How to break plateus

Options
I'm stuck in the 150's

Replies

• ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    Not enough info but if you aren't losing, and you are sure you are not losing, then you are not in a deficit. It's as simple as that. You are eating more than you think, not burning as many calories as you think, or both. Figure it out.

Weigh your food if you are not. Otherwise you have no clue how many calories you are taking in.
  • Francine_rivas
    Francine_rivas Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    ncboiler89 wrote: »
    Not enough info but if you aren't losing, and you are sure you are not losing, then you are not in a deficit. It's as simple as that. You are eating more than you think, not burning as many calories as you think, or both. Figure it out.

Weigh your food if you are not. Otherwise you have no clue how many calories you are taking in.
    I get 1500 and I run and do yoga. Mostly yoga
  • DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    - Make sure you're eating you goal and not going over (weigh everything you can - don't estimate or use cups).
    - Make sure you're not overestimating your exercise burn and therefore eating too many calories if you eat back your exercise calories (if you're using the MFP database or exercise machines at the gym eat back 50-80% of your exercise calories as they tend to overestimate).
    - Stick with it for long enough - anything less than 6 weeks is not a plateau.
    - Make sure your goal is the right amount for you - if you've lost weight already you'll need to eat less than you started eating. MFP should ask you to recalculate when you weigh in.
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options

If you are not losing and you are sure you aren't then you aren't at a deficit. Do you weigh your food?
  • eyeofnewt555
    eyeofnewt555 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    You may have slowed your metabolism down. How long have you been dieting for? Do you exercise? Strength training?
  • cbrook29
    cbrook29 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Weigh your food. For sure. Sometimes the metabolism has adjusted but essentially you may not be in a deficit. More cardio and weighing food. Remember every pound of muscle increases your metabolism allowing you to burn more calories. You as a female won't become the hulk or even remotely more bulky or masculine by lifting (a common misconception ). Remember not to fixate on just weight. Look at things holistically - fat%, weight , muscle tone, strength, well being, fatigue levels, how do you look in jeans or your new outfit? All need to be examined. You might look better with 5 lbs more of lean mass.
  • moodee_q
    moodee_q Posts: 3 Member
    Options

• moodee_q
    moodee_q Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Drink more water to keep ur belly full . Alter ur calories and excercise routine a bit. Anything that may shock ur body outa its stubborn routine. I encountered a plateau that finally got broken when i stopped stepping on scale for a week. Try that too .
  • Francine_rivas
    Options
    You may have slowed your metabolism down. How long have you been dieting for? Do you exercise? Strength training?

I eat 1200-1500 I'm 5,4 I've been doing this for 5 months I do mostly yoga and run I can't strength train because I have a really bad back due to bad posture. It hurts to lift so I stopped.
  • Francine_rivas
    Options

If you are not losing and you are sure you aren't then you aren't at a deficit. Do you weigh your food?
    I don't weigh but I measure through cups and what not
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

You're eating at maintenance. That's what a plateau is. You need to create a deficit. You're probably eating more than 1500 calories per day and don't realize it due to inaccurate logging.

Watch this to see how you of your logging can be:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjKPIcI51lU
  • DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options

That's probably your problem. Start weighing your food and you'll most likely find you've been eating more than you thought.
  • MayaEmProject
    MayaEmProject Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I agree you really need to be strict to what you eat than ever, weight your food. I think cups are better when you are at maintance. Depeds witch yoga are you doing, but I've tried two hatha- burned only 150cal/h, bikram yoga- burned 380cal/h, how intense are your runs matters too. Maybe heart monitor would help you relized where you at. I was estimating I burn 400cal/h at strenght trainings now thanks to my watch I know it's around 300cal/h only. When I hit hard intensity run it's 320cal/30min and on light intensity 180cal/30min only. And if you need deficyt 500cal only it's easier to track it. I'm still losing and I'm 5.7 116lbs
  • peterjens
    peterjens Posts: 235 Member
    Options
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options

That right there is your problem. Start weighing your intake.