I'm not a good cook

Options
2»

Replies

• vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    Take heart; cooking doesn't have to be an all-or-nothing proposition. The best thing to do to become a good -- or great -- cook is to keep doing it.

Make what you like. Basics are great & satisfying. Skillet dinners = fantastic. Roasted vegetables are sublime.

I've been using Betty Crocker cookbooks for all 30 years of my marriage. Fancy? No. Reliable? Yes. And delicious.
  • kimw91
    kimw91 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Start simple. Teach yourself the basics: how to grill or pan fry a chicken breast, 3 basic spice/flavor combinations (e.g. Italian, Asian and Middle-Eastern), how to cook pasta/rice, how to prepare your favorite types of vegetables.

Now start combining and make use of canned ingredients. Spaghetti with canned tuna and diced tomatoes is on the table in 10 minutes. Spice it up with some Italian seasoning. Grilled chicken can be used in salads, pasta with some pesto, as a side for boiled veg, tossed into rice with Asian seasoning etc. Canned beans with some ground beef, 2 types of vegetables and tomato sauce make a great basic chili.

I wouldn't bother with entire cookbooks straight away, just look up individual recipes or techniques to start with.
  • meadowlark42
    meadowlark42 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Lots of great advice here, I while heartedly support the using the library, taking a cooking class, etc. Another great resource - YouTube has thousands of video cooking tutorials :). I would recommend investing in just two or three good tools, so you aren't hampered by your equipment. One really good knife that feels good in your hand and a knife sharpener (a sharp knife means you are much less likely to cut yourself, and will be easier to cut with), and a heavy bottomed skillet (which will make for an even heat, and mean you are less likely to burn your food). A crock pot is also a good idea, there is nothing more forgiving and easy to make a good, healthy easy dinner with.
  • laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    Do you have any relatives or friends who like to cook? Set up a few times with them to learn their favorite basic recipes - which tools to use, which flavors go well together, how to make homemade dressings and sauces.
    YouTube and the Food Network might give you some ideas too.
    I agree with Skinnytaste and Budget bytes. Easy, clear recipes!