Let's talk salads!

Options

Replies

• carlstokes8
    carlstokes8 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I like mustard and low cal salsa, their is a lot of low cal flavored mustard. I also use light sour cream to replace a creamy taste..
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Generally I make my own vinaigrette with 1 Tbs olive oil, some type of vinegar and whatever else I feel like adding.

But, when I want a really low cal dressing I just add balsamic vinegar. It adds lots of flavor and has practically no calories.
  • sheldonklein
    sheldonklein Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Adding feta, oil and avocado to a salad is an excellent way to make a good salad, but a lousy way to lower calories. The salad dressing is calorie dense because of the oil. If you want to lower those calories, you can change the oil to acid ratio or add some water. Good quality acid (quality vinegar or fresh citrus juice) helps. Or you can buy "low cal" dressings and eat salads that taste like chemical waste and have far more calories than you think because it takes a dump truck full to coat a salad.
  • Vanyahiril
    Vanyahiril Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I agree with the flavorful ingredients. And avocado will give you a creamy texture. I like to use pico de gallo with either extra lime juice or balsamic vinegar. In a pinch I use my favorite salsa.

I love salsa on salad! Especially fresh salsa, nom nom!
  • mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    I like to use different things besides just lettuce such as roasted veggies, grains, dried fruit, nuts, etc
  • whee1234
    whee1234 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I'll dilute a small serving of a higher calorie dressing with water or milk- covers more veggies that way.

Adding salt and pepper adds a lot of flavor too!
  • deannaaaaaaaaa
    deannaaaaaaaaa Posts: 238 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Highly recommend: Bolthouse dressings. I've tried the balsamic and honey mustard because I couldnt just choose 1, and they are both tasty! 30-45ish cals per serving :)

Also, I've been adding fresh herbs to my kale and it makes ALL the difference. Try adding a few fresh basil leaves, mint leaves, pineapple mint, or lemonbalm. YUM!

Other interesting things to add flavor: 1/2 an avacado, a quick spoonful of low-fat cottage cheese, and a few almonds for texture :)
  • mygnsac
    mygnsac Posts: 13,413 Member
    Options
    I usually throw a little cheese and/or protein in my salads. That usually gives it enough added flavor. Sometimes I season it with a little garlic salt and black pepper and/or lemon juice. I rarely use salad dressings.
  • gamesandgains
    gamesandgains Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    Bolthouse Farms. Good stuff.
  • RadiantKola
    RadiantKola Posts: 7 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I make my own dressing (love that "dinosaur" analogy lol). I find ready made dressings, especially of the lower calorie variety, just lake a freshness I'm craving. I usually use a high quality oil - olive, flaxseed - some delicious vinegar (often organic apple cider) - a whole clove of garlic (no kisses for me, even though the men are checking cos I've almost lost 50lbs!) - and spices (ground pepper/Mrs.Dash or fresh herbs from my neighbors garden that they generously share with me).

Lately, post workout (I am getting fit with Focus T25 at home and I LOVE LOVE LOVE IT), I have found that a can of tuna, some fresh greens (I prefer to wash and cut up my own store bought greens: romaine/kale/arugula/watercress...etc.) a soft boiled egg and my own dressing and whatever veggies I have in the fridge that can be cut or even cooked leftover veg, work well. I like to sprinkle sunflower seeds or any kind of seeds in there and experiment with spices (in the dressing). The other day I worked it up, Indian style, with some cumin, turmeric, cayenne pepper, and curry powder. I get a load of protein and my greens in their (don't forget to go orange each day for the beta carotene).

Hope this helps. You can substitute any kind of tinned or leftover fish or other protein. Some days I like veggie proteins, other days I gotta thank the animals for giving me their power! Muhahahahahhaha! STAY FIT AND ENJOY YOUR FINE SELF EVERY SINGLE DAY, NO MATTER WHAT THEY SAY...NO MATTER WHAT YOU WEIGH!

• br3adman
    br3adman Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Make different greek salads just don't use lots of olive oil.
  • ItsCraash
    ItsCraash Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Wow!! Went to work and this blew up. Thank you all for the suggestions, definitely running to the store tonight. Looks like bolthouse might be the low cal dressing I wanna try. I'm also excited to try and make my own dressing :) lots of great ideas, I love it.
  • ItsCraash
    ItsCraash Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I think that was my whole problem just can't stand the thought of wasting calories on a dressing. I'm gonna go with Greek salad for tomorrow. Because today's salad was so sad...
  • Kexessa
    Kexessa Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Bolthouse is my go-to dressing. (They are in the cold area of my grocery produce section.) I believe they are all yogurt based, too. Yummy! :)

Agreed! They taste very good. I have a salad almost everyday with spinach instead of lettuce. I use Bolthouse Farms exclusively. Their dressings are also good for wraps, tacos, on chicken before baking, even thick fish cuts. Especially the cilantro avocado and caesar parmesan. At 40 calories for 2 tbls they are worth it.

I don't like vinegar, not even pickles, so I have to find an alternative to the oil/vinegar dressings.
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I top my salads with a small scoop of hummus and a sprinkle of feta cheese instead of dressing.
  • mygnsac
    mygnsac Posts: 13,413 Member
    Options
    A little avocado mashed up with some tomato seasoned to taste also makes a nice dressing for a salad.
  • golgoroo
    golgoroo Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    My favorite salad of the moment (eating it right now, as a matter of fact) is purple kale, goat cheese crumbles and mild pepperocini slices. I also add apple, but since you don't like fruit in salad...

The dressing of choice for this is Safeway's Asian (35 cals per 2 tbsp).
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    oh you know what is good too.

Use some feta and melt it...add herbs and spices you like and thin it with water or oil or vinegar or lemon juice and poor it over you salad
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    And orange thyme vinaigrette is yummieee
  • Happymom83
    Happymom83 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I love the Walden Farms Honey Dijon, and Thousand Island. I also like to use fresh/local salsa :)