Binging after being very disciplined

Options
plaffo786
plaffo786 Posts: 71 Member
Have other ppl found that after a few days of clean eating and lots of running you have a complete crave day where nothing meets your wants!

Replies

• 6502programmer
    6502programmer Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Sure! Who doesn't? The victories come in managing it, and finding ways to splurge without blowing out. I manage that through portion control of the bad and offsetting the splurge with good choices throughout the rest of the day.
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Clean eating has been mentioned... storm incoming.

OP, clean eating is such an arbitrary term - ditch it. It's useless. It's beyond useless, it's a bad idea. It's funny, because all the 'clean eaters' try and cut out everything they used to eat, so they binge.

Does that sound familiar? Eat what you want in moderation, eat foods high in micronutrients.

Rinse and repeat.

/thread
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    If you're binging, perhaps clean eating is not the right approach for you.

Weight loss is all about calories in < calories out. There are many approaches to creating that deficit. Perhaps you should look into flexible dieting/eating.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    There may be a relationship between the "very disciplined" diet and the binge
  • zilannoj
    zilannoj Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    From experience, I tend to binge when I'm doing too much at once and/or my calories are far below what I should be eating. If I completely took out all the things I used to enjoy eating, I would binge. Unfortunately, it took me years to realize it's not the food causing the weight gain, it's how much of it I eat.
  • kkorzeniowska
    kkorzeniowska Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Omg yes. I can be strict whole week. Monday till Saturday, I work hard at the gym, stick to the calories, always make sure I'm a bit lower with carbs and then Sunday comes and I think....only little piece of chocolate...and one piece leads to another and I can't stop....I keep grabbing other stuff from the fridge and once I'll feel full I start to regret....what have I done? Whole week of hard work went for nothing? I'm so frustrated with myslef sometimes,I go back to the gym and work out even harder,grabbing heavier dumbells... I'm going to Mexico in 4 weeks and want to try go through that time without binging, chest meals,or cheat days. I'm pretty toned and happy from my body but would fancy to stick to my 2000 calories every day...not from Monday till Satyrday lol how are you dealing with it?
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Nope, I don't crave because I don't eliminate.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Clean eating has been mentioned... storm incoming.

OP, clean eating is such an arbitrary term - ditch it. It's useless. It's beyond useless, it's a bad idea. It's funny, because all the 'clean eaters' try and cut out everything they used to eat, so they binge.

Does that sound familiar? Eat what you want in moderation, eat foods high in micronutrients.

Rinse and repeat.

/thread

Seconded.

Overly restrictive diets often lead to giving up, binging, etc. You don't need to give up foods you like to lose weight. There's no reason to avoid anything processed, either. You simply need to eat less calories.

If your eventual goal is to eat "clean" (whatever that means to you) then work your way there little by little. Give up soda today, give up chips next month and so on or simply eat less of those things until you no longer want them.
  • Faithful_Chosen
    Faithful_Chosen Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Denying yourself you are physically and/or psychologically used to will make you crave them. That is why many people here encourage others to fit whatever they want to eat into their calorie deficite and eat them in moderation. That tends to curb the worst of the cravings.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »

I feel like if we tried, we could make this a really catchy song.
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options

"Nope, I don't crave because I don't eliminate. You disintegrate your inner state without pizza on dat plate ,yo"
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    There may be a relationship between the "very disciplined" diet and the binge

This.

I never binged until I was a strict clean eater. I made it a long time before the bingeing started. I didn't even eat super low calorie-but I was so deprived of the foods I wanted that I would binge on whole jars of peanut butter or anything I deemed "healthy".

The bingeing continued long past the clean eating phase. I have it under control now, but highly recommend you stop now!!!!. Eat to your goals and learn how to incorporate treats regularly. Get it under control
  • skinnygirly23
    skinnygirly23 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I love, love the song idea... too cute :)

Yes, it is all about calories in verses calories out and creating a deficit leads to weight loss. One thing (trick) I use is that if I eat something calorie dense (junk food) I will eat a really light dinner. Maybe just a piece of lean meat and veggies. I also have a habit of eating small portions which you may find is the key to being able to enjoy different foods without complete deprivation and less likely to binge.

I know it is hard to eat this food in small portions, if you only eat it once a week you wanna eat not some of that cake you want all of it lol. I cut corners to be able to enjoy a little junk food, hope this helps :)
  • ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options

"Nope, I don't crave because I don't eliminate. You disintegrate your inner state without pizza on dat plate ,yo"

You forgot to drop the mic!

That's great though. Now do one for "weight loss isn't linear" and "weigh all your food."
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    Be sure you're eating enough calories (and fat) during your clean eating stretches and that you're eating whole foods that you really love -- not food you tolerate because you think it's good for you. Those two things (enough calories and nutritious foods you love) are really important for compliance sticking to any diet, IME.

Eating indulgent foods or foods you just don't want to eat everyday should always be a choice; never something you do because you can't help yourself. Best wishes finding a satisfying diet that allows that.
  • plaffo786
    Options
    Great advice everyone thanks! Even the starting of a song lol
    Stuck to a 1200 cal limit with 500 cal worked off in running, really trying to get my weight down
    I'm using the macros and nutritional guide that is set here..... Should I change it?
    I don't eat over 1200 with the exercise is this a bad idea?
    Sorry if I seem a bit stupid new to this
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Mr. Brain doesn't like losing weight. He starts screaming because he thinks youre starving him to death. Give Mr. Brain some fat and a little treat every now and then, and he might not scream as much.
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    plaffo786 wrote: »
    Great advice everyone thanks! Even the starting of a song lol
    Stuck to a 1200 cal limit with 500 cal worked off in running, really trying to get my weight down
    I'm using the macros and nutritional guide that is set here..... Should I change it?
    I don't eat over 1200 with the exercise is this a bad idea?
    Sorry if I seem a bit stupid new to this

Most people recommend eating back half of your exercise calories. Not stupid questions-very common
  • plaffo786
    Options
    Thanks slaite1
  • jensquish1
    jensquish1 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    I have a binge eating issue as well. It just started as my calorie/food goals became aggressive. I had a bad night last night again after a few great days. I'm tired of doing this to myself every few days as it makes me feel like crap emotionally and physically. I'm tired. I'm vowing that last night was my last dang binge night. I'm going to clean it up today and then start adding a treat in everyday that still meet my calorie goals. I'm also going to say that adding that treat will be in the day time vs. A evening snack. Evenings are awful triggers for me.