Let's talk salads!

Options

Replies

• JustWant2Run
    JustWant2Run Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I use balsamic vinegar with a touch of maple syrup. Low calories and healthy.
  • oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    My standard dressing is a tiny amount of lemon infused olive oil and then balsamic vinegar. My usual lunch salad is tuna, cherry tomatoes, cucumber, mixed lettuce and about 50g of quinoa. Gets the job done, tasty and filling.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I like vinegar dressings, a little oil with lemon juice, or some of the lower calorie dressings you can get at the supermarket. I have one that's Zesty Italian or something like that and it's 35 calories per serving.

Word of caution about Walden Farms. They don't have zero calories period. They have less than 5 calories per serving, which allows the manufacturer to put 0 calories on the label. But there are calories in the dressing if you eat the entire bottle. Same for anything else with "0 calories" except water. Awhile back there was a thread where someone was extremely upset that they had been using one of those spray butter containers every 2 or 3 days and just dumping it on stuff, because they didn't realize that it's not really zero calories. Also I personally find Walden Farms vile, so you might want to try just one flavor and see how you like it before you purchase a bunch.
  • ternacious
    ternacious Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I also skip dressing but pair my baby greens with some flavorful additions - tomato, red bell peppers, avocado, carrots, and for protein and flavor I add a piece of miso-marinated salmon. nom nom :)
  • jessicapk
    jessicapk Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I like to mush up an avocado with some sour cream (or plain Greek yogurt), vinegar (red wine is good to me, lemon juice is also nice), garlic salt, and pepper. It makes a REALLY tasty dressing. However, the calories are higher because of the avocado, though they are VERY healthy calories and full of fiber, which most dressings don't have at all.
  • futuresize8
    futuresize8 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Add other veggies and some very spicy salsa!! YUM!
  • Elle_Bronwyn15
    Elle_Bronwyn15 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Vinegar based dressings are good. Or just use your favorite in moderation, don't drown your salad in dressing. Add flavor with other veggies or high-protein toppings like egg whites or grilled chicken.
  • ArtsyActive1401
    ArtsyActive1401 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Bolthouse is my go-to dressing. (They are in the cold area of my grocery produce section.) I believe they are all yogurt based, too. Yummy! :)
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I use balsamic vinegar, horseradish mustard, and olive oil mixed. If I use avocado or guac on the salad, I can skip the oil if I need to save calories. Also, juicy mixins help (tomatoes with the seeds, banana peppers if you include the juice, olive, etc.)
  • krdews
    krdews Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I like to keep it simple... Krazy salt and Krazy lime pepper (Krazy is the brand name) similar to Dash brand that is more nationally known. I'll squeeze a little lemon or lime (or both) and drizzle with grapeseed oil.
  • Whitezombiegirl
    Whitezombiegirl Posts: 1,042 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I use plain cider vinegar or balsamic vinegar and cracked black pepper- I don't like oil on salad, it leaves a funny feeling in my mouth. The other thing I love is pickled onions- yum!
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,041 Member
    Options
    Lite dressing or half a tbsp of olive oil with lots of vinegar
  • darcelchoy
    darcelchoy Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    A teaspoon of feta works for me
  • PinkDeerBoy
    PinkDeerBoy Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I looooove poppyseed dressing, but so many of them out there are 100+ calories. :c So I started doing some searching around at the grocery store and tried out Maple Grove Farms of Vermont's poppyseed dressing. It's 45 cals for 2 tablespoons.
    As for extras, I usually don't them to my salad. If I do, my favorites are feta cheese and dried cranberries.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    I love Trader Joe's light champagne vinaigrette - it's so good! I also use light balsamic vinaigrette or a mixture of light sour cream and salsa for my taco salads.
  • kandell
    kandell Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I use a raspberry vinaigrette that's 50 cals for 2 tbsp. It's really tasty!
  • nks798
    nks798 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Walden Farms dressings are disgusting to me personally lol But Bolthouse Farms and Marie's have good yogurt dressings or low cal/low fat dressings. You can also make your own vinaigrette's that are much better and healthier for you!
  • bellaa_x0
    bellaa_x0 Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    lime juice, tbsp. of soy sauce and 1 tsp of honey - yum!
  • ernestmartin3
    ernestmartin3 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    make your own dressing: olive oil, salt, mint and lemon juice YUMMY!!

Got any specific amounts of the ingredients