Running shoes - Need suggestions

Options
Hey there,

I'm looking into getting a new pair of running shoes, especially now that I have plans to run a couple of half-marathons in the upcoming months. Any suggestions? I'm a student living on my own so I'm also looking for something fairly affordable.

Thanks!

Sarah

Replies

• fukuyama
    fukuyama Posts: 43
    Options
    I absolutely LOVE Asics...
  • Yvanna
    Yvanna Posts: 4
    Options
    I love my Mizuno shoes, I had Asics before and they were quite good. What i suggest is to go to your local Running Room store or similar and have someone fit you properly for shoes -firm support/neutral etc....then when you find what is right for you you can check you the shoe Wharehouse or an outlet store as they often have the same or last years colours for a great price.
  • lunglady
    lunglady Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Asics , Saucony, or Mizuno. Personally, I love the Asics.
  • charliebird
    charliebird Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Asics for me. Sooo comfortable and light. Give me lots of support and they have lots of options.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I can only wear Nike Pegasus. I've tried A LOT of different shoes and these are the only ones I like. :)
  • drlynned
    drlynned Posts: 34
    Options
    I love my Mizuno shoes, I had Asics before and they were quite good. What i suggest is to go to your local Running Room store or similar and have someone fit you properly for shoes -firm support/neutral etc....then when you find what is right for you you can check you the shoe Wharehouse or an outlet store as they often have the same or last years colours for a great price.

Great idea! I'm just worried about going to get properly fit for shoes and then simply walking out w/o buying something. I'd feel so weird and obligated to the employee who just helped me out.... but heck, when we're tight on money, we gotta do what we gotta do. :happy:
  • Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    Do you have a running store in your town? We have one that does free gait analysis and will find the perfect shoe for your foot! I personally own a pair of Brooks and LOVE them! But for a good pair of running shoes, be prepared to spend around $100.
  • lifeskittles
    lifeskittles Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I have nike frees and I love them...They are super lightweight and my toes have plenty of room to stretch out, sort of like barefoot running. I run 3 miles every day and they really do strengthen my feet. I now have a lot better balance and everytime I run I find it a bit easier. But I will also only wear lightweight shoes because I have bigger feet and I hate the weight! I believe they are only 7 oz
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options

Great idea! I'm just worried about going to get properly fit for shoes and then simply walking out w/o buying something. I'd feel so weird and obligated to the employee who just helped me out.... but heck, when we're tight on money, we gotta do what we gotta do. :happy:

There's an advantage to buying from the specialized running store: If you discover after several miles of use, that the shoe is not working out for you, if it's one of the better shops, they will happily take the shoe back and work with you to find the best shoe for you.

Having the perfect pair of running shoes is priceless.
  • Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options

There's an advantage to buying from the specialized running store: If you discover after several miles of use, that the shoe is not working out for you, if it's one of the better shops, they will happily take the shoe back and work with you to find the best shoe for you.

Having the perfect pair of running shoes is priceless.

Had this happen myself. I actually had to go back 3 times to a particular running shop because at first the shoes weren't working for me, and then I needed the inserts re-cut as well. If you go to a reputable running store then they'll usually go out of their way to help you because they actually care about their customers.
  • runlorirun
    runlorirun Posts: 389
    Options
    A specialized running shoe store would be your best bet. My husband runs marathons and you do NOT want to skimp on the shoe. However since he knows what works now he buys from Zappos. The shoes are usually cheaper. His last pair though cost $190.00 (on sale), however they are his most comfortable pair and he saves them just for races.

Also you will want to keep track of how many miles are on your shoes, you can either do it with a spreadsheet or Map my run will track it for you. With long distance running your shoes will break down within 500 miles of running. My husband will rotate shoes depending on how far his run it that day. Shorter runs he will wear his older (600 to 700 mile) shoes, the longer the run the newer the shoe (does that make any sense?).
  • healthyjen342
    healthyjen342 Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    bump..I need to read this later...
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,427 Member
    Options
    Do you have a running store in your town? We have one that does free gait analysis and will find the perfect shoe for your foot! I personally own a pair of Brooks and LOVE them! But for a good pair of running shoes, be prepared to spend around $100.

This. I love Asics, they work best for my feet and knees but go get fitted!
  • jmijaressf
    jmijaressf Posts: 215
    Options
    I run in Vibram Five Fingers now, but my favorite shoe from years past were the Mizunos. The uppers were soft and pillowy.

One thing I would recommend is to make sure that you have a lot of room for your toes. The impact of running will make your toes splay and spread out, which is natural for running impact, so you want to make sure that the shoe's toebox is nice and roomy. Cramped toes are unhappy toes when it comes to running.

I'd also recommend investing in a good pair of moisture-wicking socks to go with the shoes.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I run in Vibram Five Fingers now, but my favorite shoe from years past were the Mizunos. The uppers were soft and pillowy.

One thing I would recommend is to make sure that you have a lot of room for your toes. The impact of running will make your toes splay and spread out, which is natural for running impact, so you want to make sure that the shoe's toebox is nice and roomy. Cramped toes are unhappy toes when it comes to running.

I'd also recommend investing in a good pair of moisture-wicking socks to go with the shoes.

I bought a pair of socks that have cushion on the heel and ball of my foot. And they keep my feet dry. Can't think of the name right now, but they are awesome! I'll NEVER, EVER wear regular socks again.
  • kimberlyAjohnson
    kimberlyAjohnson Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Nothing is more comfortable for me than a pair of Brooks. :)
    Going to a running store is definitely the way to go. They'll help you find the best shoe for you. You can try them on, find what you like, and then go online to find an older version of the same shoe for half the price.
  • sarahbeexoxo
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone! I really took all of your responses into account. I'm going to check out my local Running Room store today to get fitted!
  • sarahbeexoxo
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone! I really took all of your responses into account. I'm going to check out my local Running Room store today to get fitted!