weight to dress size ratio poll

Options

Replies

• dbdmom2many
    dbdmom2many Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    This site always gives me dysmorphia anxiety.

I'm 5'0', 161 lbs and a size 16. If I search by size, every woman my height and weight is claiming to wear a 8/10/12, and women wearing size 16s are all twenty to thirty pounds heavier than I am. Either Canadian clothing sizes are WAY smaller than UK and American, or a lot of ladies are lying about their pants.

[/quote]

I vote lying. At 161 (I'm 5'4") I was a comfortable 14/MAYBE sneak into 12. Although I have to admit that I wear a smaller size than some of the women who are comparable to me in height/weight, but I've been lifting heavy for the past few years and may have more muscle than my counterparts.

Also, body composition. Maybe the smaller sizes carry more weight in their upper bodies.[/quote]

I'm 5'4, 170 lbs (heaviest was 210), and I am busty and all the rest of my weight is in front in my belly/abdomen. Comparatively speaking, I have a little rear and skinny legs. I detest shopping for pants or, well, anything. Depending on the cut of a shirt/blouse, I wear a 14 or 16, but usually larger than that to accommodate my girth around the waist area. Pants/skirts--I'm all over the place depending on how expensive the clothing is. (The more expensive, the smaller the size, I have found...) I am in on size 16, but I have 18-sized pants that are tight on me, too. Don't wear pants much. I usually find skirts to be more forgiving... Can't wait until the day comes when I can shop in non plus-sized shops/sections again!
  • Laurenjenai
    Laurenjenai Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Hi girls iv always thought i was quite heavy for my dress size 16. I weigh 14st 1. Just wondered if any of u are comfortable with sharing your weight dress size just for a bit of an eye opener really as some women have more muscle than others etc or like me big busted haha so be a good poll to read x

at 150 lbs 5 foot 6 I mostly wore a size 6/8. Medium shirts

• haleyjones7
    haleyjones7 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    5'5 weigh 150 wear a 6/8
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    5'6", 192, wearing 14/16, tempted to check if large shirts fit (been wearing XL since last summer)
  • annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    5'1, 108lbs, xs/0
  • jnmrie
    jnmrie Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    5'5, 232 lbs, wearing 16/18 pants, L/XL shirts.
  • Clarewho
    Clarewho Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Hi girls iv always thought i was quite heavy for my dress size 16. I weigh 14st 1. Just wondered if any of u are comfortable with sharing your weight dress size just for a bit of an eye opener really as some women have more muscle than others etc or like me big busted haha so be a good poll to read x

I'm 11 stone 4 this morning, 158lbs, 5'8 and a size 10 to 12 UK (6-8 US) ...more UK 10 than 12 recently, and slipping into an 8 in places like White Stuff or Gap

Well that demonstrates the difference a more muscular body composition makes. My stats are exactly the same @rabbitjb I weighed 11st 3.4 this morn and I'm 5'8". I aspire to look like you! I'm still a definite UK 12 top and 12/14 bottoms
  • Becka4Real
    Becka4Real Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    I carry most of my weight in my upper body (not boobs, kind of everywhere and the smallest part of my waist is only a few inches smaller than my hips) This is an unfortunate body type for Women's clothes. I am 5'5" and weight between 158-160. I can be a 10 in one store and a 14 in another store. I do have one pair of size 8 pants that fit and a size 10 that are still a little tight. I kind of gave up on sizes.
  • dawnna76
    dawnna76 Posts: 987 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    5'8" 185lbs and a size 12 (us)
  • triciab79
    triciab79 Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    I am 5'4" 122lbs I wear an American size 2 (misses) 3-5 (juniors). Sizes vary wildly by brand and cut so I can be anything from a 0 to a 5 depending on the cut.
  • AuroraGeorge8393
    AuroraGeorge8393 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    5ft 6in 176 pounds. I'm a size 12/14 or L/XL (UK size 14/16) on the bottom - it all depends on the maker. On top I'm a US size 10/12 or M/L (UK size 12/14).

