In Between Meal Snacks with high Fiber/high Protein

Options
Domineer
Domineer Posts: 239 Member
I am losing weight pretty quickly on my current plan, but I do experience hunger pangs at work, not big ones, but enough to be a difference maker in me sticking to my plan in the long term. I was wondering, what are some quick snacks that I could eat between meals? I normally eat breakfast at 7am....lunch at 12pm....dinner at 9pm. I need a snack at 9:30a. Typically, I'll eat an apple when I leave work after 5pm and that miraculously holds me until dinner (I keep myself busy). Just want to add a few tweaks to my plan, nothing major.

Replies

• ffbrown25
    ffbrown25 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I *love* Quest bars. The Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough ones have 21g of protein and 17g of fiber.
  • Faith4eva31
    Faith4eva31 Posts: 98 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Yes and this is the best way to lose weight, eating more. The ideal meal plan I believe is 6 small meals a day. I typically drink hot green tea in between my meals. This definitely helps suppress the hunger. I also do the same as you, I might eat an apple, or banana or have some almonds or celery/carrots with peanut butter. I drink green tea 3x a day. You can probably eat two apples a day and maybe add some peanut butter with them. Every 2-3 hours eating something small should help you! Good luck!
  • lalepepper
    lalepepper Posts: 447 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Spreading your calories out throughout the day can work very well if you're struggling with hunger.

High fiber AND high protein options are somewhat limited - Quest bars are popular but a bit pricey at $2+ a bar - I love them, but when I have them I end up finding ways to eat them more often than I need to! I also find whole foods to be more satisfying than bars.

Whole wheat options are always great for fiber, and often have a good dose of protein too. For example, I eat Mission Whole Wheat Tortillas (Large) and they're 210 calories, 9g protein, and 26g (!) fiber. Maybe you could combine a small whole wheat wrap with a small amount of egg salad, turkey/chicken/ham, or tuna for a filling snack of around 200-250 calories. Throw on some spinach for an extra bit of protein, fiber, and vit A+C. Fresh veggies and fruits are also good sources of fiber that you could combine with things like hummus, nut butters, sour cream, cottage cheese, or greek yogurt for extra protein. You can also get oat bran which can be stirred in to parfaits for an extra dose of fiber.
  • BringingSherriBack
    BringingSherriBack Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Ole Mexican High Fiber Low Carb tortilla wraps have 90 calories, with 5 grams of protein, and 9 grams of fiber. I like these make wraps with turkey or ham and cheese and whatever veggies I like. I also like to use them to make a low carb, high fiber, high protein quick quesadilla.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Dry roasted soy beans or edamame.
  • pmm3437
    pmm3437 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I keep a container of nuts in my desk drawer at work. Whenever I have a day where I need a little something in between at work, a small handful usually takes care of it.

An oz. of peanuts, for example, will provide 14g fat 7g protein and 2g fiber for only 170 calories, which will help get you to the next meal.

Ive been known to keep cracker snack packs, random store brand protein bars, cheese sticks, or fiber one brownies around too. The trick is shelf stable at room temperature, you can grab on demand ( so you dont head to the vending machine instead ), and to rotate your stock.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I'll second roasted edamame. :)
  • abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I third roasted edamame. I'm munching on some spicy wasabi ones right now (and it's helping me reach my protein and fiber goals).
  • mpat81
    mpat81 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I like the little packs of hummus and pretzels. I think they are Sabra brand (?).
  • Camomilejane
    Camomilejane Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Love green tea!
  • Jackie9950
    Jackie9950 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I second green tea! That's what I will drink at night before bed!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt with a couple TBL of FiberOne mix in.
  • Domineer
    Domineer Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Thank you all. I actually tried a Pure Protein chocolate peanut caramel bar (190 cals, 20 g protein, 2g sugar) and it tied me over for 2.5 hours until lunch. I think I will buy a box and that should do just the trick for my work week. :)
  • clh72569
    clh72569 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Laughing cow cheese wedge 35 calories, Baby bel lite 50 calories. Good protein, keeps me satisfied.