Just curious given # of water weight TOM and weight loss plateau threads how many MFPers use

Options
PAV8888
PAV8888 Posts: 13,939 Member
Just curious given the # of water weight TOM and weight loss plateau threads how many MFPers use a spreadsheet, or a site such as www.weightgrapher.com, or www.trendweight.com, or an app such as happy scale for the iphone to track their weight and help them concentrate on their overall weight trend while ignoring daily water weight variations.

I use both www.weightgrapher.com and www.trendweight.com through their fitbit integration which passes my weight-ins over to them auto-magically.

How about everyone else?

Replies

• Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    I use the Libra app on Android.
  • PAV8888
    Options
    Ninkyou wrote: »
    Does it also show a trendline, or just record your weight?
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Ninkyou wrote: »
    Does it also show a trendline, or just record your weight?
    It shows both. Also at the bottom of the app it will tell you what your trend weight is. Plus other statistics like how much you've lost over a week, over 15 days, a month, 3 months, 6 months, a year etc. It's pretty neat.
    2ub6l7d5j5kb.png

• daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    I have a spreadsheet I started using before MFP. I can graph any variable in there and see how it compares to weight loss. I am post menopausal, and I have never plateaued. I have seen weight increases with excess salt consumption. Variables aside I have consistently lost 1% of my body weight per week.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I use a spreadsheet.
  • PAV8888
    Options
    Neat, and thanks!

I will have to add it to my list, especially since I was un-happy pushing happy scale for the iphone and offering no android options!

Now where are @rabbitjb and @ncboiler89?
  • PAV8888
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    I use a spreadsheet.
    Just to record, or do you also calculate the trendline? Anything special to set it up?

• allyphoe
    allyphoe Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I use Hacker's Diet, supplemented with my own spreadsheet. It calculates TDEE from trend weight loss, correlation between calories consumed and fluctuation, and some other stuff.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    I've started a spreadsheet and will add a graph after I get four weeks of data. I have columns for date, weight, and weight lost.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    jemhh wrote: »
    I use a spreadsheet.
    Just to record, or do you also calculate the trendline? Anything special to set it up?

I am more of a numbers person than a graph person. It has a graph but I don't pay much attention to it. Instead, I have columns like am rolling 7 day average weight, weight compared to 14 days ago, average loss per week, projected loss based on calorie deficit, etc. I also do regular body measurements and calculate body fat according to 4 or 5 different formulas and log the bf number from my scale.
  • onthemesa
    onthemesa Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I use a piece of graph paper stuck inside my closet door... looks like the worlds scariest rollercoaster.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I do not use anything but MFP. I weigh once a week and record it. I'm fine with that amount of information.
    I know my pattern of water retention due to my period without recording every day's weight.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    I don't use an app etc to track trends. I find mfp graph and weighing myself once a week is enough.

I look at my weight over a month, a quarter. If I want to be more specific I just chuck 12 weeks of weight into excel and look at the average weekly weight loss.

Weight loss is a long term thing so getting concerned or worked up over daily or even weekly issues seems silly.

Like this week I weighed my self and lost 0.1 kg instead of .8-1.1 kg like I might expect.

Bare minimum I'm going to weight till next week before I even think about it. Next week I might lose 2kg and the average will be 1kg for the two weeks.

I think the water weight/Tom posts have to do with people's expectations of instant results plus thinking they are a robot.

Thinking along the lines of 10000 fuel in less 17000 energy out should equal 2 pounds. I lost 1.9? Something must be wrong.
  • PAV8888
    edited July 2015
    Options
    onthemesa wrote: »
    I use a piece of graph paper stuck inside my closet door... looks like the worlds scariest rollercoaster.

Ah! I realize that a lot of us track the daily numbers, but if your graph goes up and down are you basing it on daily data as opposed to using a trendline smoothing algorithm? Are the trendlines basically 7 or 10 day rolling averages, does anyone know?

Basically I am talking about something that REPLACES the roller-coaster with something like this (which I was using in another thread to show three "no loss" multi-day periods including weight gains in a month with >5lbs loss... and with no TOM to contend with either!)

h5f74bluxw08.jpg
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    This thread just prompted me to buy Happy Scale for the iPhone. :)

Looking forward to lots of lovely data!
  • momar23
    momar23 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily and I use happy scale to watch for trends. It gives me a more accurate picture than doing it every Friday since if I had a specific day there would be times where I would have no loss or be up but then the next day it's gone.
  • PAV8888
    Options
    allyphoe wrote: »
    I use Hacker's Diet, supplemented with my own spreadsheet. It calculates TDEE from trend weight loss, correlation between calories consumed and fluctuation, and some other stuff.

For spreadsheet minded individuals on PC's with Excel installed, @EvgeniZyntx has an excellent tool. A bit light on instructions and hand-holding; but, it does give you some very interesting insights based on your MFP data.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/EvgeniZyntx/view/mfp-data-export-tool-the-overview-659927
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    I use libra too.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Since most of the people who ask about weight at period time are newbies, it. Is unlikely that they're tracking trends yet. Not hey have no trend yet! :)

I have a thing that tracks all kinds of stuff, including my weight.

Many of the bigger teaching hospitals now have this sort of stuff in your patient account, too. And they can track every single thing that is health-related. It's really nice to see if you're improving. Kinda sucks if you're not. Just FYI I'd anyone is interested. :)
  • runningforthetrain
    runningforthetrain Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    The trending ap would be beneficial for those of us who are having non- regular TOM. When I am regular the gain is between 2 to 3 pounds. But, lately don't know when it is happening-- husband doesn't either:)