Help! Counting Macros but do I watch calories?

Options
I just started counting my macros using Myfitnesspal but I have a question, do I just ignore my calorie intake? It's confusing for sure.

Replies

• soccerkon26
    soccerkon26 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    If you watch your calories, that is what is going to get you to lose weight.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    If you count macros, you're also counting calories.
  • Faithful_Chosen
    Faithful_Chosen Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Perhaps it's important to get your goal clear first: what are you tryi9ng to do? Loose fat/weight? Or built muscle? hitting your macros is more important for muscle building, but for weight loss, you need to mind your calories more.
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    pepper456 wrote: »
    I just started counting my macros using Myfitnesspal but I have a question, do I just ignore my calorie intake? It's confusing for sure.

I would worry more about calories than macros. I'll do a sanity check on my macros every now and then but when losing weight you need to count calories for sure.
  • cajuntank
    cajuntank Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    First and foremost, calories are the dictating variable that influence weight loss and weight gain. What that weight gain or loss consists of (muscle and/or fat) will be influenced by the macronutrients that make up those calories. So to lose weight, you need to be in a calorie deficit (period). Now what that weight loss is (muscle and/or fat) will be determined by training stimulus and the reasonable intake of macronutrients... (i.e... enough protein to keep more muscle and lose more fat when dieting).
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    Protein = 4 calories per gram
    Carbs = 4 calories per gram
    Fat = 9 calories per gram

If you're counting macros at an appropriate deficit, you are also implicitly counting calories. You aren't ignoring calories by counting macros. Macros are what provide the calories.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    Options
    your calories are actually the thing that matters most...

it's good to be generally aware of your macros in order to make sure you're getting proper, balanced nutrition...but calories are what matter in RE to weight management, not macros.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    Just keep in mind: The calories on nutritional labels is never accurate. If you hit your macros perfectly, your calories will be off.

If you want to focus on your macros, don't even think about your calories. If you're hitting your macros, your calories will be right as well, even if they show up wrong.

The amount of calories in each macro does not change.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    Calories are most important.
    I like when I also come close to the macro goals, but it's not a big deal if they're a bit off.
    The other problem is that they change if you add exercise. :confused: So if you want to aim at them, make note
    of what they should be (what they are before you add exercise, including calories).

51637601.png
  • pepper456
    pepper456 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thank you ALL for your replies....looks like I won't be stressing soo much on the macro numbers now. I am trying to loose fat. 40 pounds of fat would be nice! TGIF and thanks again.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    your calories are actually the thing that matters most...

it's good to be generally aware of your macros in order to make sure you're getting proper, balanced nutrition...but calories are what matter in RE to weight management, not macros.

^^This. As long as you stay within your calorie range, you will lose weight no matter what your macros are. That is not to say you shouldn't strive to hit your macros; just don't go over your caloric intake to do so. It all works out.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
  • 04888allan
    04888allan Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    pepper456 wrote: »

Its really quite easy Calories in to calories out
    So if your goal is to lose weight then count those calories and keep the ratio to 500 calories less a day to what you normally would eat.
    Macros are important also as you want more calories from protien than carbs
    The more muscle you have the more fat you will burn
    Good luck