Rest days. How often?

Options
LolaKarwowski
LolaKarwowski Posts: 217 Member
edited July 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
Do you force yourself to take rest days or do you just take them when you 'feel' like your body needs them? I hate rest days. I like going to the gym every single day as possible and I rarely feel like I need one (I do lift heavy every time I go).

Replies

• ElizabethAnne14
    ElizabethAnne14 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I normally take them on the weekends. With family activities it is just too much of a pain to fit them in. Having said that before I had my little one I didn't take rest days. With just myself and my husband's schedule to work around it was much easier to fit in my exercise. I say take them as you feel you need them, but if you don't over work it when you go, I see no reason to take a rest day.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    If you exercise properly and don't overdo it every day, there is no reason to take a rest day. Unless you observe the Sabbath.
  • LolaKarwowski
    Options
    I normally take them on the weekends. With family activities it is just too much of a pain to fit them in. Having said that before I had my little one I didn't take rest days. With just myself and my husband's schedule to work around it was much easier to fit in my exercise. I say take them as you feel you need them, but if you don't over work it when you go, I see no reason to take a rest day.

I don't feel like I ever over do it. Yes, I challenge myself every single day.. but I don't work out until I pretty much can't move.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    My rest day tends to move around a bit. I take 1-2 each week but they aren't always on the same days. I do them more on a "when I feel like I need it" basis.
  • mymodernbabylon
    mymodernbabylon Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Having been an athlete my entire life, I take at least one rest day a week - I am less likely to burn out, hurt my body and actually allow my body to recover (muscles to grow, etc) if I take at least that one day. It doesn't mean I'm necessarily sitting on my tush, but I'm not 'working out' - I may do some light yoga, go for a long walk or do stretching. But I won't do a tough workout every single day. I've seen the results of overdoing it in others (torn ligaments, burn out, etc) and I'd rather not go there. I love being able to play field hockey at age 46 and I plan on playing until my 80s if possible.
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    Having been an athlete my entire life, I take at least one rest day a week - I am less likely to burn out, hurt my body and actually allow my body to recover (muscles to grow, etc) if I take at least that one day. It doesn't mean I'm necessarily sitting on my tush, but I'm not 'working out' - I may do some light yoga, go for a long walk or do stretching. But I won't do a tough workout every single day. I've seen the results of overdoing it in others (torn ligaments, burn out, etc) and I'd rather not go there. I love being able to play field hockey at age 46 and I plan on playing until my 80s if possible.

This. If you're doing challenging workouts every day-your body is not completely recovering. Eventually this will take its toll. With lifting in particular: if you're not taking breaks you're not allowing recovery and therefore probably not coming into a workout as strong as you could be. You will burn out.

A rest day does not have to mean sitting on the couch. You could go run, take a class, hike. But lifting every, single day seems counterproductive to muscle growth and avoiding injury.
  • Katzedernacht
    Katzedernacht Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I rest on sundays but like, if i am gonna have a suuuper busy saturday or well any other day I rest it, like yesterday I literally fell asleep for 3 hours, not gonna be stubborn when my body is exhausted.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    "Rest" days......rarely, only when I feel the fatigue creeping up, recovery days at least one per week.

Would I be correct in thinking that you're working different parts of your body on different days (legs one day, shoulders another etc)? With weights the strength gains actually occur during recovery so if you were to do a full body routine every day it would be self defeating.
  • cbrook29
    cbrook29 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    There are such things as "Active Rest days" on these days I go to the gym but only lift a fraction of the weights or do not do as much cardio. I am still active and moving. I feel like I am rewardingly myself with a light day. Plus going to the gym everyday forms a good habit and 1 day off for me can Avalanche into 3 days off. If I am really sore or spending time with my family - I will often take a day off and often come back to the gym stronger. Giving my muscles a chance to repair and build. I also am a strong supporter of auto regulation - listen to your body - if it needs a day off it will let you know. Look for the signs.
  • LolaKarwowski
    Options
    "Rest" days......rarely, only when I feel the fatigue creeping up, recovery days at least one per week.

Would I be correct in thinking that you're working different parts of your body on different days (legs one day, shoulders another etc)? With weights the strength gains actually occur during recovery so if you were to do a full body routine every day it would be self defeating.

Yes, I split my workouts. Full body routines are just so boring to me. Active rest days make a lot more sense than just laying on the couch (which is what I considered a rest day to be!). I think that's what I'll do if I feel like I need one. I definitely don't want to injure myself or over do it so I'm glad I asked and you guys answered.