new to gaining weight the healthy way

Options
1st time using fitnesspal and im excited!!! Ive always been small my entire life. I'm female, 5'6 and currently at 144lbs. My average weight is 125-130 lbs. I've always hated being on the thin side and just want a strong healthy body. My fat tends to go to my stomach and my outter thighs (saddlebags are the devil)!!!. Im new to this whole gaining healthy weight journey, all this macro talk has me lost! Anyways im in the process of increasing my calorie intake slowly and focusing on strength training. Im learning as i go and would like to meet some people with the same goals that are consistent and encouraging. I dnt know personally of anyone that's in the process of gaining weight esp being female.

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    are you new to lifting?

I would recommend the following macros setting - protein should be at .65 to .85 grams per pound of body weight; fats a t .45 grams per pound of body weight; fill in rest with carbs.

Also, while the majority of your foods should come from nutrient dense sources so that you hit micros, don't be afraid to fill in with calorie dense sources like ice cream, bagels, pasta, etc.

you also need a structured lifting program like all pro beginner, strong lifts, or new rules of lifting for woman < I am assuming that you are a beginner to lifting….
  • Brolympus
    Brolympus Posts: 360 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    are you new to lifting?

I would recommend the following macros setting - protein should be at .65 to .85 grams per pound of body weight; fats a t .45 grams per pound of body weight; fill in rest with carbs.

Also, while the majority of your foods should come from nutrient dense sources so that you hit micros, don't be afraid to fill in with calorie dense sources like ice cream, bagels, pasta, etc.

you also need a structured lifting program like all pro beginner, strong lifts, or new rules of lifting for woman < I am assuming that you are a beginner to lifting….

+1. I would just like to add emphasis to the importance of using a lifting program like StrongLifts when you first start and sticking to the program. You should be focusing on learning how to perform big, compound barbell movements. These will give you the best results in the shortest time-frame. You will need to supplement these lifts with some smaller iso movements here and there, but the big lifts like squats, deadlifts, overhead press, bench press, pull-ups, rows, etc. should be the meat and potatoes of any good program
  • themgainzthough
    themgainzthough Posts: 3 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Thank you guys. Yes im new to lifting. I need to read up on macro, micros, dense... lol kinda lost. I'll look into those programs. Thanx again.