Does drinking water make you feel hungry or full?

Options
I've been reading a lot of advice on here to drink a lot of water when you feel hungry to make the feeling go away, so I started wondering if there is anyone like me: if I drink water, my appetite spikes. It's like my stomach thinks: 'Ha! you ain't fooling me! Now fill me with food!'. So, drinking water: does it make you feel hungry or full? Or nothing at all?

Replies

• Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    It doesn't make me feel full, personally.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    Depends
  • febmama3
    febmama3 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    It's not meant to make you full, just lessen the amount of food you intake. If you have a stomach half full of water, your not gonna eat as much food... it's good to drink constantly however to assist with absorbing nutrients from food when your hydrated. When you drink sugar filled beverages it takes longer for it to process as your body doesn't receive all the nutrients from your food as fast.
  • Bunny81s
    Bunny81s Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thought I was alone on this one! Makes me hungrier!
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    No, my body works the way most bodies do. When it wants food, I feel hunger. When it needs liquid, I feel thirst.

Water won't stop the hunger.
  • IzzyBooNZ1
    IzzyBooNZ1 Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    No, my body works the way most bodies do. When it wants food, I feel hunger. When it needs liquid, I feel thirst.

yep same
  • Hemlon
    Hemlon Posts: 37 Member
    Options

Ditto!
  • Owlie45
    Owlie45 Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    I find it takes the edge off. Enough that I'm not constantly think food food food.
  • CompM
    CompM Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    When I drink water before meals, less food is needed to make me satisfied. Hydrating well also keeps me from mistaking thirst for hunger.
  • LMS120yesIcan
    LMS120yesIcan Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Full
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options

was just about to write the same.
  • Tigg_er
    Tigg_er Posts: 22,001 Member
    Options
    Makes me feel a little fuller,,at least for a minute or two.
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    CompM wrote: »
    When I drink water before meals, less food is needed to make me satisfied. Hydrating well also keeps me from mistaking thirst for hunger.

This is the idea behind drinking water to help with hunger. It's not that water keeps you full-it's that sometimes we are thirsty but FEEL hungry. If you are actually hungry-I can see how drinking something would make it worse.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,107 Member
    Options
    It makes no difference to me. I don't feel any hungrier, but I sure don't feel full.
  • SafioraLinnea
    SafioraLinnea Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    I drink water when I'm hungry because sometimes I am actually thirsty. I would rather hydrate to test if I was thirsty. If I'm actually hungry, drinking water doesn't fix it. I don't think drinking water makes me hungry.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,107 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    It makes no difference to me. I don't feel any hungrier, but I sure don't feel full.

Ginger tea or rooibos tea, on the other hand, will take the edge off for half an hour or so.

(No sugar, no honey, no milk ... just tea)

• AuroraGeorge8393
    AuroraGeorge8393 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Water by itself only leaves me feeling satiated if I drink very large amounts (over 16 oz). Drinking water with a meal, on the other hand, does leave me feeling fuller than eating without water. Especially if it's a meal that is high in fiber.
  • Josalinn
    Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    It cuts the acid in my stomach so it doesn't hurt as much, but unless I drink a half a gallon I don't really feel full and even then i just feel sloshy.
  • kittywrangler
    kittywrangler Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    If I'm hungry I'll just eat a small snack..(cheese stick, apple, boiled egg) and drink a few cups of water. Usually within 20 minutes I'm good. I don't think water would cut it alone, and my snack is usually something that won't curb the hunger.. blend the two and whoopah! I'm good to go.