Dry August - anyone with me?

Options
PInkpug
PInkpug Posts: 10 Member
Hey,
So I love a glass of wine, I live in Malta and sitting on the terrace in the Med with a glass of wine is practically a requirement. However I know it is stopping me losing the 20lbs I still need to lose. Not only is it extra calories - but the extra alcohol calories usually leads to extra carbs! I love wine so this is going to be a real challenge for me, anyone up to come along for the ride and offer each other motivational support?

Add me as a friend and we can support each other through dry August.

Replies

• 00VeggieMommy00
    00VeggieMommy00 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm with ya if I can come to Malta!
  • swirlybee
    swirlybee Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I've been trying to lose the last 5 lbs and try as I might, it's the alcohol that is really keeping me from doing that. I was able to lose the first 15 lbs while still drinking a moderate amount but I really need to buckle down to lose the last 5. Sending you a friend request right now.
  • skinnykins432
    skinnykins432 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Give 5:2 a try and that way you can still have your glass of wine but only on the 5 non fast days :-)
  • PInkpug
    Options
    Skinnykins432 - are you on the 5:2? Are you finding it works well?
  • PInkpug
    Options
    swirlybee - thanks for the add :)

00VeggieMo - hahahah August is HOT most people on the Island who live here leave!
  • delivered2015
    delivered2015 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I'm in albeit reluctantly! LOL But, I too know it is stopping me from achieving my weight loss and fitness goals, so I'm with you ;)
  • Maggiedd01
    Maggiedd01 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    At last a group of people with the same challenge I'm definitely in, in fact my dry starts today. Does any one know of a non alcoholic drink that isn't sweet to use as a substitute
  • PInkpug
    Options
    Ah glad we have some more people here to motivate the group.

My mum drinks Angostura Bitters, while technically this is alcohol you only put one or two dashes in a tall class of soda water, so it is so diluted it is almost non-alcoholic! You can get a drink called Kinnie here - which is also bitter. But haven't see it anywhere else!
  • PInkpug
    Options
    And there is always bitter lemon
  • mmebouchon
    mmebouchon Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Club soda with a squirt of lemon or lime gets me through most of the time. If I am really living on the wild side I add an ounce of pure cranberry juice, no sugar added.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    I'll join in from the 3rd if that is ok? I'm on holiday until then and always need to rest my liver on my return :)
  • Imogensmom
    Imogensmom Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I'm in for 5:2 in August if I can participate that way?
  • Breathe234
    Breathe234 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I am starting tomorrow-today-Monday.
    Is anyone happy about this?
  • delivered2015
    Options
    No! :s LOL! But, I'm hopeful the results will be worth it.
  • DPP15
    DPP15 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm with you! I enjoy good wine and a few good cocktails here and there. It has become a nightly habit though. What stinks is I eat healthy and I exercise consistently 5 days a week. I know it is the alcohol that is keeping me 15 pounds above my goal weight. We have a Caribbean vacation planned the first week in Sept. My goal is no alcohol, Fitness Pal consistently and 10 pounds gone in 5 weeks!!!
  • delivered2015
    Options
    Hi @DPP15 and welcome! Your goal sounds reasonable and doable. IF we don't self-sabotage ourselves:( Let's keep the eye on the prize!
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    I'm down!

I'll definitely replace the wine with martinis!
  • PInkpug
    Options
    I'll join in from the 3rd if that is ok? I'm on holiday until then and always need to rest my liver on my return :)

100% the more the merrier will need all the Support I can get with a party on the 15th and family over staying with us as well!
  • PInkpug
    Options
    Imogensmom wrote: »
    I'm in for 5:2 in August if I can participate that way?
    I've been meaning to try this for ages but find it so hard to stick to! Could give it a whirl while doing dry August! Better kill two birds with one stone!
  • PInkpug
    Options
    Been rubbish this past week and haven't been logging into FP. 1st August here I come time for a reboot