How to stop doubt?

Options
Allison1385
Allison1385 Posts: 353 Member
edited July 2015 in Motivation and Support
I am constantly doubting myself. Like I can't believe I can lose more weight. I've lost 30 lbs so far, but I feel like I don't see myself losing more! I thought this when I was at 224 lbs, then again at 214, and now here I am at 194 lbs feeling the doubts again. It almost feels like those were just flukes and just luck. Except I have been putting the effort in. Eating right, getting my exercise in. I have to start believing in myself! Anyone else feel like that?

Replies

• hecticlife302
    hecticlife302 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    U are ur motivation don't give up on yourself
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I can't say that I've had those types of doubts, no, but don't let your doubts be a self-fulfilling prophesy. You already have results from the effort you've put into it, why would you not be able to continue on? What are you afraid will happen to change what you've been doing so far and the results you've gotten from it?
  • jrc5423
    jrc5423 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I do this a lot, particularly after a long stretch of healthy eating or working out. It's almost an anxiety over whether I will reach my goal. What happens if I don't ever get to the fitness level I want? What if I stay at this weight forever and can't tone up? Which is absolutely ludicrous if you think about the science behind it. If you are eating healthy and at a calorie deficit, along with regular workouts, of course you will continue to lose and eventually reach your goal, no matter how slow it seems to go. Plus even if the worst case scenario materializes and you never reach your goal, you are still at a lower weight and better health than when you started. When I find myself on this negative thinking track, I have to consciously stop and make myself think other thoughts, or focus on the positives from the previous day (like yay, I came in under my calorie goal, or yay, I added 30 more minutes of cardio). Two of my closest friends are very into health and fitness and they give great motivation. I love talking to them about my workouts and stalking their diaries for new meal ideas. Just yesterday I signed up with my friend to do a 5k. I'm a little bit anxious about it as I haven't done one in a year, but her success pushes me to push myself harder as well. If you surround yourself with like minded people and people that treat fitness and healthy eating as a priority you'll feel a lot more motivated. I find I spend less time with my friends that drink and party a lot just because my active lifestyle doesn't seem to jive with theirs anymore. I also look at a lot of fitspo pictures. I know fitspo gets a lot of backlash about setting unhealthy goals and everything, but I find it motivating to look at...that way I'm always keeping my "goal body" in the back of my mind. Before and after weight loss pictures inspiring...reddit body transformations has a lot of good ones. After all if they all did it I can too. I also keep a list of all my fitness/health goals and reasons why I want to achieve them in my planner at work. That way whenever I'm feeling down or feel like I might fall off the wagon so to speak I can just read over them and it helps me stay on track.
  • brandyosu
    brandyosu Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Ah, yes. Waiting for the other shoe to drop. I do this exact same thing. I don't know what to say to alleviate your doubts as mine always exist in the back of my mind as well...but, if you are doing the right things now and continue doing the right things I have to believe that it will continue to work and that you (and I) will be smart enough to make any necessary adjustments when/if they become necessary.
  • TheAncientMariner
    TheAncientMariner Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Feelings of doubt and inadequacy are unnatural. You have to find the route cause of why you feel that way about yourself, your ability, and therefore your progress. Do not look so much at how far you have to go, but rather how far you've come. Good luck!