Activity level meaning

Options
hi! When it asks you for your activity level, is it asking for your activity level outside of working out or including working out?

Replies

• shadowofender
    shadowofender Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Activity level does not include workouts. On MFP you add your workouts in later.

My activity level is sedentary because I have a desk job. I go back and add my workouts when they happen.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Your normal daily activity, without exercise.
  • amandajademtl
    amandajademtl Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Okay thank you!
  • amandajademtl
    Options
    And for the workouts, I lot of mine aren't in the system. Is it really important to add them even if they aren't deducting calories for them since they are strength training and not cardio?
  • mokano7
    mokano7 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Amanda, as long as you know how many calories you're burning, you can usually add a new exercise and type it in. If you don't, try healthstatus.com They have a really elaborate calorie counting generator. If they don't have it http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/calories.htm these guys will.
    Secondly, I hate to ask what might seem like a redundant question, but I've looked at a number of sources including this one: http://antranik.org/proper-activity-level-for-calorie-intake/ and I just keep getting more confused. I work a desk job, but on any given day I'll do 90-240 minutes of trail walking at speeds of 4.5-5mph. Does that still qualify as Sedentary?
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    mokano7 wrote: »
    I work a desk job, but on any given day I'll do 90-240 minutes of trail walking at speeds of 4.5-5mph. Does that still qualify as Sedentary?

Activity level & exercise are two totally different things. Your activity level is everything you do regularly, including work, commuting, housework, yard work & childcare. Exercise is logged separately.

Set your activity level to sedentary, and log your trail walking.

Have you read the Sexypants post? So much good "how to" information: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1
  • amandajademtl
    Options
    Thank you!! I will check those sites out when I can! I don't know how many calories I'm burning but I do a lot of weight training so I'm not sure how they take into the muscle you gain and what not.

If I work as a daycare educator (in the summers) would that be lightly active? Since I'm on my feet all day long and moving things around, sometimes joining in the sports they do. The weekends I'm pretty sedentary but Monday-Friday I'm at work.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    If I work as a daycare educator (in the summers) would that be lightly active? Since I'm on my feet all day long and moving things around, sometimes joining in the sports they do. The weekends I'm pretty sedentary but Monday-Friday I'm at work.

Raise your activity level, then reevaluate your progress after two weeks.