Do I count walking as exercising?

Options
i walk my dogs every other day and interval training. But idk if to add or not from map my run?

Replies

• rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    Yes, count it. That's why people use pedometers and fitbits. Just don't overestimate your calorie burn.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    i count it when its over and above just normal activity, like if i go for a hike or spend time on the treadmill
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,124 Member
    Options
    If I walk at work or walk around the grocery store or something ... no I don't count it.

If go for a walk ... I count it.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    i walk my dogs every other day and interval training. But idk if to add or not from map my run?

Connect your MFP + MapMy accounts at https://www.myfitnesspal.com/apps/show/110
  • wendy0210
    wendy0210 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Like others, I count it if it's above and beyond what I normally do in a day.
  • whatatime2befit
    whatatime2befit Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I do, if i'm going on a walk for exercise. Not my normal day to day walking.

If you eat back any of your exercise calories, eat back only about half. MFP tends to have overinflated calories for most cardio exercises, including walking.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! You're making a special effort; not just walking to your car to go to the grocery store!
  • CostaRica120
    CostaRica120 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I'm wondering about this too. I've been participating in a walking challenge at work and have greatly increased my walking. I'm walking to an from work an hour each way and then some. I've been waking around 20,000 steps per day and nearly hit 30,000 yesterday. I've compared calorie burn estimates on my pedometer, treadmill and MFP and they're all pretty close. My 20,000 steps = approx 800 calories. How many of those would you guys suggest I allow myself to eat?
  • whatatime2befit
    whatatime2befit Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I only eat up to half my exercise calories. So if I entered my exercise for the day and got an extra 800 calories, I would eat no more than 400.
  • cindyangotti
    cindyangotti Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I would only eat back 200 -250 for just walking.
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I walk my dog twice a day. I climb up and down to the street/4th floor several times a day. Walk to the store and back and walk to public transportation at least three days a week and back home again at night. I count none of it as exercise, because it is part of my daily lifestyle, like brushing my teeth, or taking a shower.
    I walk a minimum of 30 minutes and often a bit more for myself and for my health and I count this as exercise. I am not 100% right now, because I am still recovering from a double heart attack, but before I walked six days a week. I counted the calories I burned, but did not make a special effort to eat the extra calories or any part of it.
    So far I have lost 65 pounds.
    My reason: Because I once before got used to eat at least half of my exercise calories back ( which at the time was considerably more than now, because I exercised a lot more). I had an accident and could not exercise and had a heck of a time to eat 400 calories a day less. It did not work and I started to gain weight. Since I burn a lot less calories on exercise now ( and have no intentions to exercise just so I can eat ...see previous sentences ) I just don't bother with the 100-150 calories I could eat more on a good day.
    If I were a lot younger ( I am almost 70) and burned several hundred calories a day on exercise, I might increase my intake by a couple hundred calories, but at my age, activity level, health and being under five feet tall it's just no longer a big consideration for me.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    I've been participating in a walking challenge at work and have greatly increased my walking. I'm walking to an from work an hour each way and then some.

Work (including commuting, housework, yard work & child care) is part of your activity level, and should not be logged as exercise. Work = activity level; workouts = exercise.

Increase your activity level and don't log walking to & from work.

If your pedometer syncs with MFP, it'll give you an adjustment every day for the difference between your pedometer burn and your MFP activity level: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/apps
  • CostaRica120
    CostaRica120 Posts: 274 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    editorgrrl wrote: »
    I've been participating in a walking challenge at work and have greatly increased my walking. I'm walking to an from work an hour each way and then some.

Work (including commuting, housework, yard work & child care) is part of your activity level, and should not be logged as exercise. Work = activity level; workouts = exercise.

Increase your activity level and don't log walking to & from work.

If your pedometer syncs with MFP, it'll give you an adjustment every day for the difference between your pedometer burn and your MFP activity level: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/apps

My pedometer doesn't sync to MFP. And I see what you're saying, but walking over 5km each way to work isn't (wasn't) part of my regular activity. I don't think my body knows the difference between the calories I burn during regular activity versus purposeful exercise, so I don't think it's as simple as counting one versus the other. I think I am burning more calories each day in my 2+ hours of walking to work compared to my 30 minute exercise run, so I don't know that it makes sense to only count the calories for the latter. I do know that the sedentary activity level on MFP already takes into account "some" level of physical activity. Does someone know how to figure out what that is? Maybe I could use that? For example, if sedentary includes 250 cals of regular daily physical activity, then maybe I could subtract that from my calorie estimate based on my pedometer and the excess is then my calories earned? (e.g. pedometer says I burned 800 cal, MFP already credits 250 cal, so I earned 550 extra?) Not that I'd necessarily eat all of that, since I know there's a margin of error, but would that make sense?
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    It depends on how you set MFP. Did you choose sedentary? Then log it. If you chose something else, then you might or might not need to log it.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    i did (i go to the gym now, but when i started, walking was my only exercise)
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    I took a look at all of the exercising I have done over the last 6 months. My biggest burn is through walking. I would track walking the dogs and intentional exercise. If you are not losing weight, then don't track it :)
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,533 Member
    Options
    (Your doggies don't get to be walked every day? I bet they are sad. :'(:'( )
  • javimendoza
    javimendoza Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I have a garmin pedometer.... work in a large plant.... i have a daily goal of 10000 steps... thats around 7 km.... and 500 calories.... as i try to reach my goal.... i consider it a workout. The days i feel lazy i try to walk at least 5 km.... and when im not in the mood.... walk up to 3 km... around 280 calories. By yesterday.... i had walk around 50 km for this month. Walking is good if you try to take a walk for at least 10 min or complete 1 km.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I'm wondering about this too. I've been participating in a walking challenge at work and have greatly increased my walking. I'm walking to an from work an hour each way and then some. I've been waking around 20,000 steps per day and nearly hit 30,000 yesterday. I've compared calorie burn estimates on my pedometer, treadmill and MFP and they're all pretty close. My 20,000 steps = approx 800 calories. How many of those would you guys suggest I allow myself to eat?

How long did it take you to walk the 20,000 steps? What is your BMR? Does your pedometer, treadmill or MFP account for your BMR?

• CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    personally, I count it if it makes me walk more. yeah. but I don't count walking like from my car to my house, or around the office. But if I go on a lunch walk, I count it. I also have my setting to sedentary.