fuller you will be and the more nutrients you'll get. :)

Exercise. Keep trying new kinds until you find something you like. Put swimming at the top of the list of things to try. It burns calories like nothing else, works your muscles and is a nice mental break. :)

Don't give up. That should come first, really.

Never give up.