Let's talk salads!

Options
124»

Replies

• richardositosanchez
    richardositosanchez Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I use lemon or lime juice spices like pepper, sea salt, paprika, cayenne pepper. Olive oil is fine too, or even salsa.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    vinegars so many flavors and pickled vegetables or capers also salt...MMMMMM salt
  • jetortola
    jetortola Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    whee1234 wrote: »
    Sometimes I'll dilute a small serving of a higher calorie dressing with water or milk- covers more veggies that way.

I do this! I've got a tasty creamy greek dressing from the cooler section of the grocery store - forget the brand, but it's delish --- buts it's 120 cals for 2 tbsp. so I add water, shake it up, and toss with my salad. Covers each morsel perfectly.

I sometimes add salsa to ranch for a calorie cut plus flavour boost!
  • Cocoa1020
    Cocoa1020 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    put your salad in a container that seals tight then add a small amount of your dressing and SHAKE :) or try adding peppers and spices to it to help with flavor
  • airangel59
    airangel59 Posts: 1,887 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I cannot deal with Walden Farms dressing, tried a few (as well as some of their other products, some are not bad, but dressing, shudder)

SO....I've gone with BOLTHOUSE, their Italian vinaigrette and their Raspberry Merlot (to me it does not taste fruity, but that's just my been dieting too long dead taste buds talking) 25-30 calories per 2T. And not all of them are yogurt based, don't believe the 2 I use are.

AND I use MAPLE GROVE, their sugar free vs their fat free (I also watch sodium on top of calories) , I like their balsamic best. Their Asian is 2T are 70 calories, sodium is 230

I also make Mason Jar salads and found KRAFT Asian toasted sesame Lite, 45 cal per 2T and higher in sodium (260) but need variety, lol.

Good luck finding something you enjoy (I'm just so not into making my own)
  • lwebsmfp
    lwebsmfp Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I like to have a little feta, dried cranberries, maple syrup and balsamic vinaigrette on my salads! I also love ginger and will sometimes have just the salad (no additional toppings) with Makota Ginger Dressing.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Trader Joe's Light Champagne Vinaigrette dressing. 50 calories for 2 Tbsp.
  • ItsCraash
    ItsCraash Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Okay! I have bought cardini's lite Greek vinaigrette. I packed a salad for my lunch tomorrow with tomatoes, black olives, feta, and a little hummus. I'm excited to have something a little different. Plain dark greens just wasn't cutting it. Thank you all for your suggestions! I plan to try my hand at making my own dressing this weekend! :)
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    ItsCraash wrote: »
    I will check the no calorie dressings! I just always assumed it they would taste like socks. Worth a try though. Thanks!

How did I not think to put feta in my salad?

Feta = good, goat's cheese = amazing IMHO
  • dogcatac
    dogcatac Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    i love vegetable based dressing. puree a juicy vegetable w/ lemon juice or vinegar, garlic, herbs and toss w/ you lettuce and whatever else. feels kind of weird to toss veggies w/ veggies but it's low calorie and tasty. one of my favorites is grilled green tomato, onion, yellow bell pepper, pureed w/ lemon juice, garlic, salt and pepper and just a sprinkle of sugar. (or any sugar substitute) you can add water to thin it out or oil to make it smooth.
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    kkenseth wrote: »
    I use olive oil. It's too plain for some people, but it gives me just enough.

Garlic or herb infused olive oil is even better. Things like lemon or lime juice work well. I like a good balsamic vinagerette or just a balsamic vinegar. Just drizzle is the key with anything higher in calories.
  • ireadlabelsdammit
    ireadlabelsdammit Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Lately, Cottage cheese in place of dressing. And, I like to add seeds (sunflower, chia, hemp, pumpkin). Sometimes no dressing, if adding a juicy tomato or ripe avocado.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    gmallan wrote: »
    ItsCraash wrote: »
    I will check the no calorie dressings! I just always assumed it they would taste like socks. Worth a try though. Thanks!

How did I not think to put feta in my salad?

Feta = good, goat's cheese = amazing IMHO

Yes. I recently switched over to goat cheese and won't be going back.