How do you motivate yourself to work out?

Options
I have this folder in my computer of pictures that really motivate me for ex. Beyonce in a bikini (hot!), and whenever I feel like I might not want to workout, I just look through them and get inspired. Or I try on a pair of jeans that are a little bit to small (I always buy a pair that's a size smaller. My "motivational jeans" I call them lol) This stuff might not make sense to other people, but it really helps me get pumped. What do you do to get motivated? Any secrets or tips for those days when u'd just rather skip the gym?? :)

Replies

• registers
    registers Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I go in to great detail about motivation and how to do it, in my blog.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/asmcriminal/view/psychology-and-motivation-103881
  • parkgirl1
    parkgirl1 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I just think if i dont, I will always be fat and unhealthy and people will say yer yer just another diet shes going to fail that generally works for me lol xx
  • Macacadopai
    Macacadopai Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I go in to great detail about motivation and how to do it, in my blog.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/asmcriminal/view/psychology-and-motivation-103881

Great post!
  • snflwr04
    snflwr04 Posts: 46
    Options
    I keep a photo of the old me on my treadmill. I also have the excess skin and streatch marks left over from the old me - one look in the mirror and I'm planning my next workout
  • lhurtubise
    lhurtubise Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I have this folder in my computer of pictures that really motivate me for ex. Beyonce in a bikini (hot!), and whenever I feel like I might not want to workout, I just look through them and get inspired. Or I try on a pair of jeans that are a little bit to small (I always buy a pair that's a size smaller. My "motivational jeans" I call them lol) This stuff might not make sense to other people, but it really helps me get pumped. What do you do to get motivated? Any secrets or tips for those days when u'd just rather skip the gym?? :)

LOVE THE MOTIVATION JEANS! I think I will try that!
  • FemininGuns
    FemininGuns Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I simply remember when I was NOT able to exercise and remember the promise I made "when I get healthy, watch me go!" That's what keeps me going - Plus I LOVE to move and feel awesome!!! AND much happier when I stick to my exercise schedule!
  • flausa
    flausa Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I asked my hubby when I first started this journey to provide gentle encouragement when I need it. So on days when I'm feeling a little bit slug-like, all he has to say is "you know you'll feel better once you've done it" or "you know you'll regret not doing it." It's not a big thing, but it certainly seems to make a huge difference.
  • littlemissanguissette
    littlemissanguissette Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I'm buying a pair of motivational jeans, I used to have a pair but I tossed them last year because I figured there was no way I'd ever get back into a size four haha
  • mak_101
    mak_101 Posts: 28
    Options
    I just got into my "motivational jeans"....time to buy a NEW pair. Been waiting 2 years to get into those jeans.
  • beccarockslife
    beccarockslife Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I think about how fab I feel when I'm done.
  • Felesina1
    Felesina1 Posts: 142
    Options
    While my start of loosing weight started a very long time ago and 150 pounds heavier, I keep my "fat pictures" of me back then as motivation on my bathroom mirror. Even today, when I show them to people I love to hear, "My god! That's was you!! It doesn't even look like you!" So now that I'm into the phase of dieting/exercising to get to a weight that I want, I still use those pictures to remind me of how far I've come!
  • debbiequack
    debbiequack Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    There's a lot written about motivation with respect to ceasing substances (which I think is a similar topic to weight loss or any major behavior change).

To be honest, I don't feel very motivated. When I see that scale go down, and when I notice I'm stronger, I feel motivated, etc.

I'm a pretty routine oriented person, so if I put exercise into my morning routine, then I'm pretty sure I'll stick with it. That's how I combat my motivation problems. Once I do it, I feel more motivated. It's something called "behavioral activation"-- there really is a psych concept behind "just do it" in terms of making yourself feel better. Depressed people don't feel like socializing but if they "just do it', they feel better. Same with exercise.

It's maybe too early in the morning to be trying to make sense, but I hope this helps :)
  • rgoodearl
    rgoodearl Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I try to keep a schedule of events planed like 5k's and bike rides and staying active on MFP (my accountability partners) ! :happy:
  • MoLivesLuvsLifts
    MoLivesLuvsLifts Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    I'm still in the beginning of my weight loss journey. I have 150 lbs to lose and have lost 32 lbs to date. So, I just do it. I work out everyday. I enter alot of challenges (I'm in 6 now) to keep me accountable. I don't like it. I feel lazy. But somehow I always feel GREAT when I'm done. So, just strap on your shoes and get going!

Oh yeah...sometimes if I feel sick or down before I go to bed, I actually wear my workout clothes to bed so that I can "pop" out of bed the next morning and exercise.

I've now moved form morbidly obese to obese. That said, I just got to "git 'er done"!
  • jonathandavid_t
    jonathandavid_t Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I click the link for MyFitnessPal and see things like this posted on my 'wall':

Macacadopai burned 1155 calories doing 107 minutes of "Gym: Treadmill, weights, elliptical"

THAT motivates me :)
  • Macacadopai
    Macacadopai Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I click the link for MyFitnessPal and see things like this posted on my 'wall':

Macacadopai burned 1155 calories doing 107 minutes of "Gym: Treadmill, weights, elliptical"

THAT motivates me :)

Lol You totally just made my day!! :D much love!
  • cheshirechic
    cheshirechic Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Two words: Wedding dress.

Or these two: Honeymoon bikini.

Haha. It may seem superficial, but it works!
  • PinkAndSparkle
    Options
    Two words: Wedding dress.

Or these two: Honeymoon bikini.

Haha. It may seem superficial, but it works!

couldn't agree more. NO FLABBY ARMS IN WEDDING GOWNS ALLOWED!!
  • guppygirl322
    guppygirl322 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    My hubby does the same. It really helps a lot. Mostly though, it isn't about how I will look, or how thin I will get. To me, it is about being heart healthy. I look at my daughter, and I want to be around a long time, to see her graduate, see her get married, maybe even have the stamina to babysit my grandchildren! I'm in this for the long haul.
  • mamato4kids
    mamato4kids Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I have a few girlfriends that I workout with...we meet at 6am to run...if I don't show up, they knock on my bedroom window! Or call at 6 am and wake me up....including my family! So I get up, so they won't have to hunt me down....waking up my family at the same time!