Runners...

Options
adreal
adreal Posts: 229 Member
Anyone run everyday?? Do you find it hard on your knees?

I usually try to get in my long runs on the weekend but don't want to overdo it during the week by running every day. I can usually only get in 3 miles during the week and try for 4-6 on the weekends (would like for this to be more but it is just 10,000 degrees here)

So does anyone run everyday??

Replies

• funjen1972
    funjen1972 Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    I do! I usually have a real light day where I only run about 2 miles then walk a few more. Occasionally I'll take a day off due to scheduling conflicts. I have found that my runs are better after that occasional day off so I'm considering incorporating a weekly rest day.
  • adreal
    Options
    I usually try to run two to three days during the week and Saturday or Sunday as my long run day. Sunday usually is my day off from any work out except maybe a walk. But I do some strength stuff during the week too. I woke up this morning planning to run and had a pain in my knee and decided to do something more low impact. Just didn't know if there were people who ran everyday.
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    Different things work for different people. There are a couple runners in the long distance running group here on MFP who run every day. Some people even run doubles (more than once a day). Half marathon and marathon training plans have you run anywhere from 3-6 days a week. Most well-known running coaches/authors (Pfitzing, Daniels, Noakes, etc) recommend at least one complete rest day per week.

For me, personally, two rest days work best when I'm running high mileage with some intense days for marathon training. If mileage is lower or all easy aerobic, I can get away with six, or five running days and a real cross training day (as opposed to, say, walking my dog).
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I run every day, twice a day 3 to 5 days a week, and three times a day 3 times a week. The secrets to do it are:

- Build up to it over time, it may take several years to build your body's resilience.
    - Get your running form perfect so nothing is stressed unduly.
    - On multiple runs a day only one can be hard. The other ones shorter and easier.
    - Run easy most of the time. Not easy by short but easy in effort, less than around 77% max heart rate. Do hard workouts only about twice a week.
    - Monitor recovery closely and take a reduced training day or a day off if needed. I usually need to take one every month if I start getting behind in recovery.
    - Take one day a week really easy. My day is Friday with only one 3 mile run at less than 70% max heart rate. (My typical day is a 7.5 mi run early, a 2 mi barefoot run at lunch 3 times a week, and 3 to 4 miles late in the afternoon)
    - Get enough sleep and while you can still eat in a deficit and lose weight do not cut your carbs too much. I have been trying to eat over 400 carbs a day and am still dropping weight pretty fast (a lb or more a week when I don't lose focus and cheat)
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I run 6 days a week lately. My rest day is usually a complete rest day. I don't find it to be hard on my knees. Then again, I've been running for something like 8 or 9 years (and have had my fair share of knee problems in that time, let me tell you!) and I am currently marathon training.

If you find your running schedule to be hard on your knees, considering backing off the miles for a week or two to let your body recover and then work your way back up. I also find that doing bodyweight lunges and squats keep my knees happy :) How long have you been running for? If you're fairly new to running, there will be lots of aches and pains to get through, and thus necessary rest days, before you can begin thinking about running 6-7 days a week. Most people don't run every single day because our bodies need time for rest and recovery (unless you're @scottb81 ;)).
  • erimethia_fekre
    erimethia_fekre Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    When I was a runner, I ran 5 days a week at least a 10k. It wasn't hard on my knees at all but I was also use to training for ultra marathons.

I haven't ran since I was pregnant with my son. I was put on bed rest due to complications so getting back into it has been hard. My doctor also told me I need to lose the 30lb I gain with him before I start back into running again. So right now I'm completing an insanity 60 challenge (to get the soft tissue back into the motions) then when I'm back to my 150-155 self, I'll pick back up where I started, but might do 5ks a day 4-6 days per week until I'm back to where I was.

I find it easier to wake up at 6am and finish my run before 7am due to my busy lifestyle. It starts my day out right imo
  • adreal
    Options
    @scottb81 I do find that I am not getting enough carbs for my long run days and run out of energy quick. another thing I am trying to work through is the heat. I am good about 30-70 degrees no humidy. But we are at the coast and every morning has at least 80% humidty and then I have asthma. So I have a few challenges that keep me from running all the time.
    @kristinegift I have been running pretty steady since October of last year. So I am still building my endurance and getting things where I would like them. I do have a 1/2 planned for this year and really want to get that done. That is my bucket list for this year :)
    @imaharidge I have to work out first thing in the morning. I just don't have time with the kids to work out at night and work a full time job. I have to do it while they are sleeping and I don't want to give up any time with them.