My body shape is a somewhat top-heavy pear shape - too much fat on the hips to be a true hourglass, but too buxom to be a true pear shape. End result, I have trouble finding clothes that fit properly. I always seem to fall between sizes. If pants fit in the hips, for example, they tend to be too loose in the butt or legs, and vice versa.

I wish they'd return to standardized sizing. I'm not sure who they think they are pleasing with irregular and "vanity" sizes. Frankly, I'd just like to know that whether I'm a size 8 or a size 20, that all clothes of that size will actually fit me.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,671 Member
    Options
    5'10", 140lbs
    I find sizing very frustrating. I'm anywhere from size 4-8 depending on fit. Although I just bought a size 2 top and it's too big. Go figure.
  • AuroraGeorge8393
    AuroraGeorge8393 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    flaminica wrote: »
    wbandel wrote: »
    There's a website called mybodygallery.com which has a database of women based on height and weight. You can also search by clothes size. That might give you an idea of what the average clothes size is based on those factors. Otherwise there are just so many variables.

This site always gives me dysmorphia anxiety.

I'm 5'0', 161 lbs and a size 16. If I search by size, every woman my height and weight is claiming to wear a 8/10/12, and women wearing size 16s are all twenty to thirty pounds heavier than I am. Either Canadian clothing sizes are WAY smaller than UK and American, or a lot of ladies are lying about their pants.

I've noticed the same thing. Admittedly, some of the women are quite fit, and that makes a big difference, but I think several of the women are either overestimating their weight or fibbing about their dress size on that website.
  • SharonBrobst
    SharonBrobst Posts: 62 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Wow, this has been very enlightening.

I am currently 5/7 and at 168 I wear a size 14 or L dress. Sometimes, depending on how the fit is I need to go higher...so I don't buy the dress! ;-)
  • CandyMonster160
    CandyMonster160 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I am 5'4, 175 pounds. Size 10/12 pants and a M/L shirt depending on the brand and store. I think it's so interesting how different we all are with our body compositions and how we carry our weight! Great job everyone!! :smiley:
  • cocoalba
    cocoalba Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I feel like an anomaly: 5'5", 190ish lbs and a size 10 in dresses and a size 12/14 in pants (depending on manufacturer). I'm curvy: big boobs, a small waist, hips with ample thighs. I also lift weights. The size and fit of clothes > the scale.
  • itsmenikkit
    itsmenikkit Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies! This is something that I struggled with during my entire childhood and adolescence, but now that I'm older and wiser I've absolutely accepted that this is who I am and want to share that with others!

I wish that every young girl could understand that we're all built differently and not every one of us is going to be a size 6 and weigh 100 pounds.

Here where I am:
    5'9"
    size 14-16
    216 pounds
    35% body fat

Goal weight: 175

I know that I don't look like I weigh over 200 pounds and that's part of the power in this. People look at me like I'm crazy when I say I want to lose 40 pounds. I wear a size 11 shoe, size 10 ring, bra size 38C, have huge calves, and I'm 'big boned' as I've heard my ENTIRE life. Come to find out, it's pretty true!

I lost a bunch of weight in high school and was skinnier than I ever needed to be and was still an 11/12 and weighed 155 pounds. I struggled with those numbers for years because it had been drilled into my head for all my years that that was unacceptable and I was fat. Not true at all!

We're all built so differently and the number on the scale shouldn't mean anything. It's all about how you feel and we're all friggin' beautiful!!!

That's the end of my soap box. =)
  • leahgoldgirl
    leahgoldgirl Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    5 ft tall even, 115 lbs, 20-21% body fat, 93 lbs of lean mass (as of 2 months ago, per a dexa scan). 93 lbs of lean mass apparently means I'm carrying considerably more muscle than the average person my height.

I wear an American size 0, which is probably a UK 2-4.
  • mousie1973
    mousie1973 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    i am 5' 8" , I weigh 281 and I am in a 24/26 in pants and 2xl in shirts... altho my 26s are quite baggy on me... i might be able to fit into a 22/24
  • NefariousDrR
    NefariousDrR Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    138lbs, 5'6 , dress size 4/6