HRM Watch and Pedometer together?

Options
I really want one of the new Polar HRM watches that also tracks your steps. I been wanting both devices but I figured it's best to have them in one! Do you all recommend the polar or a diff brand? Should I get 2 seperate devices? I don't want the watch to track my arm movements as steps like my fitbit did.

Replies

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Any wrist worn pedometer will pick up motions of your hands as steps. Typically they won't pick up enough hand movements as steps to have any effect on the calorie burn. If you want to avoid that then you need to look into clip on pedometers and just get a chest strap HRM separately.
  • ScubaSteve1962
    ScubaSteve1962 Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    How often are you moving your arms? I wear a pedometer and a activity monitor, right now they are only 29 step difference. Now sometimes there is a greater difference. Mine doesn't pick up every motion of my hand as steps I actually have to be doing something that requires a strong motion for it to register it.
  • SalsaJason
    SalsaJason Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Have a look at the garmin forerunner 15, good price and does everything you need and more. Seems immune to the arm movement issue, mine has been great.
  • simply_bubbz
    simply_bubbz Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    How often are you moving your arms? I wear a pedometer and a activity monitor, right now they are only 29 step difference. Now sometimes there is a greater difference. Mine doesn't pick up every motion of my hand as steps I actually have to be doing something that requires a strong motion for it to register it.

What does an activity tracker do?
  • simply_bubbz
    Options
    SalsaJason wrote: »
    Have a look at the garmin forerunner 15, good price and does everything you need and more. Seems immune to the arm movement issue, mine has been great.

Looking it up now!
  • simply_bubbz
    Options
    Any wrist worn pedometer will pick up motions of your hands as steps. Typically they won't pick up enough hand movements as steps to have any effect on the calorie burn. If you want to avoid that then you need to look into clip on pedometers and just get a chest strap HRM separately.

So do the watch HRMs have chest straps you wear?
  • ScubaSteve1962
    ScubaSteve1962 Posts: 609 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    it's

What does an activity tracker do?

the new polar Loop A300, M400 and V800 are activity monitors, they track your steps and heart rate when used with a chest strap sensor. you don't get all day heart rate unless you wear the sensor.

The M400 and V800 have sports profiles so you can change it to fit the activity that you're doing.

Now if you just want to track your heart rate during work out session there's also the option of just getting the H7 sensor, and a cheap pedometer to track your steps. The H7 sensor would be used with an app on your phone to track your heart rate.

http://www.heartratemonitorsusa.com/pedometers.html

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options

So do the watch HRMs have chest straps you wear?

Depends on the HRM. Some are a chest strap that transmits to a watch and some are watches with a sensor on the inside of the band. Some of the ones without q chest strap will only check your HR when you push a button and they will assume your HR stays the same until you press the button again. Some people also have trouble getting the wrist sensors to pick up their HR correctly.
  • KatFord81
    KatFord81 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Have a Samsung gear 2 neo I got as a gift and it seems to work well. Does my heart rate and steps, doesn't seem.to log arm.movements. I can walk with my hands in my pockets and it knows the steps. I mean occasionally it might, but I've waived it and got no change in steps. I also like I can track activity, take a phone call, read a text, control my tv, etc., so it seems to do a lot. You can even get a Garmin app for it. For all the call stuff and gps you need your phone but that's on an older model. There's supposed to be a new one that has its own sim card and can do it all without your phone. The HRM and pedometer are independent of a phone.