What do you do while on vacation?

Options

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I travel quite a bit, so I can't...umm.. do what's described in the OP (lol).

I watch carbs/fiber when I travel, and know I'll walk more, which usually offsets the increase in wine. :drinker:
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    randomtai wrote: »
    completely irrelevant .. 6 more weeks :bigsmile: villa, private pool, hot tub, beach, sangria ...

I unfriend you.

You can't .. I shall hold onto your ankles screaming 'No .. don't leave me'

This is true... I shall vacation vicariously through you! :D I know your diary will not disappoint.
  • AdamImadA
    AdamImadA Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I generally try to be careful .. we tend to rent houses out so I put decent foods in the fridge ... and I try to make sure I'm taking beach walks an swimming a lot .. then I can eat what I want when we go out (within reason)

This (^^) is my usual plan. Modified indulging. Go to maintenance or a little more, and exercise more
  • megomerrett
    megomerrett Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I was on holiday last week. I didn't log. I ate food I love and drank way too much. I would have been fine on just the food (seafood, salads etc) but went overboard on gin, beer and wine! We stayed in a friend's family home so cooked from scratch.

Back on it now. Put on a bit but nothing I can't handle.

On my week holiday with my family we do a shop at the start of the week with planned meals, picnics etc.

• sarahlifts
    sarahlifts Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Enjoy being on vacation. Throw caution to the wind. Enjoy the food. Enjoy the culture. Enjoy the company.

I know how to lose whatever I gain, CICO. I know most of what I gain will be water. I'm not prepping for the stage ot trying to make weight. I am going to enjoy myself. I will most likely train too bc I like it.
  • runnerchick69
    runnerchick69 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I eat whatever my heart desires :) I still run and workout, that part stays the same, but I don't count calories or really worry about what I'm eating. We were in Rome in March so I could run their marathon and I ate all kinds of new foods with no clue what the calorie count was. After Rome we flew to Dublin for the last part of our vacation where I went for a few runs and used the hotel gym. Again I ate whatever looked good, including desserts :) I've been maintaining for several years so I've learned you have to live life and food is a huge part of that. Once I was back home I was back on track and the few pounds I gained I took back off in a few weeks.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    I try to stay active (I probably walk at least double what I normally do when we travel). I try to eat "reasonably" for two meals and will eat whatever I want for a third plus snacks. I don't really do this for weight loss reasons anymore; I actually do it because I don't want to feel awful. I feel sick if I just stuff myself silly for all the meals everyday. I also figure that I've spent the money to travel, then I want to enjoy it. When's the next time I'll be able to try XYZ? So I might as well try it. Doesn't mean I need to order the super XL size and eat until I'm sick, but I can try a little of everything.

Last time I went on vacation I lost two pounds by the time I came back.

This is my method, but I generally only have 1-2 weeks of vacation a year. If you travel frequently (like for work), you may need a different plan. But 1 or 2 weeks out of the year aren't going to harm you in the long run.

