Keeping my mental illness at bay

Options
RivalZero
RivalZero Posts: 14 Member
edited July 2015 in Introduce Yourself
Hi everyone! :smile:

(Warning: long post ahead!)

I've been using the MFP app for about a month now and figured it was time to join this message board for some extra support as well as to offer my advice and encouragement wherever I can. I thought it would be good to start by sharing a little about myself so here is my story.

I can't remember a time when anxiety wasn't a part of me. I always worried about anything and everything. Intrusive thoughts were an everyday occurrence and that dreaded feeling of impending doom was lingering in my head 24/7. This led to me feeling like I was very different from everybody else and as a result I became very distant and isolated. I felt alone, like a stranger on this planet. I started drowning in rumination and became very depressed which eventually led me to consult my family doctor who referred me to a psychiatrist. At 21 years old I was diagnosed with Generalized Anxiety Disorder as well as Persistent Depressive Disorder (also known as Dysthymia). Mental illness runs in my family so I guess I was genetically predisposed to it. I was put on antidepressants and started doing a lot of therapy. Things gradually got better; I wasn't free of anxiety and still struggled with episodes of depression but at least I was functional and not paralyzed with fear and despair every waking hour.

I was going through the motions of life, but through all of this, I was pretty much inactive and had very poor eating habits. As my appetite was greatly affected by my mood, my weight fluctuated between 145lbs and 240lbs back and forth (I'm 6'2"). I was weak all the time and my sleeping was all over the place. Despite that I was managing to live a somewhat normal life, going to school and working, trying really hard not to get carried away with negative thoughts and feelings. Unfortunately my world came crashing down about three years ago. My father, who struggled with major depression for most of his life, had a really bad relapse which culminated in him committing suicide. For me, that was the start of a long crawl down the black hole of depression and despair. I myself became suicidal and felt completely hopeless about overcoming this torment.

I finally reached my breaking point about four months ago. I did not want to live anymore, I was ready to put an end to it all. However, I couldn't stop thinking about how I would be putting my family through the same hell my dad put us through. Fortunately, instead of acting on my thoughts I decided to reach out to loved ones for help which landed me in the hospital for six weeks. Six weeks of intensive therapy, group and individual, workshops, and connecting with other people with similar issues. This was the start of a complete turnaround in my life. I learned a lot of valuable coping skills, social interaction skills, and how to identify and challenge my negative thoughts. Most importantly, I learned that actions precede feelings; if I wanted to enjoy life I had to be willing to explore things outside of my comfort zone. Avoidance had been my main comfort for most of my life and I had to challenge that if I was to build a balanced life for myself. And that is EXACTLY what I did!

About two months ago, I went to my sister's boyfriend first Muay Thai fight (Thai boxing). I knew nothing about the sport but was VERY inspired and impressed by what I saw that night. Talking to him after the fight, he saw right away that I was really interested in learning more about it. He suggested that I try it out at the gym where he trains as they have a free trial for a week. It took me about two weeks to summon the courage but I finally went, paired up with my sister's boyfriend and INSTANTLY fell in love with the sport. It was a tough workout, and I did what I could given my poor level of fitness, but I left the gym that morning feeling like a million dollars! I felt like I had just conquered the world! I was extremely sore and tired for the next few days, but I couldn't wait to go to my second class! My sister's boyfriend surprised me on my birthday with my very own pair of Muay Thai gloves and I felt like a kid on Christmas morning! I went to a second class, signed up for a membership and the rest is history.

Discovering the art of Muay Thai was the start of a new lifestyle for me. Food became more than just something I went to for comfort. Food is fuel. If I want to perform well, I have to put the right fuel in my body. With that in mind, I have adopted a very healthy and balanced diet with the help of MFP and a lot of research. It's amazing the impact food can have on your mind and body! I've now been doing Muay Thai for about a month and a half, three times a week, and I go on short runs every other day. I've also registered to run my first 5k in September and I'm really looking forward to it! Some of my goals are: to lose about 40lbs and to put on a bit of muscle, improve my cardio, and to improve my overall health, physical and mental.

