low carb thoughts?

Options

Replies

• professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    Low to moderate carb works great for me. Add exercise and watch it work.

As with any nutrition strategy you need to eat the amount of food that will let you burn off fat. You can't over eat on any plan.

I like the options available now in lower carb foods. It is pretty expansive.

It is all about a plan you can enjoy and follow, that fits your nutritional needs.

• cajuntank
    cajuntank Posts: 924 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    umayster wrote: »
    Hornsby wrote: »
    thanks for the thoughts , i think i will try it out for a while to see how i feel.

i know carbs are bad anyway and it makes so much sence to me.

carbs are used for quick energy and our body uses it firs. so if your body has less carbs it will get energy from fat instead.

at least thats what ive been told.
    cajuntank wrote: »
    People people people. A high fat diet is not an entitlement, but a tool. CICO is a form the Law of Conservation of Energy takes (see what I did there?). Fat takes more energy to digest, therefore it takes more time, and furthermore you get hungry less.

Carbs ARE NOT the preferred energy source of the body. If that were the case, it wouldn't push those out first. If you allow it to, the body runs very well on fats and moderate proteins.

As far as fruits and veggies go...my bowels hate them. They cause me gas something fierce, so I consume them sparingly. Spinach is awesome, though. And pineapples, when they are on sale.

I am 10 months high fat dieting (sometimes keto), I eat a TON of saturated fats, I am 35 lbs overweight, and I have an almost perfect lipid panel. That's what I think.

Uh..No. http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/is-fat-preferred-fuel-source-body-qa.html/
    "So what happens when you provide the body with both carbs and fats in the diet? Which fuel source is preferred? Well the answer is clear: carbs."

You are quoting a body recomposition site for nutritional science. There are many reasons why this isnt the best idea. You would be most useful if you shared information from someone educated in nutrition at a higher level.

Lyle McDonald is pretty damn credible... degrees or not.

OP has a direct relation with Type 2. OP has a strong reason to go low carb as it decreases risk of type 2. Lyle would be a fine resource if she asked how to fix her butt.

My reply was directly to the statement of the previous poster stating that "Carbs ARE NOT the preferred energy source of the body". I even put it in BOLD of what I was referring to. This was to correct the incorrect information he gave. Nothing else was given, except my backing up of my correction by someone, who in the area of nutrition, is very well studied, respected, and referenced by the leading researchers in this field had you investigated further.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    You are not going to find the answers you seek here. Next time you have a physical, ask the doctor about it. If it's confusing, ask for a referral to a dietitian.

You can lose weight on any diet, but the right diet for you has to be based on your condition(s), history, etc. There is no One Size Fits All.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't say I eat loads of carbs. But going low carb would require me to give up most of the foods I love and eat every day .
    Even pretty much giving up fruit and veggies would be difficult enough for me and my colon, let alone all the other "carby" foods.
    I just couldn't handle the restrictions or the rules...
  • triciab79
    triciab79 Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    You have a family history of diabetes so cutting your carbs makes sense. Rather than going the ketosis route though you would do better to count your calories and make sure that you prioritize protein fiber and fat before carb when you are looking for something to eat. Very few people can do real super low carb diets forever, so it is better to make sensible changes that you can form into a lifestyle after you lose weight.
  • mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    I paid absolutely zero attention to the amount of carbs I ate, just counted calories and lost 123 pounds that way. I do love carbs, though, and if I were to restrict them too much, it would just end in failure and giving up for me. I know, I tried it more than once.
  • ashleylindahl7
    ashleylindahl7 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    A good friend of mine has been doing Keto/LCHF for most a year and it's working well for her. I just started three weeks ago and I've lost almost 12 lbs! It's not for everyone, but I love it and I feel great!
  • umayster
    umayster Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    thanks for the thoughts , i think i will try it out for a while to see how i feel.

carbs are used for quick energy and our body uses it firs. so if your body has less carbs it will get energy from fat instead.

People people people. A high fat diet is not an entitlement, but a tool. CICO is a form the Law of Conservation of Energy takes (see what I did there?). Fat takes more energy to digest, therefore it takes more time, and furthermore you get hungry less.

