Want to start swimming

Options
Hey everyone, I have a couple questions about starting to go swimming. I know how to swim...as in float or go under water and kick my legs/arms but I don't actually know the proper form or how to do a breast stroke, etc.

I was going to sign up at the YMCA (possibly today). Should I go to their swimming lessons that they have scheduled? They only have 1 adult one (that's today) and 1 private. I have no idea how these lessons work or what I'll be doing exactly. The one today actually said "Swim club/adult lessons" which kind of makes me nervous =\

Anyway, I wanted some feedback for people who swim or have in the past. How did you get started? Also my swimsuit is one of those dresses...I wanted something cheap that didn't show off my fat. It does ride up when I swim so I was just going to buy a bikini bottom to put underneath it. Should I just shell out the extra money for a proper one piece or will this be OK?

Replies

• wolfgate
    wolfgate Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Call the YMCA and ask to speak with the aquatics director or swim team coach or whoever handles their swimming program. They will welcome you and help you decide what the best path is given their program and instructors and how they have things set up. Don't be afraid or intimidated - they will love to help you find the best path. They can help you with the swimsuit part also.

In general YMCAs are a great place to start swimming. My daughter swims for our local YMCA's year round swim team. Though the team is quite good and has quite a few future college swimmers, they also work with new and adult swimmers - who don't get thrown in with the kids or anything like that. They will help you feel comfortable and find a start that works for you.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    I was a fish since I was little, but I learned proper strokes and technique on a swim team. I'm sure the lessons would be helpful to you and also help you feel more comfortable in the pool. Also you'll find that swimming laps can suck if you don't get your breathing down so that alone would be a good reason to check out the lessons.

If you have a swim dress, be warned that the drag will actually make swimming more difficult for you. I would recommend a one piece made for lap swimming but you could definitely try it out in your current suit and see how it goes. No point paying for something before you know you need it :)
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    Adult swim lessons are good idea. Once you get comfortable, practice will help improve technique.
    Lots of great video on youtube as well. One minute and a half video cut my strokes per length from 24 down to 20. :)
    Once you start swimming for fitness just keep thinking 'one more lap.' By that I mean, each week try to do one more lap for each swim session than you did the week before.
    I was not a life long swimmer or swim team or anything. I swim because I can't do impact based exercise.
    My morning wake up call is a 4 mile swim now. If I could swim faster, it would be more distance :)
  • xxhieixx
    xxhieixx Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone :) I called and left a message for the director. It doesn't look like I'll be able to start until next week (going out of town in a couple days) since she hasn't gotten back to me yet. I'll ask her about the swimsuit as well...I haven't bought the bottom yet so if it's going to drag I'd rather not bother and just buy a better swimsuit. Wish I wouldn't have been acting so self conscious before...would have saved me money!

Thanks again, hearing from you all really helped. I'm excited to start!