Your NEAT Tips (Non-exercise activity thermogenesis & ways to increase your activity)

Options
Orphia
Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
How do you manage to increase your daily activity levels without going to the gym or purposefully exercising?

Give us your tips!

I'll start:
  • Walk to and from work instead of going by car
  • Bring my lunch to work so I can get it eaten in less time, and spend the rest of my lunch hour walking/window-shopping
  • Put dishes away one at a time
  • Walk to the shops when I need to buy something rather than drive when I've got a long list
  • Stop whining to others to do the household chores and get off my butt and do them myself.

Replies

• tbensonmba
    tbensonmba Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Excellent
  • borninthemiddle
    borninthemiddle Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am finding sneaky ways to add up to a thousand steps to my totals daily. Getting up on every commercial break and walking for the duration. Making multiple trips to do things I could do in one ie. putting away laundry, etc. Walking throughout my house constantly any time I'm on the phone. Every step adds up!
  • cool_chick_47
    cool_chick_47 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Take the stairs when it's an option. Recently, I asked a hotel where their stairs where. Three employees had to find someone who knew. Worth the effort.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,637 Member
    Options
    I spent years perfecting how to accomplish the most with the least amount of movement.

I am now dedicating the same processing to figuring ways to accomplish it all with MORE movement!
  • Orphia
    Options
    Thanks all, very much!
  • x_blackrainbow
    x_blackrainbow Posts: 439 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I used to carry all the laundry at once when I needed to put it away. Now I carry one type of item (socks, for example) and put that away. Then I go back and repeat the process until all my laundry is put away.

At work I have to put ashtrays on each table prior to opening. I used to carry a stack of six to minimize trips, but now I put them out one at a time. I also volunteer to go downstairs when the bartender needs something from the walk-in so I can work toward my stairs goal.

I might start bringing in the grocery bags one at a time now that I think about it. I'm used to grabbing all the bags I can to do it in one trip, and I'm not doing anything for my step goal that way.
  • Orphia
    Options
    I used to carry all the laundry at once when I needed to put it away. Now I carry one type of item (socks, for example) and put that away. Then I go back and repeat the process until all my laundry is put away.

I'm going to do that right now! Thanks for the tip!
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Thank you for this thread. I get a lot of exercise/activity in daily, but my NEAT is pretty terrible. I want to change that!

Here are some things I've been incorporating:
    • Sometimes I will do squats while getting clothes in and out of the washer/dryer and while doing putting dishes away.
    • While cooking I will sometimes do calf raises.
    • I will park further in a parking lot and walk instead of trying to get the closest spot.
    • If my guy needs something on another floor (i.e. forget keys, a glass of water etc.) I would volunteer to get it. Well most of the time. :)
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,779 Member
    Options
    I keep sneaking weeding/gardening sessions in the evenings instead of waiting for the weekend to do them all. I think this burns more calories overall because I'm "fresher" and more energetic weeding a small patch rather than a large one at once, as well as whatever you get from afterburn.

For a while there my house was much cleaner than it had ever been (I'm not a slob by any means, but I don't take the time to wipe baseboards, etc as often as I could usually). I've backslid recently though. Now my house is just regular-person clean :(

And I won't watch TV without doing some movement, even if it's lazy curls with 2 or 5 lb weights.