Treadmill vs outdoor run

Options
forgive me if this is an ignorant post, but I'm trying to get Into running. I love cardio. But I've found that when I run on a treadmill it's like pure death. I get tired SO easily... But if I run outside its so much easier. What in the world??

Replies

• Timorous_Beastie
    Timorous_Beastie Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I prefer running outside. The dreadmill is just so boring! Even with a tv on or music, all I can focus on is the slow progression of numbers on the display. Outside, I'm focusing on not stepping in a pothole and avoiding traffic, and I'm not paying as much attention to the actual act of running. Plus, outside, there's (usually) better airflow. And - I think this is a big one for me - it's just not natural for me to run at one steady, exact pace. It's normal to speed up and slow down a little when running, and you're being forced to keep at one pace on a treadmill.
  • Deena_Bean
    Deena_Bean Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    Preference - outdoors is more visually engaging so it feels easier because you're better distracted. I like them both as long as I have a movie playing while I run. That equals a good distraction for me, too.
  • PAdamson
    PAdamson Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Interesting commentary. I find the inverse for myself. I have a difficult time managing my pace when I run outside, but enjoy using the pacing of a treadmill to keep me on track. I find that when I run outside, I pace based on the environment - cars, bikers, other runners. Maybe it is an environmental issue for you - sunshine elevates mood / fresh air elevates mood, but inside could be a real downer for you based on lighting or air quality. Does this happen at all gyms/locations you run on a treadmill?
  • aecahill30
    aecahill30 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way! Running outside, you can watch your progress because the scenery keeps changing. With a treadmill, you feel like you've put in a ton of effort and gone nowhere.
  • JasmijnRF
    JasmijnRF Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    For me it is the opposite. Outside is harder for me, but way more fun. Enjoying the scenery and the fresh air. Love the outdoors
  • VBMeireles
    VBMeireles Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    To me it's the exact opposite. :smile: Go figure.

Treadmills make it easier for me to keep the pace at a constant speed. While outdoor running I find myself often stealthily speeding up thus getting tired fasted. There is no air resistance involved while running on treadmills either.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    forgive me if this is an ignorant post, but I'm trying to get Into running. I love cardio. But I've found that when I run on a treadmill it's like pure death. I get tired SO easily... But if I run outside its so much easier. What in the world??

Could be because you may be able to pace yourself better outside rather than pushing a pace that tires you out easily on the treadmill (because it's forcing you to maintain that pace vs allowing yourself to slow if needed naturally).

But I honestly think it's probably a mental thing. You probably get bored on the treadmill vs running outside. I know when that happens to me, I'm more aware of fatigue and I end up "feeling" it a lot more (when in reality I push harder when doing something I'm not bored at).
  • grassette
    grassette Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    Put your treadmill in front of a big screen tv and watch something that puts you on edge. You won't feel the time go by. Outdoors is wonderful due to the fresh air, the weather, the beauty of nature, but when weather conditions are adverse, the treadmill in front of the TV keeps you going.
  • mericose
    mericose Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Outside is much harder for me as well but definitely more enjoyable. I use the treadmill for sprint / hill work and get outside for the running
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    I find the treadmill terribly boring, too. I only run inside if the temperature is above 90 degrees or below 30 degrees.
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    I find I run faster outside than on the treadmill, without even feeling like I am. It's probably the scenery. I love outdoor running, but where I live I'm not about to run in the snow, so I do treadmills during the winter. Sucks.
  • Watch_Me_Rise
    Watch_Me_Rise Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I greatly dislike treadmills, so I'm biased but I've never heard of treadmill running being harder than outside running, I've always heard the opposite..
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options

I'm with you....

For me the Dreadmill is reserved as a bad weather backup, and it has to be really bad weather - I run outside all year 'round unless there's an ice storm or thunderstorm.

It's not so much getting more tired on it , I just find it boring compared to getting outside (I should also say that I'm blessed to live very close to beautiful recreational pathways along the Ottawa River so I don't have to contend with some of the issues other urban runners may have).

Keep running & have fun!

• T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I have the same issues. I enjoy scenery in trail running over road running, and scenery in road running over treadmill running. On the other hand, I have difficulty managing my pace when running outside... I'll all of a sudden notice myself going way too fast and running out of steam after short distances, then walking for a ways.

The other difference is carrying stuff with me (on me) when running outside. If I'm trail running, I carry more stuff. I need to have some water, and since I am diabetic, I need to carry my glucometer and glucose tablets. I've always struggled with taking more, and sometimes take too much. But I also want to be prepared. Over time, I've minimized how much I carry. For example, if I'm only going out for 10 miles or less on a trail run, if it isn't raining when I start, I probably won't take a rain jacket. If it starts to rain, I'll try to cover my insulin pump with my shirt and hope it doesn't get too wet. But frankly, I haven't had time to do a trail run or an outdoor run for a long time. I'll run for a little while to warm up before lifting weights, but I work FT (it's a busy time right now), I'm a FT grad student (with a very busy class right now), and I'm a local political party leader (the 2016 race for President is starting to heat up).
  • scamp07
    scamp07 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I've run in snow storms instead of on the treadmill. I just can't take it.
  • Virkati
    Virkati Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    I prefer running outside. The dreadmill is just so boring! Even with a tv on or music, all I can focus on is the slow progression of numbers on the display. Outside, I'm focusing on not stepping in a pothole and avoiding traffic, and I'm not paying as much attention to the actual act of running. Plus, outside, there's (usually) better airflow. And - I think this is a big one for me - it's just not natural for me to run at one steady, exact pace. It's normal to speed up and slow down a little when running, and you're being forced to keep at one pace on a treadmill.

For me, it's this. I simply cannot maintain a steady pace on the treadmill no matter what I do. So I'm constantly adjusting it and getting frustrated because I can't find a rhythm. Drives me cray-cray.

Plus, the air flow, scenery, birds, just the whole being outside and feeling that freedom. It's a sense that I only get from being outside and exerting myself just a little beyond what I really want to or think I can do. I'm already trying to figure out how to keep doing my stuff outside when winter sets in. I want to feel the wind against my skin. I want to hate the headwind and LOVE the tailwind. I don't get that from the treadmill.
  • VioletRojo
    VioletRojo Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Nothing can induce me to run on a treadmill. Right now I'm getting up at 4am to avoid the heat; in the winter, I'll run in the afternoons no matter how cold. In my opinion, treadmills are devices of torture.
  • gobonas99
    gobonas99 Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    grassette wrote: »
    but when weather conditions are adverse, the treadmill in front of the TV keeps you going.

Or you could just properly dress for the weather conditions and continue to run outside. :)

I have run on a dreadmill ONCE in the past 2 years - and that was only because it was a VO2 Max test. All of my other runs have been outside - from 90*F with bright sun and 90% humidity to -10*F in the dark with snow and windchills of -20*. I've run in snow storms, bitter windchills, pouring rain, fog, and on icepack. The ONLY times I won't run is if there is lightning or an ice storm....then I just run on a different day.

• sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I can run soooo much faster outside. Plus, the treadmill does weird things to my stride and I end up with hurting legs. I'm 100% for outdoor running!!!
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    sevsmom wrote: »
    I can run soooo much faster outside. Plus, the treadmill does weird things to my stride and I end up with hurting legs. I'm 100% for outdoor running!!!

I've been using the treadmill at my apartment's little gym until recently, and 90% of the time the belt jerks about. A couple times I've almost tripped right into the console. :laugh: