weight to dress size ratio poll

Options
1235»

Replies

• dbienz
    dbienz Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I'm almost 6 feet tall and weigh 185 pounds currently. I wear a size 10 in pants and medium (usually) on top. I have a B cup so nothing huge on top but I have been blessed with a booty. I am almost all legs, with a 35.5" inseam, so I have to buy most of my dresses in a large for length and get them taken in (because I really need a medium).

Also, a couple years ago I weighed 154 pounds and was a size 8... less than a year ago at 208 pounds I was a size 12. Even with a 50 pound fluctuation my size doesn't change much at all. At my height there are just a lot more places to hide it...
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'6 and bedore I got pregnant with my 3rd I was 11 stone (154lbs) and a UK size 10/12 (US 6/8).

I'm not sure how much I weigh right now, as I haven't weighed myself for a few months, but I'd guess around 170-175lbs, and I'm a UK 12/14, although i can fit into my old size 10 dresses if they have a little give in them. The only clothes I can't wear are my smallest jeans as my hips and stomach are still bigger, whereas my waist is only an inch bigger than it was.
  • AuroraGeorge8393
    AuroraGeorge8393 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    I'm 5'7', 151lbs and UK size 10/12 US size 8/10. hope that helps. :)

US sizes are minus 4 on UK

In theory, this is true, but it doesn't always work out that way in real life. I have family and friends in the UK. I visit (and shop) there regularly. I'm a US size 12 or 14 depending on the maker. I should be a UK size 16 or 18, but I actually fit into a size 14 or 16 in most shops. Am I a true UK size 14 or is it just irregular/vanity sizing? I have no idea. Part of it could have to do with body shape and composition, but I also blame the overall lack of standardized sizing.
  • cbrimer87
    cbrimer87 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'0", 154 lbs, and I wear a US size 6-10 (it completely depends on the cut of the dress) I have a very large chest in relation to the rest of my body (DD) which is where most of my weight stays.
  • spilledmilk
    spilledmilk Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I'm 210, 5'7" and a pear shape. I wear 16/18 on bottom and 14/16 on top.
  • spilledmilk
    spilledmilk Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies! This is something that I struggled with during my entire childhood and adolescence, but now that I'm older and wiser I've absolutely accepted that this is who I am and want to share that with others!

I wish that every young girl could understand that we're all built differently and not every one of us is going to be a size 6 and weigh 100 pounds.

Here where I am:
    5'9"
    size 14-16
    216 pounds
    35% body fat

Goal weight: 175

I know that I don't look like I weigh over 200 pounds and that's part of the power in this. People look at me like I'm crazy when I say I want to lose 40 pounds. I wear a size 11 shoe, size 10 ring, bra size 38C, have huge calves, and I'm 'big boned' as I've heard my ENTIRE life. Come to find out, it's pretty true!

I lost a bunch of weight in high school and was skinnier than I ever needed to be and was still an 11/12 and weighed 155 pounds. I struggled with those numbers for years because it had been drilled into my head for all my years that that was unacceptable and I was fat. Not true at all!

We're all built so differently and the number on the scale shouldn't mean anything. It's all about how you feel and we're all friggin' beautiful!!!

That's the end of my soap box. =)

OMG I feel you. I have a size 9 ring and 11 shoe too. I was about 140 in high school but still wearing a size 13/15 and thinking I was super fat because of it... glad I'm not alone in the "big boned" category :)
  • Clarewho
    Clarewho Posts: 494 Member
    Options

In theory, this is true, but it doesn't always work out that way in real life. I have family and friends in the UK. I visit (and shop) there regularly. I'm a US size 12 or 14 depending on the maker. I should be a UK size 16 or 18, but I actually fit into a size 14 or 16 in most shops. Am I a true UK size 14 or is it just irregular/vanity sizing? I have no idea. Part of it could have to do with body shape and composition, but I also blame the overall lack of standardized sizing.