What really matters is what you do when you get back. If you buckle right back down, you'll be ok. If you let your vacation behaviors continue (assuming you aren't counting while you're away), then you can get into trouble.
  • debrag12
    debrag12 Posts: 1,071 Member
    Options
    I've just come back from the states, I ate what I liked when I liked and basically maintained. I did a lot of walking though
  • brendanathania
    brendanathania Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    If you do a hard thing such as climbing hills. Sometimes if it's a hobby you wont feel too hungry cause it's focused to your duties. But if you only take a seat at home instead of doing any duties, hungry or a feeling that makes you wanna eat snacks or another is going to appear automatically. But also dont forget that humans need food tho.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I went to Washington and NYC at the beginning of May and decided that was a good time for a diet break...came home the exact same weight as the day I left. A 3-hour connection in Atlanta helped, as I walked the terminal 4-5 times while I waited for my flight.
  • annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    I guess I'm pretty lucky as I dont drink at all, so that saves me a ton of unwanted calories. I've also learned to really like healthy food, and will pick that over anything greasy or fried whenever I can. I do however definitely splurge on sweets or desserts when I'm on vacation, but it doesnt do much damage in the end.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    I eat healthy options when given the opportunity, or take healthy snacks
    but I'm not too worried because my vacations tend to involve lots of hiking here and walking there and a stroll thru town.
  • fitchlets
    fitchlets Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Just to update you all, I went on vacation for 6 days and ate everything and anything I wanted. I was up 8 pounds when I came back, lost those 8 pounds in 2 days and down another 3 from my lowest weight. I don't know if it got my metabolism in full swing or what, but I'm super excited about it. I did workout 4 of those 6 days, but I was eating a ton of calories too.
  • SharonBrobst
    SharonBrobst Posts: 62 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I went on vacation last month and was worried since we had decided to eat out every night for dinner. (vacation means I don't have to cook!) Anyway I just made wise, healthy choices when I could, when I couldn't I just didn't worry about it. I even had dessert twice. (I've cut out added sugar) We were at the beach and I choose to walk a lot and even rented bikes. When I got on the scales at home I hadn't lost anything but I hadn't gained anything either so I was happy.

• dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Vacations are supposed to be fun, and if I spend my entire time worrying about my eating, I won't have fun. Now, I don't pig out and I do watch what I'm eating what I can. I've partially retrained my body to what an acceptable portion is, so I do self-limit to a point. Doesn't mean I don't go over, I do, but I decided a long time ago not to worry about. But then, I also try to be a lot more active on vacation, so it tends to balance out. I figure as long as I don't gain, I've come out ahead!
  • Dead_Darling
    Dead_Darling Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I'm off to Canada in mid September, but I've already planned to go hiking and maybe take advantage of the gyms in the two hotels I'll be staying in. Usually when I'm on holiday I tend to swim and walk loads. I tend to eat a lot, but only because I like to try the local foods. This time though I will try to keep my eating under control.
    I'm also off to Paris for a weekend at the end of August with my boyfriend, and we'll be staying at my aunt's place. However, because she lives in the middle of the city, there will be loads and loads of walking then!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    fitchlets wrote: »
    do you go balls to the wall eating whatever you want or stay within calories strictly or maybe just have one cheat meal a day?

"balls to the wall whatever"...no...why does it have to be so extreme? I enjoy myself...I eat and enjoy whatever the local fare is...and I like trying different and new things...part of the fun of vacation for me...but that doesn't mean I have to run completely off the rails and just stuff *kitten* into my pie whole for the hell of it.

I've maintained for over two years and I don't log...that is largely a bi-product of maintaining the healthy eating habits I developed while losing. Yeah, I might have a day here and there where I over do it (i.e. feast holidays, etc)...but I seriously don't see a vacation as a reason to just stuff my face full of *kitten*.

ETA: most of my vacations also include a ton of activity...I'm always going...so I don't worry a whole lot about it...but no, I don't just stuff my face to the point of being so full that I feel like *kitten*. I hate that feeling.
  • nichalsont
    nichalsont Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Depends on what you are doing on vacation besides eating. Lying on the beach, you might want to watch it; touring Washington DC or hiking in the mountains, probably doesn't matter much what you eat.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    I ate what I wanted, which meant I was over on calories, but I was also very active. Note: I was in maintenance by the time vacation came around, so now I'm back to slight deficit for a week or two to make up for it.
    fitchlets wrote: »
    do you go balls to the wall eating whatever you want or stay within calories strictly or maybe just have one cheat meal a day?

• ohgeeque
    ohgeeque Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I always ask myself, "Can I get this at home?" or "Can I make this at home?" If the answer is no, if I want it, I eat it and trust that I will be active enough to create a balance. Chances are good that next year's vacation will be someplace else and I don't want to miss an opportunity to try something new. On the other hand, a cheeseburger in paradise is still just a cheeseburger.

Oh, yes, one more thing, there are no calories in vacation vodka or vacation wine.