17 Day Diet - anyone tried/ trying it?

BastaConLaPasta
BastaConLaPasta Posts: 76
edited September 27 in Health and Weight Loss
I quite fancy giving it a go since it is more or less in line with how how I like to eat and I have found Dukan too restrictive (the pure protein days depress me, the sight of a hunk of flesh on a plate with no veg!!)

Any advice/ insider info? Any fancy joining me?

Replies

• bethtc
    bethtc Posts: 6
    What is it?
  • claeysm
    claeysm Posts: 85
    i heard of it but have no idea what it is?
  • Stuartm1
    Stuartm1 Posts: 101 Member
    I cannot see how this can be healthy. it's better to eat smaller portions of what you enjoy and excersise to lose weight at .5 /1.5 pounds a week. Lose quickly gain quickly
  • it's all relative. I lost all of my baby weight after baby Number 2 by doing the Carol Vorderman 28-day detox (lost a stone in 28 days). I twas quite restrictive in terms of allowed foods (although less restrictive re portion sizes) - anyway, I lost 14lb in 28 days and it stayed off until i got pregnant with Baby 3. I lost all of that baby weight quickly too by restricting carbs - and it's stayed off.

I can see how for some people restrictive diets & fast loss are followed by over-eating 'forbidden' foods and quick gain though.
  • stellanyc
    stellanyc Posts: 8
    I am on Day 12 of the 17 Day Diet and have lost 9 pounds. During the initial 17 days, you eat a super clean diet and are aiming for rapid weight loss, then during the next 17 days the foods available become less restrictive and you alternate strict / more relaxed days (which include some grains, and beef/pork, which you cannot have the first 17 day cycle).

I'm sure a portion of those first pounds I lost was water weight, but there is some definite bona fide slimming going on now. I decided to try the diet because it seemed like a basically sane way of eating healthy foods in healthy portions, and a key component of the program -- that you move for 17 minutes a day -- while a bit gimmicky, has gotten me off my butt. In fact, I went for a 2 hour walk/jog along the Hudson River yesterday, and went up to the Columbia track today and worked out there, and I feel energized. I am planning my meals the night before on MFP, which really helps. I feel like the diet plus this site is setting me up to make good, informed choices and stick to them until I reach my goal weight.

Does anyone else have observations or comments to share?
  • randisaucier
    randisaucier Posts: 178 Member
    I am on day 6 with no loss as of yet, however I am eating super clean and doing everything right so I know once my body gives in the weight will start to come off. The diet is only restrictive for the first 17 day cycle, each cycle after that allows more "healthy" carbs and fats. It is actually a very sensible way to eat. My hunger is almost gone and I am feeling great even if the number is not showing on the scale as of yet.
  • Heidi_M
    Heidi_M Posts: 17
    I started today :) Wish me luck
  • Well I'm at the end of Day 2 and I have to say I've eaten loads both days yet have stayed well under my 1200 calorie goal.

I'm not expecting any drastic weight loss since I have avoided carbs for around 6 months now (on a loose adaptation of Dukan) so my body won't benefit from the 'shock' of their absence. I also don't have much to lose, being 5'10" and around 133lb, but am just curious to see if this can nudge me down into the 120s and also if the maintenance phase might be beneficial to me. I have a nasty habit of getting to say, 131lb, and then kind of mentally relaxing until, ooops, there I am back at 133lb. I like the idea of maintenance on this diet being strict 5 days out of 7 and giving yourself license to eat, drink and be merry on weekends.

Anyway, we'll see! I've pretty much always eaten this clean so I don't feel that different, but nor do I feel hungry. And looking at my food diary and the sight of all the veggies I've eaten makes me feel pretty good about myself :-)
This discussion has been closed.