How do you deal with late night cravings

Options
The other night I just could not curb my late night cravings for ice cream. I caved and went and got some. I don't want to make this mistake again. What are things that I can do to not give in to such a high calorie "snack".

Replies

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Eat fruit.
  • wesj43
    wesj43 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I usually keep a low carb, no sugar added ice cream around for just such an occasion. I keep it in the freezer out in the garage so that I have to walk a ways to get it. I find a 1/4 cup serving will satisfy the craving.

Whenever possible, I will have a piece of fruit, or if I don't have any, I'll have some jerky or pork rinds.
  • jlmcvey
    jlmcvey Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I always have sugar free cool whip in the freezer. That def helps my ice cream craving. Sometimes I add sugar free choc syrup. Fruit just doesn't take the craving away
  • rawhidenadz
    rawhidenadz Posts: 254 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I just fit it into my daily calories. Who cares what time you eat it? If you want ice cream at night, eat a little less during the day to account for it

Edit: If you want a lower calorie alternative, maybe you could try frozen yogurt?
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    I just fit it into my daily calories. Who cares what time you eat it? If you want ice cream at night, eat a little less during the day to account for it

This is the first sensible post in this thread. If you're hungry at night, leave some calories in your deficit for that hunger, and eat something that appeals to you. As long as you are still within your calorie deficit, you will continue to lose weight. It doesn't matter what you are eating.
  • madeleadele
    madeleadele Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I usually don't get hungry at night, as I eat dinner kinda late. When I do have a late night craving, I assess and see if I can eat in moderation, and if I have enough calories left that day. If the answer to both of these is yes, great! If not, I may still eat whatever it is I'm craving, or I might brush my teeth and put my retainer in, or drink some tea instead.
  • kimw91
    kimw91 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I always make sure I plan a 2-300kcal snack after dinner because I know I'll be craving something sweet. Usually this will be high protein and seeing I always and up short on fats, high fat too. So I second rawhidenadz: fit it in.
  • Charliecatesq
    Charliecatesq Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I find chocolate that requires you break it up to eat it is good, you can work out how many "squares" you can have and build them in for later in the evening. Salted dark choc is my go to. Best advice for sweet stuff is weigh it and portion it so you know your can have "a bag"
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,859 Member
    Options
    Planned into my daily calories is a bowl of yogurt at about 10 pm ... usually topped with a bit of low-cal chocolate sauce and whipped cream. :)
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Lately I've been having food cravings at night, I've been satisfying them with peanut butter. One serving is 200 calories. The fat is good for satiety and is a nice, healthy fat.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    My go to is a 40 calorie Fudgesicle.
  • mericose
    mericose Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Teaspoon of peanut butter stops my cravings.
  • sofaking6
    Options
    I'ma start putting some peanut butter on my Fudgesicle.
  • brentopia
    brentopia Posts: 113 Member
    Options

^^^ This! I try to always leave some calories for late evening - or I feel like I'm deprived. Just a bad habit I developed, I guess - but having a cup of tea and a late snack is mostly every night for me. I purposely allow calorie room to enable this. Good luck!
  • Holly_Wood_888
    Holly_Wood_888 Posts: 264 Member
    Options

you know where that ice cream is gonna go ! That refined sugar is going to turn into fat - so prep your mind and reach for some Sugar Free Jello that you ALREADY have prepared in the fridge for those late night cravings
  • sofaking6
    Options
    you know where that ice cream is gonna go ! That refined sugar is going to turn into fat - so prep your mind and reach for some Sugar Free Jello that you ALREADY have prepared in the fridge for those late night cravings

Huh?
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    Eat a bit less during the day so you have extra calories in the evening. Or get in a workout so you earn some extra calories for the day and enjoy your ice cream!
  • 6502programmer
    6502programmer Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Leave the wiggle room for the end of the day. If you have the craving and want to give in to it, great! You still have the calories to give so it's not a problem. If you don't need to feed the crave, even better--You went under for the day.

I leave the calories open so if I want a snack, I can have it and not feel guilty. Last night, I closed 800 under my (admittedly easy) target of -.5 pounds per week which gave me 2550 with the day's exercise. I wanted to have a Thirsty Dog Twelve Dogs of Christmas beer, but I decided I would rather savor my 800 calorie under day versus celebrate a 425 under one with a beer.
  • LeslieB042812
    LeslieB042812 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options

Uh no.....that's not how it works.....

Also, I find that when I have a craving, eating something else (unless it's really similar, like the cool whip suggestion) won't help--I'll just end up eating the fruit AND the ice cream, which is entirely counter-productive. I also advocate having lower calorie ice cream options on hand and saving some calories for it. I really like the Breyer's slow churned ice cream, which is usually about 120-150 calories per serving and tastes "real" and satisfying. Just make sure you weigh out your portion. 60 calorie frozen fruit bars are another great option (I'm personally not a fan of fudge bars, but if you like them, that's another good suggestion) for when you might not have saved enough calories or are afraid you can't be trusted to weigh out just one portion. ;-)

Finally, when you do break down and eat the ice cream even when you haven't budgeted for it, just make sure you log it and move on.

Good luck!