Can't stop bingeing.

Options
I just don't know how to walk away and stay away. If the food is around, I will eat it. Mostly sugar and carbs. I can't stop thinking about them and eventually give in till they're gone. Like the remaining 6 donuts in the breakroom. I ate the entire bag of twizzlers yesterday. I just can't stop. What tips, mind tricks, anything, do you do to help you when the binge hits? It seems like I can't just will it away anymore. it's only gone when the source is gone. :neutral:

Replies

• yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    Well do you binge on fruits and veggies?
  • betuel75
    betuel75 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    I had the same issues. I would eat 6-12 donuts from the break room then after work go looking for more sweets to eat. When i gained some weight back then i decided again i needed to lean out and stop eating the donuts and binging. Until i made the conscious decision that i wanted it more than the donuts/snacks/food i could not stop. Now i can go to the break room and not even care about the donuts there, its because mentally i want to be lean more than i want the donuts/food. I even have a donut now but thats it. Its mental.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    You have to learn how to say "No".

There really isn't any magic to it...not saying its easy, because it often isn't...but that's it....just say "No"...
  • cabwj
    cabwj Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    I, too, have problems with control- if it's there I'll eat it. For me I have to simply not be around the triggers. If I buy a bag of chips I'm going to eat the whole thing (in one sitting) so I don't buy it. On the occasion that I want to work chips into my daily allowance I buy a single serve bag. The breakroom at work is a tough one as I have no control over what others bring to share- I just stay out of there. I use an insulated bag to carry my breakfast, snacks, and lunch so I don't even go in the breakroom to use the fridge, then I leave the building to eat my lunch.
  • felinasbeads
    felinasbeads Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Actually, sometimes I have binged on fruits and veggies, like broccolli or carrots with just a serving size of ranch dressing or perhaps blueberries. I used to be in a place (mentally) where I could just say no. I seem to have lost the map back. Part of it is why I always tell myself, start fresh tomorrow. Or just don't eat the rest of the day. At 37 years old and years of binging, yeah, it's starting to wear on my and I've broken down to the point where I just do it because I know I can't stop myself. I'm good for a few days. Then here comes the binge. Starts out small. Then I say f it and I eat all the foodz.
  • Dootzy1
    Dootzy1 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    There are times that I have to re-learn how to say "no" to myself. Just be fierce! :| After you get used to avoiding the binge episodes, you'll realize how many things you are able to say "yes" to!
  • lizberan87
    lizberan87 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have had an issue with binging as well. I have battled it for years. Only in the past few months it has gotten pretty bad. I finally started packing on the pounds but couldn't get myself to stop binging. Some things I finally learned about the binging:

Don't deprive. One reason why I binged was because I was craving those particular foods so much but wouldn't let myself have them. I now set 2 meals a week that I can "treat" myself so I don't binge. I have a sweet tooth, so I set a dessert I have been craving aside and eat that for one cheat meal. Then usually about mid-week I have an actual meal I have been craving. Pizza or what. I have been doing this for a month now and I have not binged..Plus it has helped me break a plateau :)

Water. I make sure I drink at LEAST 48oz water spread out throughout the day..and believe it or not it has helped with my cravings. I have heard that not drinking enough can cause cravings for sweets and what not.

Talk to yourself. Just talk to yourself! Tell yourself out loud how you will feel after you binge! Believe it or not, it helps!

Hope this helps :) Good luck! Everyone has their own "balance" when they are dieting, you just have to find yours. It takes some time!
  • yopeeps025
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Actually, sometimes I have binged on fruits and veggies, like broccolli or carrots with just a serving size of ranch dressing or perhaps blueberries. I used to be in a place (mentally) where I could just say no. I seem to have lost the map back. Part of it is why I always tell myself, start fresh tomorrow. Or just don't eat the rest of the day. At 37 years old and years of binging, yeah, it's starting to wear on my and I've broken down to the point where I just do it because I know I can't stop myself. I'm good for a few days. Then here comes the binge. Starts out small. Then I say f it and I eat all the foodz.

First stop putting off bettering yourself for tomorrow. That's an excuse to continue down this path that gets worse as you get older.
  • CocoaBeautiful
    CocoaBeautiful Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    If you feel like you have a food issue and it's not about telling yourself "no" go to www.oa.org You can find times for phone meetings in your area. There are face to face meetings as well if you prefer. Hope this helps.
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    / *Won't stop binging.

ftfy

There's a difference, right ?
  • daaaaaanielle
    daaaaaanielle Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I avoid buying anything I'm prone to binge-eating in the first place unless I've planned for it. And if I've planned for it, even if it works out cheaper to buy a larger pack, I'll only buy what I've planned for. So if I've decided I want to have 1 doughnut, I will buy 1 doughnut only. Even if it's "cheaper" on a per doughnut basis to buy 6 at the same time. You can't binge on it if you never get it in the first place.

