Avocados

Options

Replies

• Lennonluv2
    Lennonluv2 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    Love Avocados. Almond milk + frozen banana+ avocado in my blender=Heaven on earth.
    And as someone else already said they have alot of good fat in them.
  • PinkDeerBoy
    PinkDeerBoy Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I love avocados, even if I don't get them often. I'm another one that could just eat them out of the skin. For those that only eat half a day, how do you store it? Just saran wrap it and toss it in the fridge? I worry about it browning and getting gross overnight.
  • Ozzzzzzzzzz
    Ozzzzzzzzzz Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I could eat them right out of the skin with a spoon :*

Me too, nom nom nom
  • shrinkingletters
    shrinkingletters Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    An ounce of avocado is what, 45-50 cals? And that's pretty generous, too. Eat your avocado.
  • loulamb7
    loulamb7 Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    An ounce of avocado is what, 45-50 cals? And that's pretty generous, too. Eat your avocado.

I was just about to type that 2 oz is 90 calories, which could be about 1/2 a haas avocado. So yes, eat your avocado, as long as it fit your calories.
  • blondie_girl14
    blondie_girl14 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the input...I do love avocado and I did get it on my salad today..and it was delicious. Love the creamy texture.
    I would eat a small one everyday, I think it would fill me up more also. :)
  • Mgtei
    Mgtei Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    They are delicious and if I have a ripe one and the calories to eat it, I will.
    Mgtei wrote: »
    Avocado half + roasted sweet potato = heaven on a plate (ymmv).

I've never done this. Do you just smash it all up together?
    @jemhh I cube the avocado half in the shell and then turn it inside out over the potato and scrape out any cubesthat don't come out with a butter knife. Then scoop up the cubes with the potato, but you could smash it too.

• afatpersonwholikesfood
    afatpersonwholikesfood Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    I also top my sweet potatoes with avocado sometimes. I'll also add sauteed spinach on top. I love avocado. I'm eating half an avocado with some black beans right now.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    They are delicious and if I have a ripe one and the calories to eat it, I will.

I've never done this. Do you just smash it all up together?
    @jemhh I cube the avocado half in the shell and then turn it inside out over the potato and scrape out any cubesthat don't come out with a butter knife. Then scoop up the cubes with the potato, but you could smash it too.

Sounds delicious. I will definitely have to try this.
  • dmnice145
    dmnice145 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hey Guys! Super Excited to be apart of a cool fitness community! Check out my 30 Day weight Loss Challenge: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKnyRgv3VQs
    Subscribed! Please subscribe to mine: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkz7Zl7jt3MFEwghxRi3Xyw/videos
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    I used to dislike avocados' texture, but I'm a convert. Last weekend my wife made a cucumber-avocado soup while I was putting together a bean-chickpea salad and pickling some beets. It was rich, creamy, yummy, and very healthy.
  • mattyc772014
    mattyc772014 Posts: 3,543 Member
    Options
    I would bath in guacamole. :)
  • x_blackrainbow
    x_blackrainbow Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I love avocado on salads and black bean burgers and sometimes alone as a snack. I've got some on the counter just waiting to be made into guacamole later. :)
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    I love avocado so much, I eat that with almost everything!! In my sandwiches, my tacos, my burritos, along with my carne asada, my guac, by itself with salt and lime, rolled up in a corn tortilla with crumbled up queso fresco, smushed on toast with lime and Valentina hot sauce (which btw, the hot sauce also goes with everything :smiley: )... breakfast, lunch, and dinner!!
    :yum:
  • SunnyPacheco
    SunnyPacheco Posts: 142 Member
    Options

YUM. Now I'm hungry.
  • pstegman888
    pstegman888 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    bwogilvie wrote: »
    I used to dislike avocados' texture, but I'm a convert. Last weekend my wife made a cucumber-avocado soup while I was putting together a bean-chickpea salad and pickling some beets. It was rich, creamy, yummy, and very healthy.

Ok, you have GOT to post the recipe for that soup ... it sounds delicious!
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    I would bath in guacamole. :)

Ditto
  • spatulamom
    spatulamom Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I love them. I made a cucumber/tomato/avocado salad last night and have been chowing down on it. It's perfect for summer. I also like to eat them spread on toast instead of butter.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I know avocados are high in fat and calories...and the carbs are meh...but I know they are super good for you...
    Is it worth all the calories and fat???
    I love avocados but why are they so high in fat/calories
    What do you guys think about avocados?

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/fruits-and-fruit-juices/1843/2

there is nothing wrong with dietary fat...it is an essential macro-nutrient...and avocados are chalk full of heart healthy monounsaturated fats...and beyond that, caloric density has nothing to do with nutritional quality. Avocados are a nutritional powerhouse as are numerous other, calorie dense foods like nuts, etc...

I eat 1/2 an avocado pretty much every day...and really, it's not all that great of a calorie bomb...it's like 100 calories or something.
  • tiffyland21
    tiffyland21 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I love avocado drinks ( half avocado and half water + a bit of sugar + a lot of ice or just put it in the freezer to make ice cream) or just eat it with a spoon