My perspective on life has completely changed. I feel like I have been given a chance to start over and do things differently. I've never felt so alive and motivated in my whole life and it's the best feeling in the world! I guess it is true that sometimes you have to hit rock bottom before you can truly get back up. The structure of Muay Thai has given me focus, discipline and determination to make these changes permanent. I feel stronger, happier and more fulfilled than ever. Nothing can stop me now! This new lifestyle is my most valuable tool in keeping my mental illness at bay.

I am excited to be a part of this community. We're all in this together! :smiley:

Thank you for reading,

Eric

EDIT: spelling

Replies

• mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    act your way into right thinking :wink:

welcome
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    Kudos for finding "the thing" that helps you. I have OCD and have had my turn with despair. I have found exercise to be my primary coping skill-specifically running, kickboxing, weights/kettlebells. Unfortunately I haven't been able to do this for the past 2 months because of some weird medical thing going on with my legs, and it's definetely impacting my mental health. Keep with it and keep up the good work! I'd love to take some structured martial arts classes, but they are so damn expensive!
  • RivalZero
    Options
    moyer566 wrote: »
    act your way into right thinking :wink:

welcome

That's a good one! I think it will be my new motto :)

Thank you

• RivalZero
    Options
    htimpaired wrote: »
    Kudos for finding "the thing" that helps you. I have OCD and have had my turn with despair. I have found exercise to be my primary coping skill-specifically running, kickboxing, weights/kettlebells. Unfortunately I haven't been able to do this for the past 2 months because of some weird medical thing going on with my legs, and it's definetely impacting my mental health. Keep with it and keep up the good work! I'd love to take some structured martial arts classes, but they are so damn expensive!

I was always a bit skeptical of the benefits of exercise on my mental health but I have to say that it has been playing a huge role in my recovery, among other things.

I hope you get things sorted out with your leg. Best of luck to you :smile:
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    Your honesty and courage will carry you far.

Welcome!
  • RivalZero
    Options
    Your honesty and courage will carry you far.

Welcome!

Thank you for the kind words :smile:

• MermaidBex
    MermaidBex Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Hi and welcome to the forum. I found out I was Bipolar in 08 at the age of 25. After the loss of my grandparents 2 years prior, I was having severe health problems. Finally, my Dr looked at me and said he couldn't help me any more and suggested I look up a Psychiatrist. That was my first experience with pdocs, though I've seen tdocs for years! Since Lower El actually.

Then, between July 30, 2009 and May 2014, I went through my own hell. Though I need not go into the details, existing problems worsened 100 fold and new problems arose, such as PTSD (including, but not limited to, Night Terrors), Taurettes and Severe Anxiety. Panic Attacks became almost common place. A severe attack meant hyper AND hypo-ventilating. I was alone often and all I could do was wait for it to end. It scared me to no end. Since getting my dog (Service Dog In Training) almost 2 years ago, severe attacks have become extinct (though it's still possible to have an attack, my dog is right in my face when it happens) and Night Terrors are extremely rare.

The point of my essay :P is that you're not alone. I also learned of my illness as a young adult and have to watch my stress levels. Exercising induces happy hormones, as does art, it seems. I'm glad you've found what works for you in your recovery! Wishing you the best. Welcome to the team. ;)
  • RivalZero
    Options
    MermaidBex wrote: »
    Hi and welcome to the forum. I found out I was Bipolar in 08 at the age of 25. After the loss of my grandparents 2 years prior, I was having severe health problems. Finally, my Dr looked at me and said he couldn't help me any more and suggested I look up a Psychiatrist. That was my first experience with pdocs, though I've seen tdocs for years! Since Lower El actually.

