Trying to figure out my calorie goal

Options
I'm 5'10 and 216lbs.

I've tried calorie calculators online, but I feel as though they're estimating more than I should consume. They're giving me 1500-1800 calories per day. Is this correct for someone trying to lose weight? I'm currently at 1300.

Any insight is appreciated! :)

Replies

• HealthierAnn
    HealthierAnn Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Zeefishy wrote: »
    I'm 5'10 and 216lbs.

I've tried calorie calculators online, but I feel as though they're estimating more than I should consume. They're giving me 1500-1800 calories per day. Is this correct for someone trying to lose weight? I'm currently at 1300.

Any insight is appreciated! :)

From what I have learned is that you take you current weight x 10 for women and x 11 for men. In your cause 2160. Subtract 500 which will give you a 1660 calories per day. The 500 x 7 is equal to 3500, which is a pound a week.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    You probably need to eat about 2100-2400 to maintain your current weight. You will lose weight at any calories below that. Honestly, I wouldn't stress out about an exact number. Just pick SOME number and stick with it for 4-6 weeks. If you're not losing weight at an acceptable rate, then re-examine the calories or amount of exercise (or accuracy of weighing and logging foods). If MFP is telling you 1300, that probably means you put in "lose 2 lbs per week" as your goal. Honestly, 1300 would be fine, in my opinion, if you eat back exercise calories. But if you don't log your exercise to "earn" more food calories, then 1500-1800 sounds like a better starting point to me.
  • Zeefishy
    Zeefishy Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    WBB55 wrote: »
    You probably need to eat about 2100-2400 to maintain your current weight. You will lose weight at any calories below that. Honestly, I wouldn't stress out about an exact number. Just pick SOME number and stick with it for 4-6 weeks. If you're not losing weight at an acceptable rate, then re-examine the calories or amount of exercise (or accuracy of weighing and logging foods). If MFP is telling you 1300, that probably means you put in "lose 2 lbs per week" as your goal. Honestly, 1300 would be fine, in my opinion, if you eat back exercise calories. But if you don't log your exercise to "earn" more food calories, then 1500-1800 sounds like a better starting point to me.

You're right! I entered 2lbs per week. I'm generally not very active (I'm working on it though) so I lowered my goal some to make up for it. Thank you for the advice. It totally makes sense to use trial and error!

• WBB55
    Options
    It totally makes sense to use trial and error!

Sure thing! No need to stress about it, but make sure you give your initial calorie goal at least 4 weeks (unless you're "hangry" all the time, then bump it up a little). Don't reduce it or make other changes until you've given the current plan a chance to work.

• WBB55
    Options
    I'm generally not very active

I wanted to add that even if you laid in bed all day, you would still burn something like 1800 calories. So keep that in mind that you don't HAVE to kill yourself at the gym or eat 1200 calories/day to lose weight.

• Pcarsley
    Pcarsley Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Apart from recent occasions at weekends I am always well under my calorie goal especially when training. I eat some of them back but still stay generally several hundred calories under. As far as I am aware if you stay under or at your goal you should lose weight. Your body needs fuel, just like your car, the further and faster to drive, the more energy it consumes. Provide you don't undo all of the good work, I don't think there is a problem.
    I've been losing weight at a steady pace for the last 2 years (3stones) and plateaued, which is surprising since I enjoy more than a few beers at weekends and largely(pardon the pun) adopted the 80/20% rule where I pretty much do as I please at weekends but am disciplined all other times. Now I run 10k 3 times weekly with other cardio and strength training mixed in over 4-5 gym visits. A pro told me I probably wasn't eating enough calories for the amount of energy consumed, hey presto after first week lost 2lbs! Simply recording what you eat helps, I find! It makes me more aware of what I eat and can control it.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    For me, 1300 would be too low. 1400-1600 was a good range, allowing me to eat meals & snacks and feel satisfied. I'm 5'5.5" and went from 180ish to 120's.

1500-1800 is probably a good range for you, best thing to do is give it a try for 6-8 weeks. :)
  • teanahk
    teanahk Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'10 as well, when I started I was a bit heavier than the OP.

I've lost 30 pounds since March. I started at around 1,800 and am now eating around 1,600. I would be a "hangry" miserable person on 1,300.

For sure try the higher number for a month or two and see how it goes. As long as you're logging accurately it should work :)