Olive vs Coconut Oil?

Options
47Jacqueline
47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
I've always used olive oil. I bought coconut oil, but so far have only used it on my face. lol I heard you shouldn't use too high heat when cooking with it.

What are the differences?

Replies

• Faithful_Chosen
    Faithful_Chosen Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    There is a myth going about that olive oil, due to its chemical structure, is susceptible to oxidative damage when heated whereas coconut oil more stable. This is untrue, as proven by science. That said, coconut oils have medium chain fatty acids that are healthy and that do not break down when heated, making them a very healthy choice to cook with. They are both healthy choices. It depends on taste, mostly, I have found, as many of the health benefits of both can not be causally proven.
  • 47Jacqueline
    Options
    There is a myth going about that olive oil, due to its chemical structure, is susceptible to oxidative damage when heated whereas coconut oil more stable. ...

I actually read the opposite; that olive oil is more stable than coconut oil at high temperatures.
  • Faithful_Chosen
    Faithful_Chosen Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    There is a myth going about that olive oil, due to its chemical structure, is susceptible to oxidative damage when heated whereas coconut oil more stable. ...

I actually read the opposite; that olive oil is more stable than coconut oil at high temperatures.

As far as I am aware, research shows they are both pretty much equally stable. I have never heard of coconut oil being unstable, actually, but it is the Internet so I should not be surprised :wink:
  • 47Jacqueline
    Options
    Interesting - just curious. I now have enough oil for the rest of my life since the coconut oil cam in a mason jar. :p
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    If you heat olive oil to smoking, it changes structure and is not healthy---this is what the Italians here in Italy say. You can cook with it, but keep the temp lower. If it starts smoking I quickly take the pan off the heat so it cools down. Best. B)
  • Toofussy1
    Toofussy1 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    The main type of saturated fat in coconut oil is lauric acid, which is one of the same fatty acids present in human breast milk. Lauric acid has antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory properties that could be beneficial for your health.
    When it comes to high heat cooking, coconut oil is your best choice.
    Over 90% of the fatty acids in it are saturated, which makes it very resistant to heat.
    This oil is semi-solid at room temperature and it can last for months and years without going rancid.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Olive oil and coconut oil have smoke points that are very close:
    Coconut oil: 350°F
    Olive oil: 320°F
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Interesting - just curious. I now have enough oil for the rest of my life since the coconut oil cam in a mason jar. :p

I shop online and buy Spectrum Organic unrefined Coconut oil by the case. It has an extremely long shelf life.

Neither Olive Oil or Coconut Oil should be used with high heat. Never let them get so hot as to smoke.

My favorite is sweet potato home fries made in unrefined Coconut Oil.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

As far as I am aware, research shows they are both pretty much equally stable.

This is my understanding, and that cooking with olive oil is generally fine (same with coconut oil), except at high heat. (I had a link that I should find again that challenges the fear of olive oil at many regular cooking temps, however.)

The differences are simply taste (and the specific types of fat, but both have their positives there). I use olive oil vs. coconut oil vs. butter based on the particular dish and taste contributions.
  • sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    A lot of people have commented wrong info so far...

TO MAKE THIS SIMPLE:

Unrefined, virgin or extra virgin types will have lower smoke points.

Refined, non-virgin types will have higher smoke points.

Read the label... there are many types of olive and coconut oil, and each type will have a different smoke point.

"Unrefined" oils are generally deemed healthier and they have better flavor, but the trade off is a low smoke point.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I've always used olive oil. I bought coconut oil, but so far have only used it on my face. lol I heard you shouldn't use too high heat when cooking with it.

google smoke points.

neither olive oil nor coconut oil are good for high heat...i.e. stir fry or deep fry...they are perfectly fine for sautes. I use both depending on what I'm cooking and the flavors I'm looking for...but I definitely use more olive oil than coconut oil. I use avocado oil for high heat applications.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

Don't use coconut on your face. It has a high comedogenic rating (pore clogging). Coconut is a 4 (out of 5) and olive is a 2. If you want a good oil for your face, get hempseed or argan, both have a comedogenic rating of 0

On the other hand, coconut oil is the best oil for popping popcorn!

• bevmcarthur
    bevmcarthur Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    acqueline I love my coconut oil. I make popcorn with it ,i put it on rice ,toast ,bake and cook with it. I make my own lotions, sunscreen, toothpaste, i oil pull with it you name it i use it for everything. I would be lost with out my coconut oil .It craves my sweet tooth i will take a spoon full and just eat it slowly . LOVE LOVE LOVE it. Just beside to use ORGANIC .
  • Vanyahiril
    Vanyahiril Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »

Don't use coconut on your face. It has a high comedogenic rating (pore clogging). Coconut is a 4 (out of 5) and olive is a 2. If you want a good oil for your face, get hempseed or argan, both have a comedogenic rating of 0

I love coconut oil as a facial moisturizer, & have never had an issue with it clogging pores. It's also supposed to have some antibacterial (I think?) properties, to help with break outs.

• bevmcarthur
    bevmcarthur Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Vanyahiril wrote: »

I love coconut oil as a facial moisturizer, & have never had an issue with it clogging pores. It's also supposed to have some antibacterial (I think?) properties, to help with break outs.

I use coconut oil on my face every night and have for the past few years and i have never had better looking skin. ITS so good for your skin coconut oil is naturally antibacterial, antifungal, and moisturizing
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Vanyahiril wrote: »

I use coconut oil on my face every night and have for the past few years and i have never had better looking skin. ITS so good for your skin coconut oil is naturally antibacterial, antifungal, and moisturizing

Unfortunately I break out every time I use it. I can't use it on my hair either because I get clogged follicles which results in little sore bumps all over my scalp. I know the comedogenic ratings are good to follow as a general rule, but not everyone reacts the same way. I use argan oil on my face with a tiny bit of rosehip seed oil around my eyes at night. No crows feet yet!

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Both are safe to cook with. The differences are taste and texture. Olive oil is mostly unsaturated so remians liquid except when very cold. Coconut oil has a higher amount of saturated fat so is solid.
  • Lizzles4Shizzles
    Lizzles4Shizzles Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I love using coconut oil on my hair - amazing results - and also as a skin moisturizer for my body, not face, but I don't have much experience cooking with it. I had heard that coconut oil is better for higher heat cooking than olive oil, but looks like some commenters above have clarified that point already.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    The big difference between Coconut oil and Olive oil is that Coconut oil is largely saturated fat, and olive oil is unsaturated.

http://www.diffen.com/difference/Saturated_Fats_vs_Unsaturated_Fats

Saturated fat is no longer viewed as being that bad for you. The fats to avoid are the Trans-fats. They've been slowly weeded out of product lines so trans-fats are rather hard to find these days.