Thanks for everyone's advice. I am trying to find my way and not hurt myself. It is such a journey.
  • scottb81
    Options
    The heat is killing me too (in Georgia). I do have a gym available, on my military base, so I have been using the airconditioned treadmill for some of the runs. Usually the longer ones on the weekend and the late afternoon runs during the week. That helps a lot to reduce the overall stress level on my body and plus I can run at least a minute faster per mile with the same heartrate when I am out of the oppressive humidity and heat.
  • adreal
    Options
    This heat is no joke and I had a great distance and stride going right before the humidty hit and when it did....It took time off my mile. I was just getting to the point that I could run solid and keep about a 9.5 minute mile. Now I am lucky if I can get 10.5. It is so tough and discouraging when I have this half to plan for and I cant get the distance I need.

I do have an indoor track I can get to but I just hate running inside :) I feel like I don't get anywhere :)
  • scottb81
    Options
    You will automatically speed up again when it cools so if your race is in the fall you will be ok. The danger in the summer is exhausting yourself trying to push cool weather paces when its really hot and humid. So, you shouldn't be discouraged about the summer slowdown.
  • DStroyNKonker
    DStroyNKonker Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I think you're doing great! I love John Stanton's training schedule for the half marathon (from the running room). I used it last year for my first half and I'm doing it again this year along side a bunch of other activities. I like it because the distance is built up very gradually. My race is at the end of September and right now I'm doing 3-4mile runs 4 mornings during the week and a 6-7mile long run on the weekend.Throw some hills and fartleks in there and you're good to go! You got this:)
  • adreal
    Options
    @scottb81 I was able to go to the mountains last weekend and ran on some of those hills and kept a good pace so that was a renewal in my courage. My half isn't until 10/18 and those mornings here are usually 50-60 degrees so that helps a lot. This hot weather is hard to keep my strength and stamina up.

@DesireeKrieger Thank you for the encouragement. It is a struggle to keep up sometimes but I try to get at least 2-3 3 mile runs in during the week and then get a long run on the weekends. So hopefully by half time I will be a little longer on mileage. It is hard to find hills at sea level :) We have nice flat running ground here. But being in the mountains last weekend those hill really were a boost of confidence :)
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    Scott's advice about building up slowly is stellar.

Some weeks I run every day, others not but then mostly due to schedule. I'm mostly putting in slower endurance training from which I can easily recover overnight, although I wonder if the mountain knee knackering trail runs need longer... But I like hills.

Listen to your body and have fun!
  • adreal
    Options
    @mwyvr I could easily get in 2-3 miles a morning, but have been leary of doing it for fear of hurting myself. Maybe I just need to try it for a week. We have no hills here. It is flat and straight. The ocean will do that to you :)
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    adreal wrote: »
    @mwyvr I could easily get in 2-3 miles a morning, but have been leary of doing it for fear of hurting myself. Maybe I just need to try it for a week. We have no hills here. It is flat and straight. The ocean will do that to you :)

If you are doing 2-3 days/wk currently, I would probably just increase it by 1 day per week for a couple of weeks at a time. No need to rush it. Increasing your weekly mileage quickly can lead to injury and burn out.

• adreal
    Options

If you are doing 2-3 days/wk currently, I would probably just increase it by 1 day per week for a couple of weeks at a time. No need to rush it. Increasing your weekly mileage quickly can lead to injury and burn out.

[/quote]

Some weeks I get 4 days and some I get 3..Depending on weather, heat and how I feel but I just don't want to burn out or hurt something so it is tough to run every day.

• litsy3
    litsy3 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    I think if you are worrying too much about pace you are more likely to hurt yourself. If you build up to running really slow and easy every day you shouldn't have any problems. The pace will come later (a) when it's cooler, but especially (b) when you're doing higher (easy) mileage.
  • adreal
    Options
    ieizp7e8lvij.jpg

I did it!!! Got 6 miles in. First time I have since the spring!!!
  • beagle1130
    beagle1130 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Great job...especially in the middle of the hot & humid summer!
  • Timorous_Beastie
    Timorous_Beastie Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Great job!

I'm training for a hypothetical half-marathon. I'm not actually doing on (yet), but I just want to be able to go the distance. My brother and niece are my racing buddies, and they're doing one in the fall, but I can't do the one they're doing.

I usually run 3x a week and don't like to run on back to back days. I also strength train 2-3x a week, on non-running days. Ideally 3x, but now that my long runs are over 10 miles and even my short runs are over 5 miles, I want another rest day in the mix. And, yeah... the humidity is like running in soup.