Coffee

Options
adreal
adreal Posts: 229 Member
Anyone use coffee as a prework out? I am trying to force myself to drink it before work outs and runs but am having a hard time getting it down black. Anyone have any tips? Or do I just need to suck it up and drink it :)

Replies

• br3adman
    br3adman Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    You need something cold in the morning to boost your metabolism it takes calories to bring cold water up to your body temp. I guess in your case add splenda it taste like sugar to me.
  • briebee7
    briebee7 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I have an espresso every morning before I run. Not for any other reason except I am a coffee addict! I do a dab of half and half in it and have had no issues. Anything more I feel heavy and gross though.
  • KatFord81
    KatFord81 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Why are you using coffee as a pre-work out? For the boost? You'd want it about a bit before your work out, like 35-45 mins before to give you a boost of energy, but you're right going anything but black can add unwanted sugars and fats, so you want to avoid that. Also keep in mine caffeine is a diuretic so you'll need more water, especially when working out hard. There are better, cleaner, and more efficient ways to get caffeine into your workout that will yield better results than a cup of black coffee (and won't taste as bad). There are problems with coffee in that you can't accurately measure the amount of caffeine you are getting, because all of that is based on the bean, how long it was roasted, dark, light, how long you let it drip, perc, whatever. You don't want to get too much caffeine because it can actual raise your bad cholesterol. Plus you can sometimes be adding all sorts of unexpected chemicals depending on how the beans are grown and processed, Go to a nutrition store and checkout caffeine supplements and try to get the "cleanest" version, meaning something that doesn't have a ton of additives, that's sourced hopefully organically. Good luck!
  • adreal
    Options
    I may have to sweeten it somehow. I just can't seem to make myself drink it black. I am too spoiled by cream and sugar :)
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    br3adman wrote: »
    You need something cold in the morning to boost your metabolism it takes calories to bring cold water up to your body temp. I guess in your case add splenda it taste like sugar to me.

I've seen you post this so many times on the forums... where's the study backing this claim up? lol.
  • getstrongkaylen
    getstrongkaylen Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I personally learned to like the taste of black coffee... For a while there I was forcing it down but now I can't drink anything coffee that has sugar/creamer... I make the baristas at Starbucks remake my drink all the time because they often accidentally put sweetner in it. You can maybe try weening yourself off of it? Like use sugar/creamer and then add less and less every time.
  • rosesteph
    rosesteph Posts: 18 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I use sugar free french vanilla creamer....And drink about a pot of coffee...Then I take an energy metabolism booster vitamin for women....3 TBSpoon...is about 45 calories...
  • br3adman
    br3adman Posts: 284 Member
    Options

I've seen you post this so many times on the forums... where's the study backing this claim up? lol.

It's common sense aka Physics 101.

After a grueling work out, you drink a liter
    (1kg) of cold water (0 C). How many
    Calories does it take for your body to raise
    the water up to body temperature of 37 C?
    (Specific Heat of water is 1 calorie/gram C)
    1) 37 2) 370 3) 3,700 4) 37,000
    1 liter = 1,000 grams of H20
    1000 g x 1 calorie/(gram degree) x (37 degree) = 37,000 calories
    37,000 calories = 37 Calories!
  • IsaackGMOON
    Options

Right.

Seems like too much effort just to burn 37 calories...lol.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    The amount of calories burn bring cold liquid up to temp would be completely negligible. Neither will it boost metabolism.
    But I would try some kind of sweetener. If you like milk/creamer, add it and log the calories. I don't think there's a rule saying it has to be black.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options

Burning a few extra calories drinking cold water (at any point in the day) does not equal boosting metabolism.
  • Bizurke51
    Bizurke51 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I started going to the gym in the morning this week. I'm coffee person as well but I figured preworkout coffee probably isn't the best idea. However, i stumbled upon this great tasting preworkout shake:

1 Cup of Cold brewed coffee (i used left over from the day before)
    1 Scoop Protein Powder
    1 Cup Almond Milk or Skim

Put all into a shaker and enjoy. I had it this morning and wow I was fired up!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    adreal wrote: »
    Anyone use coffee as a prework out? I am trying to force myself to drink it before work outs and runs but am having a hard time getting it down black. Anyone have any tips? Or do I just need to suck it up and drink it :)

you don't need to drink it black. i put some cream and sugar in my pre-workout cup of coffee. enjoy!!

while the science is sound, a cold glass of water that your body spends 37 calories warming up is a pretty negligible in the scheme of things. it does not 'boost' or "restart' the metabolism in anyway at all.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    adreal wrote: »

You can use caffeine pills. It's a bigger rush and you may have to cut them in half to avoid jitters. Caffeine pills are also fairly inexpensive.
  • IsaackGMOON
    edited July 2015
    Options
    For the daring... there is always C4 pwo... ;)
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options

Ummmmm......no, you don't need to "boost your metabolism"

• SBRRepeat
    SBRRepeat Posts: 384 Member
    Options

This is utterly ridiculous.
    I think I'll stick with coffee and my real workout instead of giving myself brain freeze to try to burn 37 calories...
  • IsaackGMOON
    Options
    SBRRepeat wrote: »

This is utterly ridiculous.
    I think I'll stick with coffee and my real workout instead of giving myself brain freeze to try to burn 37 calories...

+1... I drink my water room temp so I can guzzle it down... cold water tastes about 10000 hours just to drink
  • adreal
    Options
    I have been using Cardio Igniter and use that for a boost before I work out. Geting up at 5 am to work out I need something to get me moving. So I wanted to try something different other than the Igniter stuff. I think I am going to have to sweeten it. I just can't do it. I just don't want to throw up on a run either :) Does anyone use any kind of prework out now?
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options

Put.down.the.crack.pipe.please.