Insomnia

Options
Hi my friends

I have had an issue with insomnia for quite some time.When I am up alone in the middle of the night I am tempted to eat when I already made my goal for the day. Do any of you have any ideas?
Thanks! I sure would appreciate some help!
Beverly

Replies

• AnnaBellQ14
    AnnaBellQ14 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    rivy1226 wrote: »
    Hi my friends

I have had an issue with insomnia for quite some time.When I am up alone in the middle of the night I am tempted to eat when I already made my goal for the day. Do any of you have any ideas?
    Beverly

I think the bigger issue is your insomnia. Try to get that handled, even if you have to take some medicine temporarily. Go see your doctor.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I listen to audiobooks in the middle of the night when I wake up and my brain starts raking. I set the timer on my phone to shut the book off in 15 minutes. It quiets my mind and focuses my attention and I'm often asleep before the book shuts off.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I was keeping a small tablet that I would download books to. The screen I can reverse so the text is white and the page is black. This would keep me from getting out of bed and reduce the amount of light too. Funny thing is after I started running in the mornings at 4:30 and lost weight the insomnia went away completely. My snoring stopped too. Good luck!
  • Jonnyk23
    Jonnyk23 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Workout before bedtime, I bet a hard workout before bed would put you out like a baby!
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    Don't get out of bed. Do whatever it takes to get back to sleep - meditation, tapping, reading, deep breathing, listening to audio books - whatever. Stay in bed and get yourself back to sleep. That way, the temptation to eat isn't an issue.
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, a lot of not so great advice here. I would recommend seeing a psychologist who offers cognitive-behavioral-therapy for Insomnia. You need to do an assessment to sort out what specifically is driving the insomnia. General guidelines are not to exercise for a few hours before bed, minimize any light from phone, computer before bed (the light can cause your body to restrict melatonin which helps you sleep), I don't know what your sleep looks like but the most effective therapies are do stimulus control where the only thing you do in bed is sleep and you get out of bed if you are not able to sleep and sleep restriction where you limit your time in bed and gradually build up your sleep time once you are getting good quality sleep.
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    When did it start (Before or after dieting)? A symptom of not eating enough calories is insomnia. If your calories are too low you won't sleep well and you should increase your calories slowly until you get restful sleep.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I would definitely see a doctor about the insomnia first to see if there is an underlying physical cause. In the meantime, distraction like an audiobook or journaling can be helpful to take your mind off food. How old are you? I had regular bouts of insomnia when I hit my 40's which is a not uncommon issue with perimenopause. Some herbal "female support" supplements suggested by my GYN took care of it.
  • spatulamom
    spatulamom Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Hi my friends

Beverly

I think the bigger issue is your insomnia. Try to get that handled, even if you have to take some medicine temporarily. Go see your doctor.

Yep. I've dealt with insomnia for years and years, and am only now getting the rest my body needs. You need to consult a medical professional about it to rule out any underlying conditions and to get treatment, if needed.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Jonnyk23 wrote: »
    Workout before bedtime, I bet a hard workout before bed would put you out like a baby!

Has the exact opposite effect on me.
    Hi my friends

Beverly

Chamomile tea is nicely relaxing and might take away some of the temptation to eat.

• jesikalovesyou
    jesikalovesyou Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I have an app on my phone "Relax M." and they have a bunch of different sounds that you can use to help you sleep (like rain, wind, oceans, flute, etc). It's amazing. You can also mix sounds as well.

I fall asleep within a minute of turning the app on and you can set a timer also.
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    I have an app on my phone "Relax M." and they have a bunch of different sounds that you can use to help you sleep (like rain, wind, oceans, flute, etc). It's amazing. You can also mix sounds as well.

I fall asleep within a minute of turning the app on and you can set a timer also.

I love that app! I use it to relax during the day too when I feel anxiety.