Diabetic and need accountability partners

Options
keheier
keheier Posts: 18 Member
Hello, Is anyone else diabetic and looking for accountability partners? I'd love to encourage you and vice versa. I love this app; but quit logging in when I get into a poor food choice slump. It would be great to have someone(s) to share this journey with. :)

Replies

• EmilyEffren
    EmilyEffren Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I don't have diabetes but I'm right there with ya when it comes to needing support! Would LOVE to help :)
  • keheier
    Options
    I'm not sure how this works, but, it would be nice to share the challenges and successes with someone. :)
  • keheier
    Options
    How has your journey been going so far? When did you start?
  • chunkmonkey2013
    chunkmonkey2013 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I was just told that I am pre-diabetic.......like one point away from being classified as diabetic. I would love to join in this sharing and struggling and challenging each other! :) This has been a huge wake up call as diabetes runs in my family.........

:smiley:
  • keheier
    Options
    Hi,

The good thing is that, even with type 2 diabetes, it can be turned around. I was diagnosed in the fall and it's been a struggle. It runs in my family too. It would be great to break the cycle.
  • keheier
    Options
    I don't have diabetes but I'm right there with ya when it comes to needing support! Would LOVE to help :)

Great... I'd love to encourage you too.
  • chunkmonkey2013
    Options
    Definitely fortunate that type 2 can be turned around. I had gestational diabetes 3 yrs ago when I was pregnant and after that I was told that I would likely end up type 2. So now is the time I need to make the changes. It's so hard.....trying to figure out what to eat....what not to eat.....
  • keheier
    Options
    I was just told that I am pre-diabetic.......like one point away from being classified as diabetic. I would love to join in this sharing and struggling and challenging each other! :) This has been a huge wake up call as diabetes runs in my family.........

:smiley:
    Hi,

The good thing is that, even with type 2 diabetes, it can be turned around. I was diagnosed in the fall and it's been a struggle. It runs in my family too. It would be great to break the cycle.
  • soozquu
    soozquu Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I don't have diabetes, but my doctor told me it was just a matter of when (not if) i got it, if i didn't do something. So i'm there for you if you want.
  • keheier
    Options
    Definitely fortunate that type 2 can be turned around. I had gestational diabetes 3 yrs ago when I was pregnant and after that I was told that I would likely end up type 2. So now is the time I need to make the changes. It's so hard.....trying to figure out what to eat....what not to eat.....

I had gestational diabetes too (16 years ago). One thing that helped me was going for a consultation with a dietitian. I found out that my insurance will cover it once each year. She gave me some great tools. Now.
    soozquu wrote: »
    I don't have diabetes, but my doctor told me it was just a matter of when (not if) i got it, if i didn't do something. So i'm there for you if you want.
    soozquu wrote: »

Awesome, thank you. I hope I can support you too. In some ways diabetes is the best thing that's ever happened to me. I know that sounds weird; but it's forcing me to make changes.
  • chunkmonkey2013
    Options
    I should look into being set up with a dietician. I did see one when I was pregnant but I can't remember all the suggestions she gave me......

Oh.....and my name is Tammy.....lol :smile:
  • JustLoveYes
    JustLoveYes Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm not diabetic but was recently diagnosed with Insulin Resistance which makes me pre-diabetic. I'm meeting with a nutritionist but it's been hard as doctors have been telling me different things as far as diet and what I should or should not be eating. I would love to support you and could use some help too! :)
  • keheier
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Hi I'm not diabetic but was recently diagnosed with Insulin Resistance which makes me pre-diabetic. I'm meeting with a nutritionist but it's been hard as doctors have been telling me different things as far as diet and what I should or should not be eating. I would love to support you and could use some help too! :)

It's, all a little unsettling isn't it? There is a lot of information out there and some of it is confusing. I've found that not everything works for me. I've also found some things that work well for me. I'd love to know what you've found helpful. My biggest challenge is quick and easy meals after a long day at work. So I've been cooking on the weekends and pulling things out of the freezer the night before.
    I should look into being set up with a dietician. I did see one when I was pregnant but I can't remember all the suggestions she gave me......

Hi Tammy. I'm Kate. Yes, the dietitian might be helpful. Mine gave me some literature that I keep in my purse. It's been very helpful.
  • ncwingnut71
    ncwingnut71 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I was a medicated type 2 diabetic and have gotten to where they have taken me off my medication - always looking for new friends :). Feel free to add me.
  • keheier
    Options
    keheier wrote: »

It's, all a little unsettling isn't it? There is a lot of information out there and some of it is confusing. I've found that not everything works for me. I've also found some things that work well for me. I'd love to know what you've found helpful. My biggest challenge is quick and easy meals after a long day at work. So I've been cooking on the weekends and pulling things put of the freezer the night before.

Hi Tammy. I'm Kate. Yes, the dietitian might be helpful. Mine gave me some literature that I keep in my purse. It's been very helpful.
    I was a medicated type 2 diabetic and have gotten to where they have taken me off my medication - always looking for new friends :). Feel free to add me.

That is so encouraging to hear. Thank you for sharing.
  • Raevynne
    Raevynne Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I'm borderline myself & it's hereditary - both parents & 3 grandparents. I hit 40 this year so this is a wake up call for me. Feel free to add me.
  • Diana_GettingFit
    Diana_GettingFit Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm type two diabetic and last month I was able to get off my medication. I've been on Metformin since August 2008. I just want to say you can reverse your diabetes. It takes hard work and dedication. I've lost nearly 20 lbs since March. I also took up running. I think that combination is what helped me get my A1C down to 5.8.
  • keheier
    Options
    Hi, I'm type two diabetic and last month I was able to get off my medication. I've been on Metformin since August 2008. I just want to say you can reverse your diabetes. It takes hard work and dedication. I've lost nearly 20 lbs since March. I also took up running. I think that combination is what helped me get my A1C down to 5.8.

That's awesome and encouraging. Congratulations.
  • keheier
    Options
    Raevynne wrote: »
    I'm borderline myself & it's hereditary - both parents & 3 grandparents. I hit 40 this year so this is a wake up call for me. Feel free to add me.

Thank you. Sounds familiar... it's hereditary for me too. I'm glad you're being proactive. I was warned but it took becoming diabetic to make me want to change. Thank you for the support.

• shaynepoole
    shaynepoole Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I'm a type 2 diabetic. I was taking insulin and metformin for over 10 years. Now I just watch my diet - I keep to 40-50% of my day from any carbs and I am off of all medication and A1C is usually around 5.3 -- So watching your diet is key and it definitely can be done. Best of wishes to you.