Potato salad and macaroni salad is EVIL! I never knew`

Options
SolidGoaled
SolidGoaled Posts: 504 Member
The potato and mac salad we bought for our weekend parties is 280 cals per 1/2 cup and 480 cals per 3/4 cup respectively - YIKES. I will be paying for that on the scale this week. :/ I should have looked before I lept. :(

Replies

• vmccullouch
    vmccullouch Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Try using 3 parts plain greek yogurt to 1 part mayo for this. It made it way lower in calories and my husband couldn't taste the difference!
  • TS65
    TS65 Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    No worries! You'd have to eat 12.5 CUPS of potato salad or 7.29 cups of macaroni salad (on top of your daily BMR) to gain a lb. You weren't THAT hungry were you?

If anything you may retain a little water from sodium (or carb bloat), but it'll go away in a day or 2. Just stay diligent!

Oh... and I hear ya... YIKES! :laugh:
  • SarahWrittenThin
    SarahWrittenThin Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    The read downfall of potato salad is the SODIUM!!! ACK!
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    If you make it yourself, you can add a ton of veggies to it to cut back on the calories.. i.e. celery, bell peppers, mushrooms, cauliflower, zuchinni, etc. Also, if you make it yourself you can do what the previous poster mentioned in terms of mixing yogurt with the mayo.
    With macaroni salad, you can make it with whole wheat paste. Potato salad- the vinegar ones appear to be a bit healthier than the mayo based ones.
  • sarahlyzzibeth
    Options
    I hate those "healthy" foods that end up biting you in the butt! For example, I went to Olive Garden and filled up on salad (with no shredded cheese on top) and then only ate a third of my entree, thinking I was doing myself a favor, but did you know that in 1/2 cup of that salad, there is 350 calories and like 20 grams of fat?!! (i'm sure it's from the oil-based dressing, but STILL!) If I had skipped the salad altogether and eaten my entire entree I would have been better off!