Carbs ARE NOT the preferred energy source of the body. If that were the case, it wouldn't push those out first. If you allow it to, the body runs very well on fats and moderate proteins.

As far as fruits and veggies go...my bowels hate them. They cause me gas something fierce, so I consume them sparingly. Spinach is awesome, though. And pineapples, when they are on sale.

I am 10 months high fat dieting (sometimes keto), I eat a TON of saturated fats, I am 35 lbs overweight, and I have an almost perfect lipid panel. That's what I think.

Uh..No. http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/is-fat-preferred-fuel-source-body-qa.html/
    "So what happens when you provide the body with both carbs and fats in the diet? Which fuel source is preferred? Well the answer is clear: carbs."

You are quoting a body recomposition site for nutritional science. There are many reasons why this isnt the best idea. You would be most useful if you shared information from someone educated in nutrition at a higher level.

OP has a direct relation with Type 2. OP has a strong reason to go low carb as it decreases risk of type 2. Lyle would be a fine resource if she asked how to fix her butt.

My reply was directly to the statement of the previous poster stating that "Carbs ARE NOT the preferred energy source of the body". I even put it in BOLD of what I was referring to. This was to correct the incorrect information he gave. Nothing else was given, except my backing up of my correction by someone, who in the area of nutrition, is very well studied, respected, and referenced by the leading researchers in this field had you investigated further.

Yes, I understand, the whole "carbs are preferred" refrain is based on carbs being used first. "Preferred" is a stretch and sounds a bit like internet pseudo-nutri-guru-ish rather than any kind of serious science. It isn't good to quote muscle. guys for mainstream nutritional info - especially when folks are trying to improve nutritional composition for health rather than muscles.

Muscles are great, but the nutrition is not the same as lifelong health for those with health concerns.
  • cajuntank
    cajuntank Posts: 924 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

Yes, I understand, the whole "carbs are preferred" refrain is based on carbs being used first. "Preferred" is a stretch and sounds a bit like internet pseudo-nutri-guru-ish rather than any kind of serious science. It isn't good to quote muscle. guys for mainstream nutritional info - especially when folks are trying to improve nutritional composition for health rather than muscles.

Muscles are great, but the nutrition is not the same as lifelong health for those with health concerns.

If you have evidence to dispute the statement as anything other than stated, I would be more than interested in reading, assuming the information you provide back is from a credible source.

Also, if you had done your research, you will see Lyle is by no means a "muscle guy" as you infer. You have evidently not researched for yourself into who Lyle is (fyi, he literally wrote the book on the Ketogenic diet protocol). I can't help you there.
    Again, my replies were only to correct some miss-information given as to not perpetuate something that was not correct based on all of the evidence gathered.

Lastly, I do not understand how you can take a word like "preferred" and turn it into a pseudo-science argument. So I am assuming you are just trolling and we can end it there unless you actually have something evidence based that would actually benefit the OP's initial question. So beyond that, this particular conversation is no longer helping with the OP's question.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options

YOU do realize that that is Lyle McDonald, right? Sorry but he's definitely a credible source.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    You are not going to find the answers you seek here. Next time you have a physical, ask the doctor about it. If it's confusing, ask for a referral to a dietitian.

You can lose weight on any diet, but the right diet for you has to be based on your condition(s), history, etc. There is no One Size Fits All.

doctors are not versed in nutrition...so I would go with a NO on this one.
  • ndj1979
    Options

*head desk*

why is your fall back to bash people that strength train?

So you are saying that because Lyle is a body builder that his thoughts on nutrition can automatically be tossed in the can? That is absolutely ridiculous, and you know it.
  • ThatMouse
    ThatMouse Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I tend to eat fairly low-carb to begin with and did quite well with a ketogenic diet before. Recently, I've made the switch back to keto to see how it'll help with energy levels at my office job and with my ridiculous training/every-hobby-I-do-is-physical schedule.

I like it for the satiety, too, though I struggle a little with that. I failed on keto the first time because I got full on 1,000~cal or so and wouldn't push myself to eat more to stick within a healthy minimum range - hair started thinning out, I lost libido and lost a bit of energy. My mood was great, though, so I stuck at a lower caloric intake than I should have for longer than I ought have.

