Slowing down target weight loss rate as approaching goal weight?

Options
As a new member i have been surfing the forums. I came across someone's advice to a man that went like this. "you only have 15 lbs to go so you should consider upping your calories and aiming for a .5 lb weight loss instead". Is it smarter for people to slow down their rate of weight loss if they only have a small amount to lose? why?

Replies

• PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,929 Member
    Options
    The lbs left to go stand as proxy for the amount of free fat that you have.

The less fat available and the higher the deficit the higher the amount of lean mass lost.
  • franceslinton
    franceslinton Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I learned that fewer calories or more exercise to create a larger deficit Is what is needed when you're within 10ish lbs to goal. BUT, your goal might not be so low that your body fights. this is just hearsay though.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,929 Member
    Options
    I learned that fewer calories or more exercise to create a larger deficit Is what is needed when you're within 10ish lbs to goal. BUT, your goal might not be so low that your body fights. this is just hearsay though.
    Depends on where your goal is. If your goal is such that you will end up with little body fat, you will want to maintain a slow loss to minimize non fat mass loss.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    The lbs left to go stand as proxy for the amount of free fat that you have.

The less fat available and the higher the deficit the higher the amount of lean mass lost.

This, plus as you hit maintenance it's easier if the leap to calories you can consume is slightly lower..there is less thermodynamic adaptation (although the metabolic effect on TDEE is fairly low at the best of times) also you learn better habits for maintenance ...understanding the difference between what I'm eating now to lose 0.5lbs and what I'll end up eating is like an extra slice of bread and a banana helps you work out the "lifestyle" IMO ...it's a good behavioural technique
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    You can only utilise so much stored fat. The lower your bf% the less you can utilise.

Basically, if the goal's fat loss, then you need a smaller deficit the closer you get to being lean. If you don't care how you look at some notional "goal weight" then have a large deficit and lose bone density, muslce tissue and connective tissue along with the fat.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    I lost 1.2 pounds the week before I started maintenance and just did a powerslide from like a 500 deficit on a Saturday to maintenance on a Sunday. So far, so good.