Hyperthyroidism and what to expect from here on out

Options
I'm 18 and I was just diagnosed with hyperthyroidism yesterday and started on my meds. What do I have to expect? I only suggested I get tested bc how I gained so much weight in just a few months and since I've been changing everything I eat and doing more physical activity since then but I'm not sure what to expect with this change everyone says so many different things

Replies

• flamingblades
    flamingblades Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Talk with your Doctor or a Nutritionist for advice on a food and exercise plan.
  • yellowantphil
    yellowantphil Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Are you sure it’s not hypothyroidism? Weight loss would be a more common symptom of hyperthyroidism.
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I assume you mean hypo. Not hyper.

Expect to get a lot of blood work done. Make sure you have a doctor that's testing for FT3, FT4, TPO antibodies (only needs to be tested once), TSH, and vitamin D3 at the minimum.

Once you're properly regulated with medication you'll be just as normal as everyone else
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Hypothyroidism may cause a slight water weight gain initially due to increased cellular absorption, but beyond that its all CICO. Once you're being treated and your hormone levels are stable as the previous poster stated you're as normal as everyone else.

Jillian Michaels is hypothyroid as are several elite athletes.
  • Lisas4313TeamRH
    Lisas4313TeamRH Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have hypothyroidism underactive thyroid. I have gained about 4st. Although I stopped smoking 4 years ago and also have MS. Im finding it difficult to lose weight. I swim 2 times per week. Was having probs with portion sizes. Ive been told as having thyroid probs my metabolism slows down so I have to work harder, which os difficult.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    Hypothyroidism may cause a slight water weight gain initially due to increased cellular absorption, but beyond that its all CICO. Once you're being treated and your hormone levels are stable as the previous poster stated you're as normal as everyone else.

I have seen in a few people with hypo, that their BMR/RMR is lower than the statistical average, which will lower their TDEE, which requires a lower calorie intake. But, it definitely still comes down to CICO, but finding that "ideal" number may be a bit more difficult.

• rushfive
    rushfive Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    Must be hypo... I had hyper and lost a lot of weight and was Very tired.
    I had mine removed...
    It will take some time to get the meds. right for you, but in the end cico is what works.

For weight loss, eat at a calorie deficit and exercise, like you are.... and the weight will come off.

Not sure what "changes you are talking about..... when I started my meds, the changes were more energy. Also I have to have it checked by doctor to be sure numbers are always ok... Now once a year. You will always be on the medicine...kindof a change.

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    esmith145 wrote: »
    I'm 18 and I was just diagnosed with hyperthyroidism yesterday and started on my meds. What do I have to expect? I only suggested I get tested bc how I gained so much weight in just a few months and since I've been changing everything I eat and doing more physical activity since then but I'm not sure what to expect with this change everyone says so many different things

Don't you mean hypothyroid? Hyperthyroid means causes fast weight loss.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Hyperthyroidism means the thyroid gland in your neck is overproducing hormones. Treatment includes medication, radiation, or surgery.

Hypothyroidism means your thyroid is underproducing. (Hashimoto's is autoimmune, meaning your body is attacking your thyroid with antibodies. It's diagnosed by blood tests plus an ultrasound of your neck.) The treatment for hypothyroidism is hormone replacement—either NDT (desiccated pig or pig + cow thyroid glands) or synthetic T4 (Synthroid) and/or synthetic T3 (Cytomel).

Your endocrinologist will test your thyroid levels regularly and adjust your meds accordingly. They'll reduce the fatigue so you can be more active. But to lose the weight you need to log everything you eat & drink accurately & honestly. Logging works.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »

I have seen in a few people with hypo, that their BMR/RMR is lower than the statistical average, which will lower their TDEE, which requires a lower calorie intake. But, it definitely still comes down to CICO, but finding that "ideal" number may be a bit more difficult.

Once properly medicated their BMR/RMR is back to normal, so this is only a factor when someone is off their meds (e.g. for periodic scans). Even so the drop is only ~10%.

The impact is usually felt by patients in the lack of energy and desire to sleep all the time, lowering CO, yet many people still feel hungry all the time. Many suspect a link to leptin production; however there is no scientific evidence supporting this that I know of.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    The impact is usually felt by patients in the lack of energy and desire to sleep all the time, lowering CO, yet many people still feel hungry all the time. Many suspect a link to leptin production; however there is no scientific evidence supporting this that I know of.

Anectdata: I honestly thought I lost (and later gained) a whole lot of weight for no good reason. Eventually I was diagnosed with Hashi's and put on Synthroid, but I kept gaining.

Then I learned to log everything I eat & drink accurately & honestly. What a wakeup call! I think thyroid disease has messed up my hunger cues.

I'm less hungry when I use MFP's protein & fiber goals as minimums and ignore fat & carbs. And I lost more slowly than most MFPers—so be patient! But I did it just like everybody else. Logging works.