This time 'round, though, I'm trying to squeeze in the more caloric things and make sure I get 1600cal at least during the day. Fibre is a bit of an issue as well, but chia seeds and broccoli will help, I think.

I don't plan to eat keto 100% of the time, though - I plan to take 1 week of balanced diet (still at 1600cal intake) for every 8-16 weeks of keto, depending on how I feel at the time. I also plan to experiment with TKD (targeted intake of carbs before an intense workout, aiming to use up that energy and drop yourself back into keto after) around my karate practice or drumming if I feel the need for more energy during tests or performances.

I really love reddit's /r/keto - their sidebar and community are fantastic for linking to many studies on the ketogenic (and other Low Carb High Fat) diet and its effects and history. I strongly recommend doing your own research, even if you do find a dietitian who specializes in low-carb. It's nice to have your own thoughts and your own theories - not only do you get more involved in the process, but you become more educated and able to detect if someone's stringing you along with false information.

On this note, @ndj1979 is absolutely right - doctors are not trained in nutrition. I'm not sure about where you live, OP, but in Canada our doctors get a cursory look at nutrition in school and nothing else - the rest they either don't need to learn or need to do their own research to learn up on it.

Also note, nutritionists are also not experts, at least not in Canada (perhaps also not in the States). Dietitians, however, are and they're the ones who are experts on nutrition. Anyone can call themselves a nutritionist, but dietitians go through an extremely rigorous and selective process to even get the chance at being certified.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options

Lyle is a pretty good source on anything that goes in your mouth, and you if don't recognize that, you need to watch what comes out of yours.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    im looking for someone who is versed on nutrition , and what their thoughts on low carb diets.

i need to improve my diet, and my father who is also mind you type 2 diabetic has lost like over 20 pounds in like 2-3 months from changing his diet

idk if its a long term thing but wondering if its successful.

most people who eat anything remotely resembling the SAD could stand to moderate their carbohydrate intake as well as make better nutritional choices as to the carbs they are eating...that said, low carb is not really necessary. low carb is very beneficial for certain metabolic medical conditions, but outside of that I don't know why anyone would want to low carb...I personally love eating fruits and veggies and legumes and oats and whatnot...
  • allykonkol
    allykonkol Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    If your goal is specifically to lose weight in the form of fat, you probably should lower your carb intake, but taking a low carb diet, which has only 20% of your calories coming from carbs as defined by experts, isn't necessary. Setting your carbs to 30% on here will help you eat fewer carbs without feeling restricted. Your body burns carbs first, followed by the glycogen stores in the body, and then finally fat. Naturally, if you count your calories and reduce your carb intake you can lose weight and have it be mostly fat loss rather than a combo of both muscle and fat loss.
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    It is hard to get the details of how the various diet strategies work optimally on MFP. Too many want to say only my way

One way is eating lower carb and doing moderate to intense cardio to burn out your glucose and then the body, mitochondria, switches to a higher mix of fat for fuel.

It is a well documented training program. Google mitochondria endurance training

I have lost somewhere around 145 lbs of fat and added back 25 lbs of muscle in a year and a half

If you want to know a few details ask me. I'm not into forum bickering over someone's favorite strategy. Many work if you follow them. You just need to find one that suits you and has long term potential for you

And bottom line.... What do you want to look like?

Good luck OP.

But remember, whatever strategy for life you choose, you can't out exercise your fork.

Peace
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    It is hard to get the details of how the various diet strategies work optimally on MFP. Too many want to say only my way

So true. That's why these kinds of topics rage on for multiple pages. It's usually always back and forth with listen to my way, and then various scientific articles are posted confirming either sides viewpoints :confounded:

• ndj1979
    Options

So true. That's why these kinds of topics rage on for multiple pages. It's usually always back and forth with listen to my way, and then various scientific articles are posted confirming either sides viewpoints :confounded:

this comment has what to do with OP's question????
  • SandraHughes2
    SandraHughes2 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Firm believer in low carb and moderate fat for quick and effective weight loss. There are many peer reviewed studies that document its safety and effectiveness. Good luck in your endeavor!