I finally overcame a mental barrier that had held me back since childhood! :D

Options
tyediri
tyediri Posts: 183 Member
I know this is a different kind of success story, but I just wanted to share!! Sorry in advance for the waffle!

I have always considered myself unfit because I was overweight as a child and hated sport, and although I lost all the weight and was 119 pounds for most of my teen years (at 5'4) I still considered myself week and unfit.

In 2013 I went for a run with my now husband and after 5 minutes felt so dizzy and sick that I had to stop. That night I got a high fever and was off work for a few days. A few weeks after I joined a gym and went on the cross trainer for 7 minutes (I remember this exactly) and had to sit down on an exercise bike because I thought I'd throw up. That was the end of my gym visit that day.

Almost exactly 2 years ago I went for a zumba class with the most amazing, bonker instructor that I have ever met. Although 10 minutes in I did not think I'd finish the class, the instructor made me laugh so much that I stayed, and I went the next week, and the week after...
I have been going for zumba for about 2 years non-stop now and in those 2 years I have had periods where I have combined zumba with body pump, body combat, swimming, running, etc, but zumba has always been the once constant that I never stopped doing.

Yesterday I did a 3 hour zumbathon for McMillian Cancer and expected to wake up really sore, but I can barely feel it!!! I feel tired due to the late night I had, but other than that, I just feel normal. And I got through the entire "thon" without flagging and even at the 2 hour 45 minute mark, I was doing full 90 degree squats!!!!

For the first time in my life I believe I am fit and strong and it is an amazing feeling. I have also been training for a 10k on Sunday (2 days after the zumbathon. yes, that was brilliant planning) and I am feeling excited about it and not dreading it for the first time!!!

Yay!!!!

It is amazing how much a mental barrier can affect you, even if your body is STRONG and capable. I feel like I can do anything now.

Not to forget my absolutely amazing, bonkers zumba instructor, who is also my friend, Paula! I would not have stuck with it if it wasn't for her!

I may actually consider working towards a triathlon (can't do a marathon, I get bored running for that long)! Yay!

Thanks for reading you amazing people!!! xxx

Replies

• lebafit
    lebafit Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    So happy for you. Mind over matter always wins!!
  • thereshegoesagain
    thereshegoesagain Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!
  • slhass10
    slhass10 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    That is awesome!!
  • Awesome4Always
    Awesome4Always Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    That is so awesome! Congratulations! I just started Zumba 2 months ago and I've already lost 15 lbs.
    I have a bonkers instructor too, and I love her to bits! I look forward to going to my classes daily, maybe when I get down to my goal weight I'll try a zumbathon :smiley:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!