Getting a fitness competition body

Options
Hey, hello there! Is anyone here who's thinking of getting into fitness for real? I've been thinking for a while and I've made a decision, but I need a partner-someone that's in the same situation. I want to compete and I need to start somewhere... Anyone?

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I've competed in bodybuilding and I'll be doing another show in the spring. If you are considering competing there are a few things you should know first.

1. A competition ready body is temporary. You cannot maintain those body fat levels for long.
    2. You need a few years of lifting experience before you are ready to compete, even in the less muscular categories.
    3. The right coach makes a difference. If they try to make you eat 800 calories or encourage steroid use, run.
  • Simonettess
    Simonettess Posts: 7 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    I've competed in bodybuilding and I'll be doing another show in the spring. If you are considering competing there are a few things you should know first.

1. A competition ready body is temporary. You cannot maintain those body fat levels for long.
    2. You need a few years of lifting experience before you are ready to compete, even in the less muscular categories.
    3. The right coach makes a difference. If they try to make you eat 800 calories or encourage steroid use, run.

Thanks for the tips. :)

I already have 2 years of every day gym and I just want something more. I know that the competiton body won't last, but I want to see those abs and be able to get rid of all that fat. I have already went to a nutritionist that set me for 1500 calories/ day. What I need right now is as much help as I can get from those that went through this. And I need to say that the only meat I eat is fish - I guess that plays an important role in my protein intake.

P.S Sorry for any language mistakes, I'm not a native speaker. :#
  • golgoroo
    golgoroo Posts: 69 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I realize you're asking for a "partner", but until you find someone with similar goals, you should try Youtube! A few channels I've been following lately: Em Dunc, Heidi Somers, Nikki Blakketter, Robin Gallant, and Shana Emily. Most of these women compete in bikini (as opposed to fitness). But it gives you an idea of their training & prep & their daily intake. I find it very motivating to see the work they put in!!
  • Simonettess
    Options
    golgoroo wrote: »
    I realize you're asking for a "partner", but until you find someone with similar goals, you should try Youtube! A few channels I've been following lately: Em Dunc, Heidi Somers, Nikki Blakketter, Robin Gallant, and Shana Emily. Most of these women compete in bikini (as opposed to fitness). But it gives you an idea of their training & prep & their daily intake. I find it very motivating to see the work they put in!!

Thank you!
  • usmcmp
    Options

I already have 2 years of every day gym and I just want something more. I know that the competiton body won't last, but I want to see those abs and be able to get rid of all that fat. I have already went to a nutritionist that set me for 1500 calories/ day. What I need right now is as much help as I can get from those that went through this. And I need to say that the only meat I eat is fish - I guess that plays an important role in my protein intake.

That's great that you have gym experience, but you need several years of lifting experience. The focus of the lifting should be on building muscle. The muscle is very important and if you skip that step you'll look skinny and sick on stage instead of fit.
  • Simonettess
    Options

That's great that you have gym experience, but you need several years of lifting experience. The focus of the lifting should be on building muscle. The muscle is very important and if you skip that step you'll look skinny and sick on stage instead of fit.

I'm already told that I'm too muscular for a girl(especially my legs) and that I should stop lifting. I don't know how to look at it. right now I'll focus on losing some fat so I can see where I am with the muscular tissue. Even if it will take years I still wanna do it. And thank you so much for all this information.
  • usmcmp
    Options

I'm already told that I'm too muscular for a girl(especially my legs) and that I should stop lifting. I don't know how to look at it. right now I'll focus on losing some fat so I can see where I am with the muscular tissue. Even if it will take years I still wanna do it. And thank you so much for all this information.

If you want to compete you need muscle. You might get told you should pick a different category based on how you are built, but the category you compete in is usually picked for you by your genetics.

I'm a competitive bodybuilder. I went into my first show thinking my thighs were huge and I left there being told I had no muscle compared to the other women.
  • Simonettess
    Options

If you want to compete you need muscle. You might get told you should pick a different category based on how you are built, but the category you compete in is usually picked for you by your genetics.

I'm a competitive bodybuilder. I went into my first show thinking my thighs were huge and I left there being told I had no muscle compared to the other women.

Oh, wow! I guess I'll have to work&wait more than I expected...

• misslisaaahh
    misslisaaahh Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Can I add you? I'm 23, focused on building muscle over losing weight and seriously interested in competition as well (though I am at least a year and a half behind the point where I could consider looking into competing). Currently I have a too high % body fat but am gaining about 1.5lbs of muscle a week and recompositioning. ~2300cal/day in 5 meals giving special focus on proteins and carbs. I am not a competitor, but I've learned a lot and can relate to your journey.

Also, if you're looking for someone external to relate to, I have a friend from college who just made it to her first nationals competition (where she was amazing and showed huge improvements, but did not yet receive her pro card) and she has a blog about her journey if you're interested in that sort of thing.
  • usmcmp
    Options
    Can I add you? I'm 23, focused on building muscle over losing weight and seriously interested in competition as well (though I am at least a year and a half behind the point where I could consider looking into competing). Currently I have a too high % body fat but am gaining about 1.5lbs of muscle a week and recompositioning. ~2300cal/day in 5 meals giving special focus on proteins and carbs. I am not a competitor, but I've learned a lot and can relate to your journey.

Also, if you're looking for someone external to relate to, I have a friend from college who just made it to her first nationals competition (where she was amazing and showed huge improvements, but did not yet receive her pro card) and she has a blog about her journey if you're interested in that sort of thing.

Women bulking gain about a pound of muscle per month, with perfection conditions it's possible to gain about 1.5 pounds per month for women. You are not gaining 1.5 pounds of muscle per week.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options

So... you want to compete in bodybuilding and you were told to stop lifting? Makes sense.
  • misslisaaahh
    misslisaaahh Posts: 10 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I'm sure some of it is fat and some of it is water and some of it is beginner gains. I know it can't be completely muscle. Anyway, that's not the point of my post, I'm just trying to give a quick sum of what I'm doing right now. But thanks for the facts, that seems helpful to know.
  • Simonettess
    Options

Yes, I'm interested. I've just added you :smiley:
  • Simonettess
    Options

So... you want to compete in bodybuilding and you were told to stop lifting? Makes sense.

I get the irony, but it makes sense for those that don't know what I'm doing or those that are "concerned" that I'll get too manly.

• usmcmp
    Options

I get the irony, but it makes sense for those that don't know what I'm doing or those that are "concerned" that I'll get too manly.

Ignore them. It's your body, you make it look however you want. If they don't like how you look there are tons of other people out there who will. Getting into competing means you will make tons of friends, none of which will think or call you manly. These new friends will support your goals instead of discouraging you.