Replies

• kweisman1
    kweisman1 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hahaha!!! Not girly! Fuel yourself!!!
  • loxoli
    loxoli Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    That was my peak overall. Trust me, I felt pushed but definitely not on the verge of a heart attack! Lol. So I'm thinking it's probably faulty readings, possibly from my tight top, faulty HRM or maybe because I had a cold last week.. Lots of possibilities. I'll take my HRM manually next time and see how I go. Thanks for all your awesome help guys!
  • loxoli
    loxoli Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    kweisman1 wrote: »
    Hahaha!!! Not girly! Fuel yourself!!!

Lol I read your first post 3 times and I couldn't work it out for the life of me! Yes, will definitely be more careful with my eating.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    When you actually hit your Max HR, you will begin to feel light headed and you'll start to see stars.

You may also end up vomiting.

Also, you'll use your glycogen stores so quickly, within 15 minutes, you'll "hit the wall" and it will be almost impossible to continue working out.

If you haven't experienced these effects, you haven't hit your max HR yet.

Once, when I was out running in a group, I sprinted up a hill and my HR recorded my HR to have topped out at 202 bpm. I knew I could have gotten it higher, maybe to 210, but it would have been a tough feat (and I wasn't trying to maximize my HR. It just happened). I was 24 at the time, so all the calculations were saying my max HR should have been between 180 and 195.

It certainly could have been interference, if you were indoors anywhere, or near any transmission towers, or any mechanical equipment. I sometimes get funky reading on my bicycle. It happens.

Also, it could simply be genetics. Many people have hearts that beat faster than the average. Some people have hearts that beat slower. Also, your level of fitness has a lot to do with this. Your heart is simply another muscle in your body. Train it, and it will be more efficient and will be able to beat faster than someone who sits on the couch all day. I was certainly in excellent cardiovascular shape when I did that run as, prior to it, I was mountain biking on a single speed 9-12 hours a week, for many years. I certainly couldn't repeat that effort again today.

All in all, unless you're actually training for a specific event, I wouldn't worry about it. In terms of general fitness and weight loss, how fast your heart beats means nothing. If you're training for some form of endurance sport or competition, then zone training becomes important. If that's the case, you definitely do not want to be maxing out your heart rate very often.
  • betuel75
    betuel75 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Its probably a faulty reading. 223 would make you feel like your on the verge of a heart attack. You would need to run in an all out full sprint mode for at least a minute or more to get your heart rate that high and you would not be able to continue very long if it truly did get up to 223.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    I forgot to mention: VERY IMPORTANT PERSONAL EXPERIENCE:

If you have an older HRM (this may be true for newer models as well) you MUST ensure they there is a good, wet contact between your body and the electrodes monitoring your heart. For quite a long time, I wasn't ensuring the strap is thoroughly soaked and I constantly got very erratic measurements. It would be fine for a few minutes, then it would spike to 200+ bpm for some time, then it would cut out, then it would work, and so on.

I place my strap under running water and rub the water into the electrodes for a few minutes before I put it on. Once I've got into this habit, I've never had an issue again and my HRM is at least 10 years old now. It works as good as new!
  • G8rRay
    G8rRay Posts: 89 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I've used several different Garmin Forerunner GPS/HRM watches with the premium HRM/strap. After about 6-10 months, they start to indicate heart rates that, for me, are highly improbable, if not impossible; a new HRM/strap solves the problem. I also had that issue with a Suunto, but replacing the battery in the HRM took care of that issue. {I have, from the beginning, rinsed the strap and HRM immediately after each use. I have even applied electrode gel to the strap (on the electrodes against my skin); but, that produced mixed, erratic results.}

For example, my HRmax is about 162 bpm; but, during those times that the HRM misbehaves, it indicates my HR going as high as 240 bpm. I noticed that during a run one time and stopped to actually count the number of heart beats (about 130 bpm)! Several times before running, I counted my heart beats at 54-60 bpm, while the watch indicated 180+ bpm. A replacement was in order. Contact your HRM manufacturer; they may replace the HRM/strap without cost to you (other than your time in contacting them).

On the other hand, I know individuals that seldom rinse their HRM/strap, though they exercise several times per week; and, they just replace the battery in the HRM about 1x per year. They have had no issues with their HRM/strap/watch.