Definitely vanity sizing. The sizes in UK are pretty much all over the place, there is a HUGE disparity between different shops and I'm pretty sure some sizes are set to flatter people into buying
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    5'5", 149, size 8/M
  • MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Sizes mean NOTHING anymore. NOTHING. Size inflation is completely out of control.

US sizes:
    I wear 4s and some 2s at 135lbs 5'6" IF THEY ARE NEW. I am still quite chubby. 20 years ago, those would have been 10s and 12s. I can't come close to squeezing into my size 6 pants from even 12 years ago.

Tops, I always wore medium when I was much thinner because of "the girls." Now I'm usually in a small, and I'm chubby.

It's pretty silly.
  • fannyfrost
    fannyfrost Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I am 5'2" weigh 172 and wear between a 12 or 14 depending on the cut.

My daughter is 5'4" weighs 120 and wears a size 4 or 6.

Size isn't just about how much you weigh, it is about how your body is proportioned. Also many of the variations we are all seeing are dependent on the brand clothing you buy, the cut, etc. Each store will have different sizing scales. I actually look at that a lot.
  • Tubbs216
    Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member
    Options
    Sizes mean NOTHING anymore. NOTHING. Size inflation is completely out of control.

US sizes:
    I wear 4s and some 2s at 135lbs 5'6" IF THEY ARE NEW. I am still quite chubby. 20 years ago, those would have been 10s and 12s. I can't come close to squeezing into my size 6 pants from even 12 years ago.

Tops, I always wore medium when I was much thinner because of "the girls." Now I'm usually in a small, and I'm chubby.

It's pretty silly.
    Agree 100%. I'm 5'5", hovering around 150, about size 10. Yesterday I tried on three pairs of pants in a consignment store. All size 10, all too small. Today tried on a pair of new shorts (10s) in a store and they hung off me. The lack of standardization is insane.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I don't think, the girls on mybodygallery are lying just probably saying the lowest size they are able to get into for anything.

Just went shopping for a cocktail dress and fluctuated between 3 sizes depending on the designer and style. So I peeked at my shirt label I wore into the store to see if I could get some continuity and it was a FOURTH size that was actually two sizes lower than anything I was trying on! So, yeah I don't think those girls are trying to lie but just hoping they are truly the smallest size they've gotten into and hoping that one is the right one.

• harlanJEN
    harlanJEN Posts: 1,089 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    5'4. 165. Size 8. Medium tops. Medium fitted yoga pants. I strength train. biggggg difference maker.

4 yrs ago: 236. Size 18. Xxl yoga pants & tops.
  • Pudding1980
    Pudding1980 Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options

harlanJEN wrote: »
    5'4. 165. Size 8. Medium tops. Medium fitted yoga pants. I strength train. biggggg difference maker.

4 yrs ago: 236. Size 18. Xxl yoga pants & tops.

I'm similar. 5'4", about 170, size 10/medium. I'm in Canada. And I lift heavy. It makes a huge difference.
  • dizzieblondeuk
    dizzieblondeuk Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Clarewho wrote: »

Definitely vanity sizing. The sizes in UK are pretty much all over the place, there is a HUGE disparity between different shops and I'm pretty sure some sizes are set to flatter people into buying
    Definitely agree with the appalling lack of standardisation in women's clothes - it's a global problem, it seems! The UK high street can run the gamut from M&S selling very generously cut clothes for the size labelled, to shops like Top Shop where a size 16 is so very not that!

Notice that you don't get men's thread on this subject. If they're a 15" collar, a 36 waist and 34" inseam, the clothes are there with these measurements on them. Why not for women? Then, we wouldn't wonder if we're going to fit into a size 16, or have to screw up our eyes in a clothes shop selling US or continental clothes, as well as British brands (like TK Maxx) in order to try and figure out what a 44 is, or whether the top saying size 12 is a US, Canadian or UK make! It's one of the things I wish the EU could take a stand on - then, at least in UK and EU, you could buy clothing with standard sizes. One of my biggest peeves ever!
  • hollie894
    hollie894 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3, weigh 156lbs and a UK size 10.