Fitbit is driving me crazy!

I have a personal trainer and when I work out with her twice a week the workouts are brutal and I am sore and sweat a LOT. Two more days a week I do Les Mills Body Pump and one day I do Body Flow. In between I run - working up to two miles. I'm exhausted when I'm done but feel great an hour later. My fitbit subtracts 49 calories from the 1300 I have for the day... instead of adding 300-600 for the calories I've burned! I don't get it!?! Why is it taking calories away from what I can eat when I am working out so hard?

Replies

• Monklady123
    Monklady123 Posts: 512 Member
    I have no answer to your specific question, but I solved my Fitbit frustrations by returning it and buying a Nike Fuelband. Problem solved. :neutral:
  • maxit
    maxit Posts: 880 Member
    You are logging all your non-step activities manually on the FitBit site, & letting all the step and non-step activity information port over from FB to MFP, right? And you have your activity level set at sedentary?
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    starrk123 wrote: »
    I have a personal trainer and when I work out with her twice a week the workouts are brutal and I am sore and sweat a LOT. Two more days a week I do Les Mills Body Pump and one day I do Body Flow. In between I run - working up to two miles. I'm exhausted when I'm done but feel great an hour later. My fitbit subtracts 49 calories from the 1300 I have for the day... instead of adding 300-600 for the calories I've burned! I don't get it!?! Why is it taking calories away from what I can eat when I am working out so hard?

Are you logging the calories anywhere?

Also keep in mind, your Fitbit Adjustment is the difference between your Fitbit Calorie burn and MFP's estimated calorie burn based on your activity level. When I first started using Fitbit, I had my activity level set to Sedentary and it took exercising just to meet MFP's estimated calorie burn. I wasn't active enough during my normal day to day activities for my workouts to actually amount to added calories on MFP.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    My fitbit subtracts 49 calories from the 1300 I have for the day... instead of adding 300-600 for the calories I've burned!

Your Fitbit burn is TDEE (total daily energy expenditure), the calories to maintain your current weight. Your default MFP calorie goal (1,300) is activity level minus deficit. Your adjustment (-49 calories) is the difference between your Fitbit burn and your MFP activity level.

Click on the adjustment in your diary to see the math MFP used to calculate it, but you've burned 49 calories less than your activity level.

You can learn more in the Fitbit Users group: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1290-fitbit-users
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    I have both MFP and Fitbit set to the same calorie goal and don't have negative adjustments enabled. What MFP has as my daily goal includes my deficit, so setting Fitbit to that manually keeps that balanced. I don't do negative adjustments since my MFP goal is what I would need if I don't do anything except be at the computer all day. When I do more, Fitbit adds to that on MFP.

Also, how are you wearing your Fitbit? I ended up having to wear it on my non-dominant hand but set it to dominant so it's less sensitive. But then, I tend to talk with my hands, and that does skew things a little bit!
  • acheben
    acheben Posts: 476 Member
    dubird wrote: »
    I have both MFP and Fitbit set to the same calorie goal and don't have negative adjustments enabled. What MFP has as my daily goal includes my deficit, so setting Fitbit to that manually keeps that balanced. I don't do negative adjustments since my MFP goal is what I would need if I don't do anything except be at the computer all day. When I do more, Fitbit adds to that on MFP.

Also, how are you wearing your Fitbit? I ended up having to wear it on my non-dominant hand but set it to dominant so it's less sensitive. But then, I tend to talk with my hands, and that does skew things a little bit!
    I have MFP set at sedentary because I have an office job and I usually sit at my desk all day. I have found that on days that I am stuck at my desk, I actually have a negative adjustment of around 50cals, which means I am more sedentary than MFP accounted for.
  • dubird
    acheben wrote: »

I have MFP set at sedentary because I have an office job and I usually sit at my desk all day. I have found that on days that I am stuck at my desk, I actually have a negative adjustment of around 50cals, which means I am more sedentary than MFP accounted for.

Which is why I had to manually adjust my calories. I started with what MFP said, and after a few weeks, I discovered I need to dial it down about 100 calories. I suck at the math part, so it's been kinda trial and error for me, but I've finally got a good balance going.
  • editorgrrl
    I don't do negative adjustments since my MFP goal is what I would need if I don't do anything except be at the computer all day. When I do more, Fitbit adds to that on MFP.

