Which exercise is better for shrinking the thighs and butt

Options
i have been weightlifting doing the SL 5x5 plan. In between my lifting days I try to get in some cardio, since I swim a lot I got my arms covered but what about my problem area which is my thighs and butt. Is it better to walk up hill at an incline of 10% or run on a treadmill for a duration of 30-60min. I assume they both target these areas in one way or another but is either one better than the other? My goal is to build muscle lifting weights and tone around them with the cardio. Thanks

Replies

• strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    When you say "tone" do you mean smaller & more muscle definition? If so, the only thing that will shrink thighs/butt is an overall caloric deficit.
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    Exercising the will to put down the fork. If you want to lose weight from anywhere-gotta be at a deficit.
  • soldiergrl_101
    soldiergrl_101 Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    I'm already at a calorie deficit have been for a while. When I say tone I mean shrink thighs and see muscle.
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    Just keep at it. Cardio will help to increase your deficit or let you eat more. Lift and lose weight-you'll get there.

As far as the cardio choices-You can go with whatever you prefer. I like running hills-always feel it in the booty and gives an intense workout
  • MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    Options
    The Fork Down lift. ;)

Lifting increases muscle strength and size, a deficit shrinks fat over it so you can see how pretty it is!
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    The obligatory "can't spot reduce fat" comment.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »
    The obligatory "can't spot reduce fat" comment.

Obligatory THIS.
  • madkcole
    madkcole Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    The Fork Down lift. ;)

Lifting increases muscle strength and size, a deficit shrinks fat over it so you can see how pretty it is!

Thanks for putting it this way. I keep seeing people say you can't spot reduce and could not figure out what the heck that meant. I finally get it now. Thank you!
  • eileensofianmushinfine
    eileensofianmushinfine Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    to tone legs -- squats, lunges, dead lifts, leg press
  • FitnessTrainer69
    FitnessTrainer69 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    @soldiergrl_101 , continue with your lifting program. Do a HITT program for the treadmill instead of long distance running (otherwise your going to lose your hard earned work). To make your thighs and butt more visible you need to slowly keep dropping calories and give it ample amount of time. However, the fat loss will be over your entire body and not certain areas.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    You can't pick where and when your body drops fat. Just be patient. And really, you might always have some small amount of fat stores on your legs. We need a bit of fat to be healthy. A lot of us keep that bit on our legs.