Gained 2 pounds in a day.

Options
So generally I eat 1200 calories and I excercise everyday, burning anywhere from 300-500 calories. I decided yesterday was going to be a little fun day so I had half a bag of chips, little later I had a protein shake and some fruit, my usual breakfast. Before I head to the gym I got a doughnut and then did an hour of Zumba (526 calories) , 30 mins of treadmill (202 calories) and then walked home from the gym (180 calories) I had some chicken kabobs with my brother and for dinner had around 12 chicken dumplings (something I would've eaten anyway as a part of my 1200 calorie diet). Before sleeping I did about 25 mins of dance (180 calories). In total I burned about 1085 calories. So anyway, when I woke up it I had gained 2 pounds. I'm pretty sure I haven't consumed more then 1500 calories. Even though it was supposed to be a fun day I was counting and being careful. How come I am 2 pounds up!! And I burned 1085! How could it go up like that.

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Water retention. It can be caused by higher levels of sodium, by hormones, from muscles repairing themselves after exercise... Your weight can fluctuate by up to 5lbs a day. Truly, if you're going to freak out about that, don't weigh every day. You'll drive yourself batty.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Extra sodium = water retention. It will come off in a day or two. You didn't gain fat. The scale will fluctuate wildly for any number of reasons. As a general rule you should be netting 1200 per day minimum. 1200 is appropriate in some situations but not often. It depends on how much you have to lose, height, age, gender, etc.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    Give it a few days.

I keep finding it odd when people seem to be concerned over weight changes on a daily basis.

Your weights going to fluctuate hourly, weekly, monthly.

Give it time.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    You don't have a set weight

It fluctuates daily due to water weight ...hormones, sodium, exercise etc and amount of food in system

Here this is my stable maintenance over 3 months ...black dots are scale readings ...this is with trying to stay around the middle 160lb point within the green

7nsne0pz6owl.jpg
  • SunnyPacheco
    SunnyPacheco Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    You're burning 1000 calories and only eating 1500? That's not enough. It's definitely not 2 pounds of fat because that would mean you ate 7000 extra calories. It's just water weight.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    You're burning 1000 calories and only eating 1500? That's not enough. It's definitely not 2 pounds of fat because that would mean you ate 7000 extra calories. It's just water weight.

Missed that

What she said

Eat back at least half your exercise calories if you are set at 1200
  • Twinkle_Fitness
    Twinkle_Fitness Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    More than likely it is probably water weight or seeing everything you ate it could be waist.

Give it a few days and it will more than likely go away. Also you need to take into account sodium, hormones, how close it is to you time of the month. Try to relax, you didn't put on all the weight over night it's not going to go away over night you will have slip ups. You are only human :)
  • IammeCA
    IammeCA Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    My weight always goes up after I eat out, even though I am very careful to stay within my calories. Restaurant food is always higher in sodium than what I cook at home and that leads to water retention.

I would guess that both the chips and chicken kabobs you ate had a pretty high sodium content. So relax make sure your getting enough water and in a few days it will be gone.