Sorry, but you're wrong. With negative calorie adjustments disabled, you never eat at a true deficit on days you burn fewer calories than your MFP activity level.

Set your goal to .5 lb. for every 25 lbs. you're overweight: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/change_goals_guided

Enable negative calorie adjustments: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings
  • dubird
    editorgrrl wrote: »
    I don't do negative adjustments since my MFP goal is what I would need if I don't do anything except be at the computer all day. When I do more, Fitbit adds to that on MFP.

Sorry, but you're wrong. With negative calorie adjustments disabled, you never eat at a true deficit on days you burn fewer calories than your MFP activity level.

Set your goal to .5 lb. for every 25 lbs. you're overweight: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/change_goals_guided

Enable negative calorie adjustments: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings

I don't like the negative adjustments because Fitbit constantly updates and I can't plan for my meals for the day. 95% of the time, there's a positive adjustment from Fitbit. It's sometimes tiny, like 40 extra calories, so on days I don't get that, yeah, I might be a bit over on my calories in, but that's not often anymore. Not since I dropped my calories for the day down a little bit.

I had my calories set for 1/2 lb a week for the first month with my Fitbit and I wasn't losing anything. I've had to go back and forth with MFP and Fitbit to find a calorie goal setting that worked for me. Probably because I suck at math, I don't know. I just know the negative adjustments weren't helping me and made me frustrated when I was trying to see how much I had left for dinner for the day. I can't plan what to have for dinner when it keeps adjusting.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member

I don't like the negative adjustments because Fitbit constantly updates and I can't plan for my meals for the day. 95% of the time, there's a positive adjustment from Fitbit. It's sometimes tiny, like 40 extra calories, so on days I don't get that, yeah, I might be a bit over on my calories in, but that's not often anymore. Not since I dropped my calories for the day down a little bit.

I had my calories set for 1/2 lb a week for the first month with my Fitbit and I wasn't losing anything. I've had to go back and forth with MFP and Fitbit to find a calorie goal setting that worked for me. Probably because I suck at math, I don't know. I just know the negative adjustments weren't helping me and made me frustrated when I was trying to see how much I had left for dinner for the day. I can't plan what to have for dinner when it keeps adjusting.

It changing all the time would drive me nuts. I calculated a 1 month average of my TDEE as determined by fitbit and manually updated my goal. It's been working for me...
  • dubird
    auddii wrote: »

It changing all the time would drive me nuts. I calculated a 1 month average of my TDEE as determined by fitbit and manually updated my goal. It's been working for me...

Well, it wasn't like every 10 minutes, but every morning it would take away, and then add back over the day. So I would look after lunch and oh, I only have about 700 calories for the rest of day! But then look after I get home from work and have about 850 for the day, which is about what it would be without the negative adjustment. So for me, it's just easier to go without the negative adjustment.
  • starrk123
    starrk123 Posts: 3 Member
    Thank you everyone!! I am bad at math too. I do use MFP to calculate the calories in my meals. I've been tracking closely and haven't lost a pound in 2 months. I am very frustrated trying to find that balance.
  • editorgrrl
    I've been tracking closely and haven't lost a pound in 2 months. I am very frustrated trying to find that balance.

Open your diary for personalized advice, but you need to log everything you eat & drink accurately & honestly. Logging is simple, but it ain't easy. Logging works.

Hands down, the best weight-loss advice I ever received was to read the Sexypants post: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1
  • starrk123
    starrk123 Posts: 3 Member
    I changed my setting to sedentary...we'll see! Thanks for the articles too! I will read them!
  • jenniejoy07
    jenniejoy07 Posts: 78 Member
    I find if my active minutes are high in fitbit then I have a lot of exercise calories.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    I find if my active minutes are high in fitbit then I have a lot of exercise calories.

Not trying to be snarky, but isn't this literally how it's designed to work?

If you have a lot of active minutes, then you are getting a lot of exercise. Once you meet the default threshold (for example, the calories given for "Sedentary"), then you are going to "earn" extra calories for the day.