I have a HUGE appetite. Any tips?

Options
Does anyone have advice on controlling appetite? What are some ways you control your appetite?

I love food too much! I am from the Mediterranean so I can and do eat healthy food like lean meats with lots of vegetables and some brown rice etc BUT I can't control my portions. I eat more than I should. I do not eat junk food much. Maybe once every week or every other week. My only problem is my love for food. I love all types and when I eat...I eat a lot like two plates usually.

Replies

• Gary1977
    Gary1977 Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    I've been there. Diets never work! You must look at this as a lifestyle change. It will be hard at first, but with time you'll get used to it. I suggest eating smaller portion more frequently at first. Also drank at least 8oz of water about 20 minutes before eating. Your body will soon become accustomed to the smaller portion sizes. Good luck and I know that if you try hard, you'll suceed. :flowerforyou:
  • joanneeee
    joanneeee Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    work out more = eat more
  • mewannashrinkalil
    Options
    It's too much thinking and planning though. Sometimes you don't have time or access for all that water and you just start eating but now that I am going to be more organized and plan what I eat hopefully my subconscious will listen to me this time.
  • omgitsgene
    omgitsgene Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Take advantage of the fact that you like veggies and load up on those. Veggies are a good source of mass with very little to no calories. Have a salad alongside a cooked veggie with a meal. Eat fruits as snacks and snack on fruits or veggies as often as you feel hungry. Focus on foods high in fiber to make your body stop wanting to eat. Trust me. I'm a behemoth and love eating and this has helped me a lot.
  • NewDawn31
    NewDawn31 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I like things that you can have many bites of, so you feel as if you have eaten a lot. I really enjoy roasted shrimp cocktail with cocktail sauce ( only 100 calories for 4 oz of shrimp. -more bites=smaller shrimp, but same calories.) also, edamame is great for making you feel as if you have eaten a lot, while keeping your calorie intake low. Also, I make a tilapia salad (like tuna salad), That gives you a lot for a little. I take 2 frozen tilapia fillets, thaw them, season with whatever strikes my fancy (salt and pepper is a great place to start) and bake them at 350 til done (8-12 minutes). Put the tilapia in the refrigerator until it's cold. I then, flake the tilapia into a bowl, add 2T. of fat free mayo, fresh herbs of some kind(cilantro, basil, green onions can be used as well etc.), a bit of dill relish, a chopped clove of garilc(finely chopped), and occasionally a bit of finely chopped red onion. Of course, this recipe can be adapted many ways- but all in all it usually averages out to under 250 calories, and it is a HUGE portion. I like to eat it with Special K Savory Herb Crackers. Only 90 calories for 17 crackers! You CAN eat a lot for few calories!
  • sandrapops
    sandrapops Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Wow, that sounds really yummy! I tend to overeat as well, so am constantly on the lookout for yummy, light meals. This fits the bill! Thanks!
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    Sounds just like how I used to eat. I could go for seconds, thirds, fourths even, until I was beyond full, and felt like I needed a wheelchair to move around afterwards. When I decided to make a change, I switched to eating 6 times a day. At first the meals didn't fully satiate me, but I knew there was another meal coming up in 2 or 3 hours, so I managed. But soon thereafter, I had my routine dialed in so that the meals were due just as I was getting hungry again, and they filled me up just right.
  • velvetkat
    velvetkat Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    The water is s super idea to do before eating. Also eat a salad before eating anything else. Make sure the salad is a green leafy salad. Use green/red leaf lettuce or romaine, escarole or endive. Dont use head lettuce. Add ins like cucumbers, tomatoes, onions and carrots are great to add too. Limit your cheese, croutons and any other high fat add ons to very very little. Use a low fat dressing. On your proteins keep you portion control in check. If you have to start out with 6oz of meat/chicken/pork etc and cut it down each week until you are eating 3 oz. If you like to eat soup you could make homemade vegetable soup with NO or very little salt. Do not use the canned soups as they are high in sodium. I make a soup that is 50 cal and 100gms of sodium and when I started on my weight loss journey I would eat a cup or bowl with each meal. Between that the salad and the water you wont have much room in your stomach for the high fat items like baked potatoes, french fries meats and anything else that might be full of fat and calories.
    IF you want to make this life style change you have to make some sacrifices. Use your daily journal to plan you meals ahead of time and then stick to it.