Then, between July 30, 2009 and May 2014, I went through my own hell. Though I need not go into the details, existing problems worsened 100 fold and new problems arose, such as PTSD (including, but not limited to, Night Terrors), Taurettes and Severe Anxiety. Panic Attacks became almost common place. A severe attack meant hyper AND hypo-ventilating. I was alone often and all I could do was wait for it to end. It scared me to no end. Since getting my dog (Service Dog In Training) almost 2 years ago, severe attacks have become extinct (though it's still possible to have an attack, my dog is right in my face when it happens) and Night Terrors are extremely rare.

The point of my essay :P is that you're not alone. I also learned of my illness as a young adult and have to watch my stress levels. Exercising induces happy hormones, as does art, it seems. I'm glad you've found what works for you in your recovery! Wishing you the best. Welcome to the team. ;)

Thank you de the warm welcome :smile:

I'm glad to hear that you have been doing better! Dogs really do have the ability to comfort you and calm you down. Although I myself don't have a dog, I have experienced it first hand with other people's dogs. It's amazing how they can bring your mood from the absolute worse to at least bearable and more!

And you're absolutely right about art! Many times I've found myself most at peace at the National Art Gallery here in Ottawa. For me it's especially paintings of landscapes, they somehow instil a sense of serenity in me.

It's good to be a part of this wonderful community at last :smiley:
  • PinkDeerBoy
    PinkDeerBoy Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I am so glad to hear you are getting better. I live with anxiety and bipolar disorder myself, so I can understand the struggle. I had a lot of anxieties when it came to working out, going to the gum, and such, but now that I broke out of my shell and am doing it I feel 10x better. Both because I am getting healthier, and I am working to do something I would normally be too scared to do and finding out it isn't all that bad.
  • farfromthetree
    farfromthetree Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    As I was reading your post I was thinking, please let this end with him finding "fitness". I believe finding a love for something fitness related is key to keeping anxiety and depression at bay. It may not be enough for everyone but I see it as extremely important. Focus all that energy into your Muay Thai, get that heart rate up and let those endorphins kick in!!

On a much smaller scale, I would get the winter blues. I found CrossFit and kept it up throught the winter and found it was not nearly as bad this winter.

So many are afraid to share their struggles with things like anxiety and depression. You never know how many people you help by sharing your story. Keep up the good work, your family needs you~
  • RivalZero
    Options
    I am so glad to hear you are getting better. I live with anxiety and bipolar disorder myself, so I can understand the struggle. I had a lot of anxieties when it came to working out, going to the gum, and such, but now that I broke out of my shell and am doing it I feel 10x better. Both because I am getting healthier, and I am working to do something I would normally be too scared to do and finding out it isn't all that bad.

I came to realize that the anticipation of doing something is always worse than the actual "doing". Have you heard of a book called "Feel the fear and do it anyway"? I haven't actually read the book, but the title really stuck with me. I try really hard to live by that every single day because like you said, it's never as bad as we anticipate. That's been a key factor in my recovery. Making an effort to expand your comfort zone and realizing that "it's not that bad" can really work wonders!

Glad you are coming to this realization as well :smile:

All the best!
  • RivalZero
    Options
    As I was reading your post I was thinking, please let this end with him finding "fitness". I believe finding a love for something fitness related is key to keeping anxiety and depression at bay. It may not be enough for everyone but I see it as extremely important. Focus all that energy into your Muay Thai, get that heart rate up and let those endorphins kick in!!

On a much smaller scale, I would get the winter blues. I found CrossFit and kept it up throught the winter and found it was not nearly as bad this winter.

So many are afraid to share their struggles with things like anxiety and depression. You never know how many people you help by sharing your story. Keep up the good work, your family needs you~

Thank you :smile:

Like you said, it might not be enough for everyone but it certainly is a big part of the equation to overcome mental disorders. I believe it's all about having a balanced life, and health and fitness is a big part of that. We are meant to be active beings and all this sitting/inactivity is certainly doing us no good.