As for avoiding food in work, it's probably not realistic to just never go in the breakroom again or totally avoid meetings with people who like to bring snacks along. Bringing your own snacks helps a little because it might help you feel less hungry, and keep your mind/hands pre-occupied when there's food around. But that only really helps overcome minor cravings.

Most people will eat something and feel a bit guilty for eating it. Or eat way too much of something and only realise afterwards. That's pretty natural and there's nothing wrong or bad about that. The only way to avoid that is to be very mindful of everything you eat. I plan everything meticulously and I treat my calories now like I treat my money. If I have £10 in my purse, I can't spend £11 because I only have £10. If I walk into a shop and try to buy an £11 item with £10, they won't give me it. If I want to spend £11, I need to work out how to get that extra £1. It's the same for me with calories. I know I want to lose weight and to do so, I have a calorie budget of 1500. If I go over it without "earning" the extra calories via exercise, I put myself another day away from hitting my goal, and I'd rather hit my goal ASAP so I can eat a bit more on a daily basis. Most days, that's enough of a motivator for me to avoid the doughnuts and sweets.

But if you feel like you straight up lose control when there's food around, then it's possible you have Binge-Eating Disorder which would require the help of a therapist. I am obviously not a doctor so I'd recommend thinking carefully about it and perhaps speaking to your doctor.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/726-binge-eating-support-group
    That's a group for people struggling with binge-eating so it might be worth having a read through some of the posts on there.
  • Nuke_64
    Nuke_64 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Did you log it? I'd suggest (and what I do) is log it and continue on. Don't let a morning binge ruin the rest of the day.
  • Sherbear0123
    Sherbear0123 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I can only tell you what has helped me tremendously. I raised my calorie goal to have a smaller deficit. Might take longer to lose, but by not restricting myself or anything from my diet, I am more satisfied and I find I don't have major cravings or binge. Good luck to you!
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    Nuke_64 wrote: »
    Did you log it? I'd suggest (and what I do) is log it and continue on. Don't let a morning binge ruin the rest of the day.

Funny thing is I didn't really stop binge eating until I saw how many calories I was eating in one sitting.
  • AndyCool22
    AndyCool22 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    something i do with unhealthy or less-healthy foods is measure out a serving and then put the rest away. might be an option -- or for the donuts, take 1/2 of one or 1 donut and then leave. don't come back! =p
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »

Funny thing is I didn't really stop binge eating until I saw how many calories I was eating in one sitting.

Yep. When I started pre-logging what I wanted to snack on in the evenings it really opened my eyes. It almost always stops me from eating it (or rather eating all of it) - I measure out 1 or 2 portions and put the rest away.
  • queenbekks
    queenbekks Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Maybe look for one of the Binge Eating groups on here, they're very supportive! I have a binge-eating problem too and its something I'm working on with a counselor.
    Honestly, one of the most helpful things I've ever heard is this: if its a trigger food for you, just avoid it. I know this is contrary to the currently popular idea of 'everything in moderation keeps you from feeling deprived and gorging on 'forbidden foods'. And I really think the moderation advice is good advice for most people, but it just doesn't work for me. I eat LOTS of different kinds of foods that I love, but not my binge triggers. Once I give it up, I really don't miss it. Its the only thing that really works for me. Good luck!
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    zdyb23456 wrote: »
    yopeeps025 wrote: »

Yep. When I started pre-logging what I wanted to snack on in the evenings it really opened my eyes. It almost always stops me from eating it (or rather eating all of it) - I measure out 1 or 2 portions and put the rest away.

I used to binge eat anywhere from 2000-2500 calories in one sitting. With alcohol and my tolerance, my binge eating and drinking was over a pound in calories in one sitting or bar.

• nikkishai
    nikkishai Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem with jelly beans and cheez-its, so you're not alone. This is what has been working for me... Allow yourself to eat a moderate amount each day if you want to. Forcing your brain to completely resist foods you like won't really get you anywhere. If you love Twizzlers, then allow yourself a serving or two (150-300 calories). Controlling your cravings takes time, but you really don't have to eliminate the foods you like to get the body you want. Instead, try training yourself to only consume 1 or 2 servings instead of the whole bag.

Another trick that worked for me is to tell myself I can endulge "later" ... that way I know I will get to enjoy the food I like eventually, but telling myself "no" made me crave the not-so-good food even more.

Hope this helps!
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    I would easily "snack" on 1000 - 1500 calories in the evening. A bag of Doritos or some type of salty snack or a bag of gummi bears... easily over 1000 calories.

Even now, with logging I sometimes eat snacks upwards of 500 calories. 3 servings of Combos is 420 calories and I could easily eat the whole bag (6 servings). 2 homemade lemon squares clocks in around 600 calories...

So now, I rarely eat with abandon in the evenings like I used to. I weigh and log it before putting it in my mouth.