4925355.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • mewannashrinkalil
    Options
    Thank you for the tips! I have forgotten that once you start eating well you get on a roll. It's the holidays and barbecues that put me off track but soon I will get back on track of eating healthier!
  • kirstyfromscotland
    kirstyfromscotland Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    i started using a smaller plate, not as small as a tea plate but smaller than a dinner plate, i find i control my portions a lot better, portion control was my biggest problem as i will always eat everything on my plate! least if u have 2nds its still not as much as a normal plate. hope that helps.x
  • X_claire_X
    X_claire_X Posts: 4
    Options
    The water is s super idea to do before eating. Also eat a salad before eating anything else. Make sure the salad is a green leafy salad. Use green/red leaf lettuce or romaine, escarole or endive. Dont use head lettuce. Add ins like cucumbers, tomatoes, onions and carrots are great to add too. Limit your cheese, croutons and any other high fat add ons to very very little. Use a low fat dressing. On your proteins keep you portion control in check. If you have to start out with 6oz of meat/chicken/pork etc and cut it down each week until you are eating 3 oz. If you like to eat soup you could make homemade vegetable soup with NO or very little salt. Do not use the canned soups as they are high in sodium. I make a soup that is 50 cal and 100gms of sodium and when I started on my weight loss journey I would eat a cup or bowl with each meal. Between that the salad and the water you wont have much room in your stomach for the high fat items like baked potatoes, french fries meats and anything else that might be full of fat and calories.
    IF you want to make this life style change you have to make some sacrifices. Use your daily journal to plan you meals ahead of time and then stick to it.

4925355.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

do you have a recipe for this soup please.
  • rodofgod
    rodofgod Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I was in exactly the same position as you. Many a time I'd have seconds and thirds then finish what the wife and son sometimes left. :embarassed:

The wife started giving me a smaller plate to start with, and I made sure I slowed my eating down, and consciously chewed every mouthful of food at least 6 times. Beforehand I'd chew each mouthful twice at most and shovel another load in straight away. I also made sure I put my fork down for a few minutes mid meal and drank some water. It was hard at first but it has helped bring my eating under control.

In between meals I make sure I drink water constantly. At least every 15 minutes whilst at work I'll take a sip of water that I keep with me. I also use sugar free chewing gum whenever I start to feel hungry and make sure I have a mid afternoon snack consisting of a banana and an orange between lunch and dinner. This has helped lots, as in the past I'd have my lunch at 12:30 and if I worked overtime I'd get home around 7:15 and devour about 7 or 8 slices of bread with my dinner just to satisfy my raging hunger, but without even realising it this has now stopped. I also find eating plenty of wholegrain pasta and rice helps stave off hunger. Pagan Wholgrain Krisprolls are an invaluable breakfast along with a low fat yoghurt when I'm at work.

It's soooooo hard bringing your appetite under control, but before you know it you'll have it sussed and won't even have realised it. Don't forget neither that a lot of the time you think you're hungry when in fact it's thirst that you're feeling. Good luck!! :wink:
  • Sarah_uk
    Sarah_uk Posts: 209
    Options
    A smaller plate or bowl can help. And small spoons/forks help aswell.

I think you will get used to it after a while to be honest.
  • zeeeb
    zeeeb Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    i had to control my portions seriously!!! i love food, and i love healthy food, as well as junk, so for me, it was all about portion control. i find that i weigh my evening meal to 400 grams, so it's not more than that. my evening meal is the one where i really over do it. so i weigh it, to control the portion size.

and also for lunch i cut it down to one roll with whatever toppings i feel like, never go back for seconds and always get rid of scraps and left overs as soon as the meal is over so you don't pick.