I'm glad you found something to help you get through the winter. Those cold grey months certainly make me more prone to relapses so it important to really establish this new lifestyle and prepare for it.

Lastly, i used to keep everything bottled up inside because of shame and fear of judgement. There is still a lot of stigma around mental illness and so it sometimes makes it difficult to openly talk about these struggles. Group therapy has taught me that opening up about my issues is not only very therapeutic for myself, but can also make a big difference in other sufferers' lives too. If I can help even just one person feel understood and validated in the way that they feel, it will mean the world to me. I'm simply trying to pay it forward.

Best of luck in your endeavours :smiley:
  • BasicGreatGuy
    BasicGreatGuy Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    Welcome, Eric

Congrats on finding that route to better mental and physical living. I can't relate to a lot of what you shared but, I revel in your courage and honesty in bearing your heart and soul on MFP, in hopes of making new friends and helping / inspiring others. I wish you the very best.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    Having something challenging and interesting to focus on can be a big help. When I'm busy I don't have time to get all crazy lol. Let's just say I understand. ;)
  • FatPixiee
    FatPixiee Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Hey, thanks for sharing all that! I have had a similar experience and am trying to find the "normal" way to live. I learned a lot when I went to a hospital a little under a year ago. They put me on different meds too. Are you on meds now? That helped me a lot, but also being taken off the bad meds was helpful. I want to live the med free life so bad with just proper eating and exercise. I don't know if that is attainable though. But I do know feeling better about this aspect of my life really helps my anxiety and my ruminations have been getting easier to control. (Though I also have the group therapy for that. CBT.) That's cool that you found something you want to do. Just walking around a track can get so boring.
  • RivalZero
    Options
    Welcome, Eric

Congrats on finding that route to better mental and physical living. I can't relate to a lot of what you shared but, I revel in your courage and honesty in bearing your heart and soul on MFP, in hopes of making new friends and helping / inspiring others. I wish you the very best.

Thank you for the kind words :smile:

All the best to you as well!
  • RivalZero
    Options
    gothchiq wrote: »
    Having something challenging and interesting to focus on can be a big help. When I'm busy I don't have time to get all crazy lol. Let's just say I understand. ;)

I feel you on that one lol! My worst enemy is sitting around doing nothing. Too much time to think is definitely not good for me. High five to staying busy! :wink:
  • alyssawang1
    alyssawang1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I also struggle with OCD and anxiety and I find myself isolating a lot. Thank you for your post. It is nice to know I'm not alone.
  • RivalZero
    Options
    FatPixiee wrote: »
    Hey, thanks for sharing all that! I have had a similar experience and am trying to find the "normal" way to live. I learned a lot when I went to a hospital a little under a year ago. They put me on different meds too. Are you on meds now? That helped me a lot, but also being taken off the bad meds was helpful. I want to live the med free life so bad with just proper eating and exercise. I don't know if that is attainable though. But I do know feeling better about this aspect of my life really helps my anxiety and my ruminations have been getting easier to control. (Though I also have the group therapy for that. CBT.) That's cool that you found something you want to do. Just walking around a track can get so boring.

I've been on a number of different medications over the past few years before finally finding one that works well for me. I used to struggle with the idea of having to take meds just to feel "stable" but I've come to accept is as an essential part of my recovery along with therapy, diet and exercise. Who knows, maybe someday I'll be able to go without it, but for now it gives me the stability and mental clarity to work on making the lifestyle changes that I need.

Sounds like you are doing a lot of good things for yourself as well :smile:

Best of luck to you!
  • RivalZero
    Options
    I also struggle with OCD and anxiety and I find myself isolating a lot. Thank you for your post. It is nice to know I'm not alone.

You're very welcome. I'm glad you found some comfort in reading my post :smile:

Please don't hesitate to message me if you want to talk further about this.

Best of luck to you!