Weight lifting

Options
What is the Point of logging my weight lifting when mfp does nothing for it it doesn't show any calories burn so what would be the point to log it. It doesn't communicate with my Fitbit to tell it that I logged my weight lifting either

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    If you go under cardio, you can log the calories from weight lifting (it might be under strength training, I forget exactly.)

The other logging section is more for keeping track of your sets, reps, etc.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Track progress.

Calories burned should not be the reason for lifting. gaining strength, gaining muscle, retaining muscle, increasing bone density, to feel bad *kitten*, etc, are reasons to lift.
  • whatatime2befit
    whatatime2befit Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    There's a strength training option under Cardio. It'll give you calories for the time you list for it.

Keep in mind that the calories it gives is likely overinflated though.
  • EzRemake
    EzRemake Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    If there's anything I've learned, it's that there's almost no point in counting calories burned from lifting. For the longest time I assumed it burned at least 200 calories, I mean, how could it not right? Turns out, not even close.
  • Texas2Germany
    Texas2Germany Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    there is an answer to your question on hello healthy under my fitness pal tips October 11, 2013 -muscle matters
    Hope that helps and good luck
  • UnleashedBeast2015
    UnleashedBeast2015 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    So what is exactly true ? People say do less weights more reps other people say try to do heavy weights to get cut what is better to do ?
  • pmm3437
    pmm3437 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Short answer -
    Doesn't matter, cause none of it is accurate anyway ( strength or cardio ).

Long answer -
    It is impossible to even make a reasonable estimate for calorie burns for weight training, since there are too many unknown variables to account for. This is why the calorie estimates for cardio are notoriously inaccurate too.
    The only way to accurately estimate calorie burn is via VO2 Max or HRM readings, while doing steady state cardio.

The only real purpose for it is to prove an area where you can track your set/reps/weight progress for your routines.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    So what is exactly true ? People say do less weights more reps other people say try to do heavy weights to get cut what is better to do ?

Calorie deficit.
  • erickirb
    Options

Heavy weights low reps going progressively heavier is best to retain lean muscle and gain strength while eating at a caloric deficit (trying to lose weight)
  • cbrook29
    cbrook29 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I am very active in the gym and on some days doing lunges, battling ropes (also no way to track HIIT without a heart monitor ). No good way to track calories burned so I just put down " leisurely walk". My heart rate is elevated during my workouts. Fitbits are notoriously "off "for lots of things outside of walking. I use leisurely walking because I am sure it is on the low side of what I burn. Some days I even finish with burpees.
  • cbrook29
    Options
    jimmmer wrote: »

Calorie deficit.

Everybody's arms are composed of different types muscle fibers - some respond well to more volume and some respond to high weight. I do both to cover the bases. Find out which one works best for you.
  • cbrook29
    Options
    Sorry jjimmmer didn't mean to quote you!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    NOt sure if Fitbit does this but my jawbone does track my weight lifting...I set a timer for it and bam..

that being said I don't typically use them as I feel they are inflated as well. 100 calories for 15mins of deads..no.

But I don't lift for calorie deficit...I lift to be strong.
  • erickirb
    Options
    cbrook29 wrote: »
    I am very active in the gym and on some days doing lunges, battling ropes (also no way to track HIIT without a heart monitor ). No good way to track calories burned so I just put down " leisurely walk". My heart rate is elevated during my workouts. Fitbits are notoriously "off "for lots of things outside of walking. I use leisurely walking because I am sure it is on the low side of what I burn. Some days I even finish with burpees.

Actually HRMs will be way off for HIIT, they are only made to be somewhat accurate for steady state cardio only
  • moesis
    moesis Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    I have found tracking weighlifing on MFP to be pointless, I'm using an app called MetricMe to track my sets.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    What is the Point of logging my weight lifting when mfp does nothing for it it doesn't show any calories burn so what would be the point to log it. It doesn't communicate with my Fitbit to tell it that I logged my weight lifting either

Exercise for fitness; log to lose weight.

And log your exercise in Fitbit rather than MFP. Your Fitbit burn is TDEE, and exercise logged in MFP overwrites your Fitbit burn during that time. If you want your Fitbit exercise to appear in your newsfeed, post a status update.

You can learn more in the Fitbit Users group: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1290-fitbit-users